Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Unofficial History of Drama in the Free State
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 337   Go Down

Author Topic: Unofficial History of Drama in the Free State  (Read 1324879 times)

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
Re: Drama in the Free State
« Reply #1455 on: June 16, 2009, 03:44:53 AM »

I know this is an odd question but is there some sort of unfulfilled need for Mexican Restaurants in NH?  There seems to be two Mexican Restaurants now connected in someway with the FSP.   I was thinking about a Southern BBQ / country kitchen sort of restaurant.  I would naturally have to import Cheerwine, moonpies, grits, okra, cornmeal, and Aunt Bertie's Brewed Sweet Tea.  But the other items needed should be easy enough to obtain locally.  I suppose it would be dependent on the numbers of home sick southerns in the state wouldn't it.  It would also depend on the restrictions for decorating the exterior of the place. 

There are a couple BBQ places in Manchester.  There are few Southern places.  Derry has a Cracker Barrel.

There are Mexican places all over NH but nothing like in the South.  Keene has two Mexican places.  NH has a lot more seafood and pizza places than most of the South.  There are also a ton of coffee shop type places with over 1/2 of them being DD.

I am talking about a real BBQ / Country cooking sort of place not something generic like no offense Cracker Barrel.  A real southerner thinks Cracker Barrel is an abomination.  There are even essays on the suckiness of Cracker Barrel.

http://hkentcraig.com/BBQ.html This is a great site to explain about BBQ NC Eastern style vs Western.  And this is my favorite BBQ place in all of NC that I have found to date.  http://hkentcraig.com/BBQ42.html  I know Mr. Lloyd Lewis, he is about the best BBQ chef around and I have even had the privilege of going out to the cookhouse for a tour.  They still keep the smoke cookhouse separate from the main store.  Anyway if you take a peek, it is more like a subway with BBQ.  You go down the line with a tray and pick out an entree with two or three side dishes plus maybe a desert with a drink usually sweet tea.  Now a great many people simply do the takeaway thing and buy a family dinner to go.    They serve on paper plates and the prices are actually very low.  A plate for a person with a drink is around $5.50.  I think their business actually has a bump during bad times as people want the most bang for their money.   I will have to swing by their this weekend and pick up a meal for the family.  You can get a family takeaway meal to feed 4 - 6 people for under 20 bucks, you can't even do that with Domino's anymore.  Oh BBQ catering for an event can't be beat for price.  I managed to buy enough BBQ and fixings to feed 100 people for right around $200 dollars.  I can say I have never seen the parking lot empty except when the place is closed.

Now if I had to do the franchise thing I would pick Smithfield BBQ.  While it is more commercial the food and atmosphere is acceptable.  http://scnbnc.com/locations.php  If any of you are home sick up there in NH they actually will send an emergency BBQ pack to you for a fee.  The mail order stuff is very expensive but they have to send it overnight and pack it in dry ice that is what costs the money.  http://scnbnc.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5Typical pulled pork plate with coleslaw, potato salad and hush puppies.  

If you ever find yourself in Durham NC or at RTP for any reason and don't go to eat some of Mr. Lewis's BBQ it would be like going to New Orleans and not going to Domilise’s Po-Boy & Bar http://www.nolacuisine.com/2008/05/17/domilises-po-boy-bar/.  It wouldn't ruin your trip but you would be missing out on a local favorite dining experience.  

As for becoming a tax collector for the state.  I suppose you mean the only sales tax is on restaurant food.  What is the restaurant tax rate in NH?

Up in the NC Mountains there is an open air bbq pit.  It consist of two fire pits with grads over them under a roof structure with no walls.  They start the night before cooking a couple of pigs in one pit the other pit is devoted to chicken bbq which is started later.  By noon things ready to start selling.  The sides are prepared in a small kitchen building with a window.  Anyway you pay for meal at the window and are given your choice of sides then you go over to the pit with a ticket to get your choice of meat.  It is 100% take away and I think they only do it from mid April to the end of October on Saturdays.  That place is never slow when they are open with a steady stream of customers.  I wish I could remember the name it is one the main street going into Sparta, NC.  It is possible it is just a fund raising enterprise for the local lodge but people do know about it and come from miles around to participate.  Many simply buy their picnic lunch and drive the short distance to the Blue Ridge Parkway to one of the overlook picnic grounds.  

