Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Ian ::: Learn to Listen
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Ian ::: Learn to Listen  (Read 5766 times)

gimmiebreak

• View Profile
Ian ::: Learn to Listen
« on: February 13, 2011, 07:47:47 AM »

Ian,
No need to argue (just to be right) with each and every caller.  Give each person a minute, let them talk, do comments afterward.  Moderate with respect.  Don't see every caller as crazy.  Listening is an art and highly intellectual people know how to listen *without interrupting*.  Also, do listen to Mark, don't be so quick to discount his remarks about your behavior (and vice-versa).  Admit when your wrong, I promise you'll feel better.   Maybe you need a vacation?  Not an easy job by any means and I do respect your ability to do it quite well, most of the time  :)

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
Re: Ian ::: Learn to Listen
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 08:54:37 AM »

Not an easy job by any means...

Mark might argue this point.

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 11:44:23 AM »

Sales are way more difficult than speaking your opinion.

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 11:47:52 AM »

Sales are way more difficult than speaking your opinion.

or, you just pick an opinion and -push it-

Pizzly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 07:27:16 PM »

He does see a point to try and pick a fight with every caller it seems.
Peace isn't loving your neighbor, peace is simply not killing them.

FTL_Ian

• Professional Iconoclast
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 10:56:51 AM »

Thanks for the thoughts.  I know how to listen, and yes it does take practice.  Many talk hosts don't listen very well at all, but I'm also doing a talk show, so it's important to not let people ramble too long without challenging them, or asking questions.  If you are referring to the woman who called on Saturday night, she just wanted to ramble on about the christian founders and had no interest in having a discussion or answering questions about her statements.  I have nothing for which to apologize in that case.  (And I have certainly apologized before.) 
Please support the show by joining the AMP program at http//amp.freetalklive.com

I blog at http://freekeene.com

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 06:28:57 PM »

Next caller of Free Talk Live, welcome to the show, what's on your mind?

Hi! Thanks for having me. I'd just like to point out that

Hold the line caller we'll hear what you have to say right after the break.

...vitamins...silver..Ridley..Cop Block...Montel Williams sounds high on his PSA...you sound just like Cruella Deville...shop.freetalklive.com...the hosts banter about for a few minutes...

Now caller on the line you were about to make a point, thanks for holding the line.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 06:32:30 PM »

:D

yamnuska

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 05:19:05 AM »

I'm just happy I don't have to listen to those WebX commercials anymore. Sat night always seems to bring out the nutjob callers who can't get on shows like Rush or Savage.

Branlin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 03:39:12 PM »

Thanks for the thoughts.  I know how to listen, and yes it does take practice.  Many talk hosts don't listen very well at all, but I'm also doing a talk show, so it's important to not let people ramble too long without challenging them, or asking questions.  If you are referring to the woman who called on Saturday night, she just wanted to ramble on about the christian founders and had no interest in having a discussion or answering questions about her statements.  I have nothing for which to apologize in that case.  (And I have certainly apologized before.) 

I'm on your side here, Ian.

IMO, you "interrupt" at the appropriate moments.

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 03:57:47 PM »

I'm on your side here, Ian.

I think he's a "dick" at times!  and, I want to get him to lighten up!

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 04:09:12 PM »

I generally feel that way too but I actually sympathized with Mark and the "sweet Southern Christian" lady on the last Saturday episode.  That particular interaction made him sound like a dick IMO.

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • No king but Christ; no law but liberty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 12:05:03 AM »

I was totally with Ian on that one. I don't get where people think he sounded dickish. It sounded to me like he was managing a boring, erroneous caller in a reasonable way.
I am an anarchist! HOOGA BOOGA BOOGA!!

ChristianAnarchist

• God is a reality - you are a concept...
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • Question Authority - Beware the cult of government
    • View Profile
    • The Big Bang Theory - In the beginning there was nothing... which exploded...
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 05:21:38 AM »

Ian,
No need to argue (just to be right) with each and every caller.  Give each person a minute, let them talk, do comments afterward.  Moderate with respect.  Don't see every caller as crazy.  Listening is an art and highly intellectual people know how to listen *without interrupting*.  Also, do listen to Mark, don't be so quick to discount his remarks about your behavior (and vice-versa).  Admit when your wrong, I promise you'll feel better.   Maybe you need a vacation?  Not an easy job by any means and I do respect your ability to do it quite well, most of the time  :)

Having not listened in a while, I cannot comment on this particular call, but Ian's "style" in general is to be rude to anyone having the "nerve" to bring up certain subjects on his show.  Those subjects are Christianity and conspiracy for the most part (can't think of any other).  I've tried to make the point many times that he needs a "big tent" for liberty to work (another words, tolerance toward those he disagrees with).  Ian is a polarizing personality and loves to be rude towards those he disagrees with.  He could take some lessons from Dr. Ron Paul in this regard.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 08:47:26 AM »

Ian, unfortunately, has a knack for sounding like a dickhead.  I very well might, as well, but I don't host a radio show, so I think it's a fair comment (I can also criticize the supposed beauty of supermodels, because I'm not selling my likeness for big bucks, but am assumed to be the "consumer" of such images.)

Ian,
No need to argue (just to be right) with each and every caller.  Give each person a minute, let them talk, do comments afterward.  Moderate with respect.  Don't see every caller as crazy.  Listening is an art and highly intellectual people know how to listen *without interrupting*.  Also, do listen to Mark, don't be so quick to discount his remarks about your behavior (and vice-versa).  Admit when your wrong, I promise you'll feel better.   Maybe you need a vacation?  Not an easy job by any means and I do respect your ability to do it quite well, most of the time  :)

Having not listened in a while, I cannot comment on this particular call, but Ian's "style" in general is to be rude to anyone having the "nerve" to bring up certain subjects on his show.  Those subjects are Christianity and conspiracy for the most part (can't think of any other).  I've tried to make the point many times that he needs a "big tent" for liberty to work (another words, tolerance toward those he disagrees with).  Ian is a polarizing personality and loves to be rude towards those he disagrees with.  He could take some lessons from Dr. Ron Paul in this regard.

As we all know, you're completely objective on those topics.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 08:49:39 AM by What's the frequency, Kenneth? »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Ian ::: Learn to Listen

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 31 queries.