Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  One Note George
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: One Note George  (Read 8048 times)

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
One Note George
« on: September 21, 2009, 10:34:16 PM »

9.21.09 show

Funny how the hosts meander off topic to attempt to marginalize George as a Conspiracy Theorist, Redneck and Skinhead. That's a low point, and a weak way to dodge the fair criticism from the caller to the show that says you can talk about anything you want (and then get marginalized if you cross any lines). This is the same droll tactic politicians use to detract from issues they really don't want to address.Talk about "Intellectual Sloth".

I go back and forth between loving the show and getting a little disgusted at FTL's particular style of spin. Surely you guys don't think no one notices..

George makes a couple of good points-

A cop abuses someone? -recant the story and read the quotes of the cop in a redneck voice, even though abusive cops come in all colors, and prey on people of all colors.

There are tons of comments on the show about the mistreatment of "brown people" by whites, so I'd have to agree, Ian does have somewhat of a fixation on race issues, always from the same perspective.

I don't think the guys are racist at all, but I'll tell ya' - the constant stories about "Hey, I met a black guy once!" or I think it was Sam (all apologies to Sam if it wasn't you) who shared a story about how he went to a party and black people were there, saying something like "..and these black people weren't anything at all like I thought they were! They weren't loud and obnoxious.." - those shared tidbits are little weird.

I think what the caller was trying to point out is that for people who speak out against collectivism, there certainly seems to be a lot of it when it comes to race issues. "Brown people" always being victims and whitey always being the oppressors.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Andy

• Verbose.
  • Ask me later.
    • View Profile
    • My Blawg
Re: One Note George
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 01:58:50 AM »

I haven't heard the show, but yes on all three points.

Though the redneck voice on its own is just funny.

Walnut

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 04:41:07 AM »

I always wonder about Mark's "best friend who is black" and whether or not he appreciates Mark using him as a rhetorical bludgeon whenever the subject of race comes up. I tend to think that they're overcompensating because they're afraid of the free state project being associated with racism. I remember one time they jumped all over a guy because he used the term "zionist" in criticising Israel. To be fair, when Jews or black people actually call in, they don't seem to be quite so awkward.

Wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 08:54:37 AM »

I always wonder about Mark's "best friend who is black" and whether or not he appreciates Mark using him as a rhetorical bludgeon whenever the subject of race comes up.

Maybe not, but it's sure been irritating me lately.

I tend to think that they're overcompensating because they're afraid of the free state project being associated with racism.

It's pretty clear they are. They go so far they sometimes come off sounding like those politically-correct liberals who try to coddle minorities and treat them like dumb animals that need tending to.

That said, they probably just haven't given enough thought to how else to differentiate themselves from the many race-centered liberty groups out there. (Just going by what I've heard about and stumbled across, it seems like a majority of "pro-liberty" groups have some sort of race-centered aspect to them... and that's discounting all the cries to "close the border".)

That does remind me though, of something I've been wanting to suggest for a while now....

ATTENTION MARK:

On the topic of the anti-Semite callers....

Look, everyone knows you guys are going to continue getting anti-Zionist kooks who blame the Jews for the ills of the world. And you guys are right to try to show them as morons. But you're really not going about it the right way, IMHO. Anyone listening who actually knows that certain groups and/or industries tend to have an usually high number of Jewish participants is going to think you're just spinning things, since your retorts basically boil down to "Stop being racist! You idiot!"

Maybe you should show what's wrong with the mindset by throwing an analogy back in their face. For example:

BIGOT CALLER: Well, you know the Jews are the problem!

YOU: No, it's the Italians!

BIGOT CALLER: ... What?

YOU: The Italians! Don't you know? They've got organized power structures trying to influence the world! They're responsible for a disproportionately high amount of the crime in New York and Chicago! They're infiltrating everywhere! Forget the Jews man, at least they don't get movies made about them glorifying their sick behavior! Haven't you ever read "The Protocols of Sicily?"

<continued ranting against the Italians, with glaringly obvious parallels>

I'm sure you could take it from there, with the goal being to get them to balk at your broad painting of all Italians as evil, after which you point out that that's the exact same thing they're doing to Jews.

Maybe the bigots listening will actually realize what's wrong with their thought process (and how ignorant they sound) and actually, you know, get it.

Worth a try.

"Buy low, sell high." Are YOU stocking up on silver yet?

gibson042

• Non-Aggression Principal since 2006
    • View Profile
    • gibson.mp
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 02:32:30 PM »

Maybe you should show what's wrong with the mindset by throwing an analogy back in their face. For example:

BIGOT CALLER: Well, you know the Jews are the problem!