Anyway when I talk about a BBQ place I tend to think of low cost good eats served on disposable dinner ware.  I don't think dishes and waiters with expensive overhead.  

Evil Muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: June 16, 2009, 03:52:52 AM »

How about Taco Bell? 
Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: June 16, 2009, 03:56:57 AM »

They serve on paper plates and the prices are actually very low.  A plate for a person with a drink is around $5.50.  I think their business actually has a bump during bad times as people want the most bang for their money.   I will have to swing by their this weekend and pick up a meal for the family.  You can get a family takeaway meal to feed 4 - 6 people for under 20 bucks, you can't even do that with Domino's anymore.  Oh BBQ catering for an event can't be beat for price.

Dominos used to have the 3 pizzas for $5 each deal which did feed 4-6 people for $15.

Anyway when I talk about a BBQ place I tend to think of low cost good eats served on disposable dinner ware.  I don't think dishes and waiters with expensive overhead.  

When I think of BBQ, I think of Ribs with coleslaw and baked beans or pulled pork with coleslaw and baked beans.  Then again, this is how we did things at the world famous home of BBQ.  They do things different in KS and different still in NC.

Do as you want, but investing $20,000 (or any amount) into a restaurant right now isn't something I would do.
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

Rebel

• Womanizer
  • FTL AMPlifier Platinum
  • Detroit's Finest
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: June 16, 2009, 04:08:57 AM »

Rebel and several others of you may be trolling on the FKF, http://forum.freekeene.com/index.php?topic=1104.msg11012#msg11012

OK, Rebel either likes to troll or is a seriously drunk poster or maybe something else entirely :) , http://forum.freekeene.com/index.php?topic=1104.msg11018#msg11018
Plz don't qualify me as trolling, dude. I'm frustrated with you currently. When did I ever lay you out in public? So, I don't blaspheme the movement, my very good bro and companion. Luv ya.

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: June 16, 2009, 05:54:55 AM »

They serve on paper plates and the prices are actually very low.  A plate for a person with a drink is around $5.50.  I think their business actually has a bump during bad times as people want the most bang for their money.   I will have to swing by their this weekend and pick up a meal for the family.  You can get a family takeaway meal to feed 4 - 6 people for under 20 bucks, you can't even do that with Domino's anymore.  Oh BBQ catering for an event can't be beat for price.

Dominos used to have the 3 pizzas for $5 each deal which did feed 4-6 people for $15.

When I think of BBQ, I think of Ribs with coleslaw and baked beans or pulled pork with coleslaw and baked beans.  Then again, this is how we did things at the world famous home of BBQ.  They do things different in KS and different still in NC.

Do as you want, but investing $20,000 (or any amount) into a restaurant right now isn't something I would do.

Is unemployment really bad in NH right now?  

Then there are different sanitation rules in NC vs NH.  Many people joke about our sanitation rules.  If you have an indoor kitchen there are all kinds of picky rules to follow but put a pit outside or a towable cooker and the inspectors simply go fire check you are good.   Or if you have a mobile cooker like

http://www.grillmangrills.net/pull_behind_pig_cookers.html  One of these cookers will set you back by about 2k.  You would have to get an outdoor fryer and some stainless steel pans plus a food processor to make the cole slaw.  I think someone could be up and going for around 5k plus any state regulations/fees at least on a catering level anyway or fund raising for local churches or civic groups.

ny2nh

• View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: June 16, 2009, 06:33:35 AM »

Let's see what Kevin has to say about the events, shall we?

I say it never happened and you're a goddamned liar. Fair enough? Dave doesn't seem to have the video posted on his site - I tried all the keywords I could think of - but I'm sure we can obtain it if you really want to bicker about this. The closest thing I recall to this scenario was when both Sharon and Beth tried to pull me into the shower, and I forcefully yanked myself out because I didn't want to go in. And if sticking your face in someone's chest (which never happened) constitutes sexual contact, you must be the reverse Bill Clinton.

You are truly living in your own reality if you think that I ever came on to or flirted with Sharon. Honestly, it blows my mind. I met her at Dan and Beth's long before she ever moved to NH and I thought she was a skank from day one. I tolerated her antics until the Rob situation, and that was it.

I'm really quite done with this latest drama... I've had a good laugh about it... but I'm not going to tolerate having my name slandered in this fashion.

