Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Vaccines
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Vaccines  (Read 8668 times)

ccase

• View Profile
Vaccines
« on: January 29, 2011, 10:19:37 PM »

I am doing some research on vaccines, as I may be required to get at least one to enter Ghana, where I was planning on going in March. Now I am concerned, given what I have heard about the dangers of vaccines.

I wondered if anyone could point me to some solid information about the dangers of vaccines. The one in question for me is yellow fever, but I am looking for general info as well. When I do searches, I get lots of articles that try to tell me that the only people who have any interest in even entertaining the possibility of a small chance that vaccines could be bad, are crazy. I want to get away from those.

Anyway, any good resources would be much appreciated.

BonerJoe

Re: Vaccines
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 10:37:51 PM »

Don't even think about it, LL.

ccase

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 11:31:59 PM »

Is that a Ransom for Justice quote? Some kind of message that I am a policeman is plain clothes? Nope. Not a fed of any kind.

Or is it telling me not to do it?

Just looking for honest answers. I am scared to get these shots after seeing things like that cheerleader in DC who had dystopia after the flu shot. When I saw the official answer, that it was all in her head, some kind of psychosomatic thing, I knew there had to be more to it.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 11:56:43 PM »

Is that a Ransom for Justice quote? Some kind of message that I am a policeman is plain clothes? Nope. Not a fed of any kind.

Or is it telling me not to do it?

Just looking for honest answers. I am scared to get these shots after seeing things like that cheerleader in DC who had dystopia after the flu shot. When I saw the official answer, that it was all in her head, some kind of psychosomatic thing, I knew there had to be more to it.

What he was referring to was a member of this board who has a bit of irrationality when it comes to vaccines. An example would be the vaccine to autism link, which has been thoroughly debunked as being bullshit.

I saw the video of the cheerleader too, and it was actually all in her head, unfortunate as it may be.

If you are purposely seeking out articles that only say one point of view, then you arent really looking for evidence to make a logical or rational opinion then are you? You are just looking to confirm your own beliefs that vaccines are bad for you.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 12:28:10 AM »

If you're coming on here to find out answers on whether or not you s hould get a vaccine, you are an idiot.  This is a political board, not a medical/science board.

As someone who is involved in the production and development of vaccines and other pharmaceuticals though, I will say that you should get the vaccines required of you if you're heading to Ghana.  Then have fun in Ghana. 

One of my best friends just got back from there and said he had a blast.  Ghana is one of the better african nations.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

ccase

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 01:40:33 AM »

@anarchir - Agreed that if I were looking only for one side of the argument, I wouldn't be "really looking for evidence to make a logical or rational opinion." No doubt, that would be the case. However, I simply wanted to find if there were any sources of good information about the risk of vaccines, as there is much out there that I have already read debunking the idea of vaccines and risk.

Do you really think it was in her head, though? I guess it's certainly possible, as our minds can certainly do crazy things, but doesn't it seem more likely that there was a physical explanation,even if it had nothing to do with the vaccine?

@Sam Gunn - In response to -  "If you're coming on here to find out answers on whether or not you s hould get a vaccine, you are an idiot.  This is a political board, not a medical/science board." -

Actually, according to the description of this board, it is "anything goes," at least according to the description. And I like to get my information from many sources, including the medical community. Also, seeing that the topic currently above mine has to with breasts, I am going to run with the assumption that being somewhat off-topic is not a faux pas.

In addition, as I stated in my initial post, I already had the overall opinion of most of the medical community, but I know this particular issue has been a hot button one for the liberty community, so I thought it appropriate to ask here. However, were this my only place to search for information, is it true that I would be an idiot.

And yes, I am very much looking forward to the trip and do plan to get the vaccine. Spending a few days in Ghana, then crossing over into Burkina-Faso to work with some farmers in the region. Should be a great time, and hopefully disease-free!

The truth is, I have a bit of fear when it comes to all of this and like to get information from all sides. About 7 years ago I was misdiagnosed with cancer. You can imagine why I might have a bit of distrust for the medical community and want to at least verify their information from outside sources as much as possible.

Evil Muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 03:04:00 AM »

Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

madfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 04:23:50 AM »

Actually, according to the description of this board, it is "anything goes," at least according to the description. And I like to get my information from many sources, including the medical community. Also, seeing that the topic currently above mine has to with breasts, I am going to run with the assumption that being somewhat off-topic is not a faux pas.

He didn't say don't ask here because it's off-topic, but because the internet is a terrible place for medical advice overall.

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 12:18:09 PM »

I just got a tetanus vaccine to live in a dorm, and I'll be damned if I didn't feel 100% the next day. Guess that's the process of making antibodies.'
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 05:11:59 PM »

Don't even think about it, LL.
BJ you have zero understanding of my stand on vaccines. 
Saying too many too soon is not advocating for ending vaccination.  Like any medication the use is dependent on the individual and should be voluntary not mandated.

By all means an adult going into a region who doesn't have a history of adverse vaccine reactions I would think should get vaccinated.   The CDC only recommends the yellow fever vaccine but if your tetanus is out of date might be a good idea to get that booster.  If someone has plans to have unprotected sex, share needles, and/or get a tatoo any time soon they might want to get the Hep B series of shots. 

Note* this is not intended as medical advice just a personal opinion each individual is different and should get advice from their own doctor.

CCASE can certainly review the CDCs information about potential side effects and make a determination or discuss it with a trusted doctor.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/side-effects.htm

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 05:21:59 PM »

Diogenes The Cynic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 07:15:36 PM »

Sure it should be voluntary, but if you spread a virus that hurt others by refusing a vaccine, you should be held accountable for assault.

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 07:38:47 PM »

Sure it should be voluntary, but if you spread a virus that hurt others by refusing a vaccine, you should be held accountable for assault.

How can these so called "hurt" people get a virus if they got the vaccine to prevent them from getting it? Isnt it their responsibility to protect themselves from a virus, if in fact all you have to do is get the vaccine to prevent it? Or are we saying that maybe vaccines dont always work?

Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

Diogenes The Cynic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 07:56:20 PM »

How can these so called "hurt" people get a virus if they got the vaccine to prevent them from getting it? Isnt it their responsibility to protect themselves from a virus, if in fact all you have to do is get the vaccine to prevent it? Or are we saying that maybe vaccines dont always work?

Good point. Lets assume it was a caretaker giving it to a baby before the baby got their immunization.

-Dennis Goddard

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 08:18:01 PM »

Good point. Lets assume it was a caretaker giving it to a baby before the baby got their immunization.

Also a good point. My problem is that there are far too many different viruses out there to reasonably expect anyone to be able to get immunized against all of them. Babies are gonna get sick, that a reality of life I think we all need to accept, unless of course they come up with a vaccine that is a one size fits all that immunizes you against everything, in which case the whole game changes I would agree with you completely.
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Vaccines

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 32 queries.