Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Does Anime Suck?

Poll

Does Anime Suck?

Yes
- 41 (41.4%)
No
- 20 (20.2%)
Sometimes
- 38 (38.4%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Does Anime Suck?  (Read 21845 times)

zebraflood

Re: Does Anime Suck?
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2007, 01:02:37 PM »

Earthwormzim

« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2007, 01:33:26 PM »

American animations like Power Puff Girls, Dexter's Laboratory, The Odd Parents, Rugrats, Ed, Edd, and Eddie and Kim Possible...they don't have to worry about proportions at all.  They can fuck up on proportions all they want, and then claim that it was intentional, as it was a stylistic move.  Hell, they can just scribble shit all over the screen and call it animation. 

Point is:  it requires little (very little) or no effort.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 01:35:35 PM by Earthwormzim »

Earthwormzim

« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2007, 01:41:49 PM »

Yes, I'm highly critical on the issue of proportionality...but don't get me wrong, I'm critical of the proportions in anime, too.

Take, for example, Hikaru No Go (my favorite on-screen production of all time);  in one scene, about 80% of the way through the series (out of 80+ episodes), there is a part where one of the main characters, Sai, is holding a sword.  When the sword comes towards the screen, the thickness of the blade is way off...it looks terrible.  The scene only lasts for about 5-10 seconds...so it doesn't decrease my opinion of the anime much, overall...the quality of the rest of the anime (animation quality, story quality, etc) easily makes up for it, and causes it to take the lead as my #1 favorite of all time.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 01:43:53 PM by Earthwormzim »

Brian Wolf

« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2007, 01:44:44 PM »

American animations like Power Puff Girls, Dexter's Laboratory, The Odd Parents, Rugrats, Ed, Edd, and Eddie and Kim Possible...they don't have to worry about proportions at all.  They can fuck up on proportions all they want, and then claim that it was intentional, as it was a stylistic move.  Hell, they can just scribble shit all over the screen and call it animation. 

Point is:  it requires little (very little) or no effort.

True, but those are more about fun than trying to be beautiful or technical. Old Warner Bros. Cartoons were not all that great art-wise, but they were (for the most part) witty and funny.

I like some of each. (Japanese and American).

I even liked Les Triplettes de Belleville and it was French! (talk about proportions being fucked up!)

OUND

« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2007, 02:19:59 PM »

there is a part where one of the main characters, Sai, is holding a sword.  When the sword comes towards the screen, the thickness of the blade is way off...it looks terrible.
That's what we on the 4chons all QUALITY. For instance, Gundoh Musashi's made of utter QUALITY to the point it's redeemed by its own....Uh..QUALITY.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xo7Cp3GsyxQ

Earthwormzim

« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2007, 02:29:20 PM »

Haha.  That clip was terrible.  No doubt that that anime was created on a low budget...astronomically low, that is.

Taors

« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2007, 03:17:46 PM »

I'll take any 4chan animu over regular animu any day of the week.

Brian Wolf

« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2007, 03:49:10 PM »

there is a part where one of the main characters, Sai, is holding a sword.  When the sword comes towards the screen, the thickness of the blade is way off...it looks terrible.
That's what we on the 4chons all QUALITY. For instance, Gundoh Musashi's made of utter QUALITY to the point it's redeemed by its own....Uh..QUALITY.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xo7Cp3GsyxQ

Now that is what I call efficiency. You get 1 min of video, with only 50 frames of animation! Knock out a half an hour show in a couple of days, sit back, eat ramen, drink Sake'. (or more likely draw 3 other cartoons that week).

Freedom_Man

• I hate tyrants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2007, 04:03:27 PM »

OR WE COULD JUST REMEMBER THIS IS WHY THEY ARE CALLED OPINIONS, bitch. 

That's true no argument from me. I happen to like anime but, I will not push it on you, strap you down force you to watch it, or propose any law making it the only thing on TV.

I don't like some types of icecream but I like other types so like you are saying it's a matter of tastes.

If everyone  agreed on everything there would be no progress made in the world.
What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right

While a peaceful revolution would be best I am afraid the regaining of our rights may require bloodshed. Â

robbyweber82

« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2007, 07:31:51 PM »

what happened to:

Taors

« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2007, 08:04:45 PM »

It got run out by gay ass Japanese cartoons.

Earthwormzim

« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2007, 10:53:22 PM »

Hanna-Barbera cartoons were and are the worst quality cartoons ever created.

Taors

« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2007, 11:15:40 PM »

Wrong.

Earthwormzim

« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2007, 12:55:07 AM »

Yeah, He-Man's quality was impeccable.

Taors

« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2007, 02:31:12 AM »

I liked it.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Does Anime Suck?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 36 queries.