YOU: No, it's the Italians!

BIGOT CALLER: ... What?

YOU: The Italians! Don't you know? They've got organized power structures trying to influence the world! They're responsible for a disproportionately high amount of the crime in New York and Chicago! They're infiltrating everywhere! Forget the Jews man, at least they don't get movies made about them glorifying their sick behavior! Haven't you ever read "The Protocols of Sicily?"

<continued ranting against the Italians, with glaringly obvious parallels>

I'm sure you could take it from there, with the goal being to get them to balk at your broad painting of all Italians as evil, after which you point out that that's the exact same thing they're doing to Jews.

Maybe the bigots listening will actually realize what's wrong with their thought process (and how ignorant they sound) and actually, you know, get it.

Worth a try.

I support this.  It wouldn't work every time, but would be wonderful to hear once or twice.
"WOOOOOP  WOOOOOP  WOOOOP EH EH EH EH HHHEEEOOOO HEEEOOOOO" —Rillion

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 04:53:02 PM »

I remember how Larry King used to handle these nuts. "Yeah, they're ALL in on it. The Jews, the Italians, the Germans. You're probably in on it. Hell, I'm not even all that sure about myself!"
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

blackie

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 05:10:57 PM »

Though the redneck voice on its own is just funny.
Too bad he also doesn't do a black voice. That would be awesome.

Harry Tuttle

• Please don't feed the elitists
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 05:15:07 PM »

I remember how Larry King used to handle these nuts. "Yeah, they're ALL in on it. The Jews, the Italians, the Germans. You're probably in on it. Hell, I'm not even all that sure about myself!"

That seems the best answer.

Don't forget the English. They are the worst. Notice how in the movies ALL of the evil people and the powerful have that accent? There is a reason. The sun still has not set on the British empire.
"If you're giving up your freedom to have freedom you don't have freedom, dummy."              - Mark Edge (10/11/08 show)

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 08:33:59 PM »

That seems the best answer.

Don't forget the English. They are the worst. Notice how in the movies ALL of the evil people and the powerful have that accent? There is a reason. The sun still has not set on the British empire.

Yes. Having watched many movies about ancient Rome, I do believe the Brits must have picked up their wonderful accents from the Romans.

KDus

• Democracy=fraud
  • Money
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 12:53:00 AM »

I'm glad that I'm not the only one to hear truth in what George has said.
I too have noticed the glorification of immigrants that come from South of the Rio. A white guy,  me, living among a different race, found that what we have in common; is that we're all different.
Some work hard, some don't. Some have class, some don't.
I don't accept a cliche like, "they're hard working people."
What does seem to be different, is the percentage that will deal with a lower standard of living. I put my family in a 4 bedroom house, the house across the street had 8 working adults living in it, plus the kids. They all drove nicer cars than me. Supply and demand won.
Liberate America!

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 01:13:49 AM »

I feel it is important to recognize the fact that there is a difference between
-Having lots of money but few possessions-
-Having lots of possessions, but being monetarily poor-

Its all about keeping up appearances with the neighbors in some cases.
I think "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" discusses this in depth.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Walnut

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 02:16:04 PM »

Allow me to paraphrase what I believe the insinuation is here - Minorities don't know how to manage money and spend it all on frivolous things, whereas presumably white people don't? Is that what you're trying to say? Because if it is, then you haven't taken a look at how white people live in this country lately.

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 10:10:55 PM »

Opponents of libertarianism (or whatever you wish to call it) often hope to denigrate the movement, however wrongly, as right-wing and racist. I think that Ian and Mark as wise to emphasize in no uncertain terms that belief in personal freedom has nothing whatsoever to do with racism, and that the movement welcomes people of whatever race.

The Green Bastard

• From Parts Unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 10:48:53 PM »

Opponents of libertarianism (or whatever you wish to call it) often hope to denigrate the movement, however wrongly, as right-wing and racist. I think that Ian and Mark as wise to emphasize in no uncertain terms that belief in personal freedom has nothing whatsoever to do with racism, and that the movement welcomes people of whatever race.

I agree this is what they are trying to accomplish. I see nothing wrong with it, but I do feel One Note Ian needs to find some new cutesy phrases...  :mrgreen:

"brown people" and "arbitrary dictates." are becoming a bit hackneyed...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 11:05:12 PM by KTOKTO »

rookie

• THIS DESIGN IS A CLASSIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 04:38:25 AM »

I always wonder about Mark's "best friend who is black" and whether or not he appreciates Mark using him as a rhetorical bludgeon whenever the subject of race comes up.

Do yourself a favor.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  One Note George

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.