Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  Photoshops
| | |-+  The NEW Yellow Ribbons
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The NEW Yellow Ribbons  (Read 13264 times)

Yamguy

The NEW Yellow Ribbons
« on: July 01, 2005, 06:24:23 PM »

From Rense.com

FTL_Ian

• Professional Iconoclast
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
Re: The NEW Yellow Ribbons
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 11:24:48 PM »

Pretty lame.  I know someone can do better than that.
Please support the show by joining the AMP program at http//amp.freetalklive.com

I blog at http://freekeene.com

zendiscordia

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2005, 09:52:31 PM »

Well I like it Yamguy!   :P

FTL_Ian

• Professional Iconoclast
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2005, 03:22:57 AM »

The only thing amusing was the "Explursion"   :?
Please support the show by joining the AMP program at http//amp.freetalklive.com

I blog at http://freekeene.com

zendiscordia

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005, 08:59:15 AM »

I 'll give you that it isn't the most unique thing... but if they were truly MADE! ... that would be something!
I am stuck in Texas right now.... and if I see one more hackneyed support the troops magnet on a Hummer!... I am going to scream! ... What is with people anyway? 
 Why would one choose to spend their signing bonus on a GAS Guzzler?!?....
 For us, the next deployment will bring in the cash to get a hybrid.... I know... you guys are probably vomiting with all the 'tree huggerness' of it all! heheheheheheeheh  :lol:

Brian Wolf

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2005, 01:17:53 PM »

I 'll give you that it isn't the most unique thing... but if they were truly MADE! ... that would be something!
I am stuck in Texas right now.... and if I see one more hackneyed support the troops magnet on a Hummer!... I am going to scream! ... What is with people anyway? 
 Why would one choose to spend their signing bonus on a GAS Guzzler?!?....
 For us, the next deployment will bring in the cash to get a hybrid.... I know... you guys are probably vomiting with all the 'tree huggerness' of it all! heheheheheheeheh  :lol:

I for one applaud your decision. Even if you arent a 'tree hugger' you are still saving yourself cash in increased fuel economy. Thats pretty smart really.

zendiscordia

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2005, 03:11:43 PM »

:D Thanks Mr. Wolf....
 I know you will probably think me trite and inconsequential for this reference... but seeing the wolf name ... totally calls up that part in pulp fiction...you know.. the scene  with Harvey Kitel! ... hehehehe  :lol:....
At any rate... thanks for the words of encouragement! .... I simply don't understand people's obsession with V8's and such...( for personal transportation .. I understand racing fans & car collector types)...... Especially given the rising gas prices!  :?:

Brian Wolf

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2005, 03:33:07 PM »

:D Thanks Mr. Wolf....
 I know you will probably think me trite and inconsequential for this reference... but seeing the wolf name ... totally calls up that part in pulp fiction...you know.. the scene  with Harvey Kitel! ... hehehehe  :lol:....
At any rate... thanks for the words of encouragement! .... I simply don't understand people's obsession with V8's and such...( for personal transportation .. I understand racing fans & car collector types)...... Especially given the rising gas prices!  :?:

Trite and inconsequential... not at all dude. Harvey Kaitel, Winston Wolf, and Pulp Fiction are all kick ass in my book.

As for the V8 thing, I think its peoples ego's. "Look at me! I live in a paved suburb, I only drive into the city, I have no need for an SUV but I have one! Becasue I can afford $85 a tank! And I don't give a shit about air quality!"
That just makes them idiots in my book.

zendiscordia

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2005, 06:52:26 PM »

:wink:  thanks... <<blushing>> heheheh KIDDING!

useless_mike

• Vague and uninteresting...
  • FTL AMPlifier
  • My emails are shit, thats why I dont send any.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2005, 06:59:27 PM »

Isn't yellow the colour of cowardess or is that the point of this FANTASTIC picture thing?

BKO

• FTL unAMPlifier Aluminum
  • Death is only the beginning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2005, 07:02:41 PM »

No.  It comes from OLD American history.  In times of war, a man's wife, or lover would tie a yellow ribbon around a tree to symbolize the hope for their safe return from war.

There may be earlier cases of this same symbolism.

shanek

• Loudmouthed Skeptic
    • View Profile
    • www.shanekillian.org
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2005, 07:15:13 PM »

No.  It comes from OLD American history.  In times of war, a man's wife, or lover would tie a yellow ribbon around a tree to symbolize the hope for their safe return from war.

It's not that old. It comes from a song, "Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree." And it wasn't a soldier who had gone to war; it was a criminal who had spent three years in jail. She was to tie a yellow ribbon if she still wanted him. The song says, "If I don't see a ribbon round the old oak tree, I'll stay on the bus, forget about us, put the blame on me." She's to put the blame on him because it was his crime that got him sent away for three years, and so it'll be his fault if she doesn't want him back.

Comparing our soldiers to ex-convicts being released from prison is, I think, an irony lost on almost everyone...
When cryptography is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir pelcgbtencul.

"Denying it doesn't make it so." --Brokor

zendiscordia

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2005, 07:18:12 PM »

:shock:  OMG! ... that is TOO funny! ....... hehehehe..

BKO

• FTL unAMPlifier Aluminum
  • Death is only the beginning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2005, 07:34:34 PM »

No. It comes from OLD American history. In times of war, a man's wife, or lover would tie a yellow ribbon around a tree to symbolize the hope for their safe return from war.

It's not that old. It comes from a song, "Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree." And it wasn't a soldier who had gone to war; it was a criminal who had spent three years in jail. She was to tie a yellow ribbon if she still wanted him. The song says, "If I don't see a ribbon round the old oak tree, I'll stay on the bus, forget about us, put the blame on me." She's to put the blame on him because it was his crime that got him sent away for three years, and so it'll be his fault if she doesn't want him back.

Comparing our soldiers to ex-convicts being released from prison is, I think, an irony lost on almost everyone...

lol, that is certainly ONE version.

useless_mike

• Vague and uninteresting...
  • FTL AMPlifier
  • My emails are shit, thats why I dont send any.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2005, 07:38:52 PM »

The dirty foreigner has learnt something. How enriching. Many thanks.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  Photoshops
| | |-+  The NEW Yellow Ribbons

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.