Kevin - I watched the video yesterday to see if there was anything.....nope, nadda. Funniest things about that video is when Beth cringes and tells Ivy not to touch her that way. So, even Ivy's friend at the time was getting the heevie-jeevies from her.

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: June 16, 2009, 09:41:16 AM »

« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 11:34:40 PM by HR Puff and Stuff »
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: June 16, 2009, 11:02:05 AM »

While NC has high unemployment than average, NH has lower.
http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=usunemployment&met=unemployment_rate&idim=state:ST330000:ST370000&tdim=true

I don't get that.  Cause our employment classifieds are chop full of help wanted ads.  I looked around NH and couldn't even find a handful of jobs listed on classifieds.  When I go out there are plenty of businesses with help wanted signs in the windows.  I just don't know how they come up with those figures. 

Evil Muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: June 16, 2009, 11:40:02 AM »

they mostly use the number of people who are collecting unemployment from the government.   i believe some other agency also surveys businesses. 
Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

thescoop

• View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: June 16, 2009, 11:53:57 AM »

MaineShark--you're an idiot and an asshole, all rolled into one. Fortunately, you're not a very big idiotic asshole or else you'd probably annoy me more.
So, why don't you keep on slandering and libeling people without providing a single bit of proof. But, if you do have any proof, be sure to post it. I won't hold my breath.
[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dl4PDE6E_TE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dl4PDE6E_TE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

I'll be sure to say hi to at porcfest--if you're there.

Quote from: libertylover on Today at 05:54:55 AM
If you want to open a restaurant in NH right now, I would definitely recommend a dirt cheap hole in the wall place. Don't bother with eat in. Fixed costs are way too high a bbq based on the taco truck would be awesome however (I've eaten there and it's good!)

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #1465 on: June 16, 2009, 01:00:01 PM »

He doesn't seem to be threatening anyone at this point, as long as they aren't running for office
I am running for office.
Is Jesse going to clock me in the jaw if I accidentally pass through his campsite on the way to the field to play Frisbee with my son?

If you cannot handle the heat of vocal anarchists, don't call yourself an anarchist
I am an anarchist.
I am also running for office, because I believe that having people in office who believe in smaller or no government is the best, most peaceful, and fastest way to get to a voluntary society.

Rebel

• Womanizer
  • FTL AMPlifier Platinum
  • Detroit's Finest
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: June 16, 2009, 01:28:43 PM »

Keith, it's shocking and dismaying that you still support Jesse on his rant. And Dennis, I'd be happy to campaign along side you when the time comes.

BonerJoe

« Reply #1467 on: June 16, 2009, 01:32:38 PM »

OH GOD GETTING ELECTED TO STOP THE VIOLENCE IS VIOLENCE! AND LETS DO NOTHING TO STOP THE VIOLENCE BUT THREATEN FELLOW PEOPLE WITH VIOLENCE WHO WISH TO STOP THE VIOLENCE!

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #1468 on: June 16, 2009, 01:40:17 PM »

He doesn't seem to be threatening anyone at this point, as long as they aren't running for office
I am running for office.
Is Jesse going to clock me in the jaw if I accidentally pass through his campsite on the way to the field to play Frisbee with my son?

If you cannot handle the heat of vocal anarchists, don't call yourself an anarchist
I am an anarchist.
I am also running for office, because I believe that having people in office who believe in smaller or no government is the best, most peaceful, and fastest way to get to a voluntary society.

If AJ gives you any crap at Porcfest, I'll RAD him for ya.

What I'll do is this:

I will yell "I ONCE TOOK AN UNEMPLOYMENT CHECK FROM THE STATE OF MICHIGAN!!!" and then when he goes to whip out his MAC11 pea shooter that looks like a submachine gun, I'll yell "YOU SHOELACE IS UNTIED!" and he'll break his neck trying to look at his feet and armpit at the same time.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: June 16, 2009, 01:42:09 PM »

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dl4PDE6E_TE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dl4PDE6E_TE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

This is an awesome video.  Did you know it was a political song which was highly critical of the Polish Leader in 1978.  One of the lines in the song is about asking the leader where he was going to get money for programs.  He replied he would win the money in the National Lottery.  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 337   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Unofficial History of Drama in the Free State

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 28 queries.