Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  The Question Thread
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 101   Go Down

Author Topic: The Question Thread  (Read 435837 times)

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: The Question Thread
« Reply #870 on: June 24, 2010, 07:16:02 PM »

If you are an extreme introvert, what is the best way to make that clear and understandable to people who expect you to go out and do things with them on less than two hours' notice? 

Explain it to them in a simple and honest way that you need more time to prepare yourself for the torment that is other people.

I have found that the only person who understands this is another introvert; and that's not ever the person who asks on short notice. (If they do, you know it's an emergency.)
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: June 26, 2010, 09:15:55 PM »

Are Puke and Bile related?
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #872 on: June 26, 2010, 09:26:50 PM »

Are Puke and Bile related?

Yes, they're twin brothers.  Bile was firstborn with Puke quickly following. 

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: June 26, 2010, 09:52:21 PM »

hehe
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: June 27, 2010, 04:30:49 PM »

What's more annoying than an AFLAC plush duck, which screams AFLAC 3 times for each squeeze, in the hands of a 9 year old?

Nothing. Don't let its cuteness and fashionable fitness wear fool you.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: June 27, 2010, 05:54:29 PM »

How many different addresses have you lived under? I counted myself at 17 the other day.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: June 27, 2010, 06:26:31 PM »

How many different addresses have you lived under? I counted myself at 17 the other day.

Nifty question! I think I have 18 as an adult... And another 10, if I add childhood homes.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #877 on: June 27, 2010, 07:01:32 PM »

15 for me, 3 states in the U.S., 3 countries.  

And I lived at the first address for 18 years. 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 02:16:06 PM by Rillion »

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: June 27, 2010, 07:31:10 PM »

I've only lived at 6 addresses so far.

Riddler

« Reply #879 on: June 27, 2010, 08:57:09 PM »

5 addresses
in the SAME FUCKING TOWN
how lame

yamnuska

« Reply #880 on: June 27, 2010, 11:12:42 PM »

For my entire life , 19 different addresses, 7 different countries (Canada, US, England, France, Morocco, Slovenia, South Africa), pretty stable as a kid but as an adult I can't make up my fucking mind as to where I want to live. Someplace in the hills or mountains where I can kick back and have a drink with friends and let life happen, put down roots, grow some crops, have 12 kids, etc. I'm not a yank so I can't just move to the US, I'd be in NH already if I was a yank, nice cheap housing with lots of land down in them parts, nice. Up here in LaLa land people are still going cukoo over real estate, "Prices only ever go up!" Oh I can't wait for the crash.

Harry Tuttle

• Please don't feed the elitists
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: June 28, 2010, 12:24:35 AM »

That's a tough one, especially with military experience. What is the time limit on living somewhere before you call it an address? If I count only places in which I have actually received mail then I think the answer is 24 addresses.  Since I've now been at the same address for 3.5 years I think I have set my adult record.
"If you're giving up your freedom to have freedom you don't have freedom, dummy."              - Mark Edge (10/11/08 show)

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #882 on: June 28, 2010, 12:19:17 PM »

Ten. Two of them right now. Day after tomorrow, it's going up to eleven, total.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #883 on: June 28, 2010, 05:31:26 PM »

Rant to follow:

Libertarians are not atheists are not skeptics are not scientists are not philosophers.  This much has been made abundantly clear to me.  

I'll talk to someone who believes in all manner of tomfoolery if they seem like a calm, rational, friendly person.  Reasonable people can disagree on many things related to any of the above topics, and if you think that their disagreement with you on its own makes them a stupid, irrational, hateful person, then there's something wrong with you.  Everybody is ignorant and irrational about certain things.  If, on the whole, they are intelligent and thoughtful, they can be persuaded to believe something else.  Or maybe they can persuade you.  But the conversation is at least worth it.  

I don't especially care that PZ Myers, though a great scientist, skeptic, and atheist, thinks libertarianism is rubbish.  

I do care that a philosopher like Massimo Pigliucci thinks that we don't have the right to bear arms because such right was acknowledged in the Bill of Rights for a different reason than most people want it today.  Let's grant that the Constitution is indeed the law of the land (I know, this may be difficult to do).  And let's grant (this might be difficult as well) that the people who wrote the Bill of Rights, Jefferson and Madison, actually knew what they were talking about.  Does that mean that our rights are dependent on their intentions?  Would they even want that to be the case?  Should we even give a fuck what they wanted?  

I love how people who would never claim that free speech rights don't include TV or the internet suddenly become originalists when it comes to the right to bear arms.  For fuck's sale, be consistent.  If the reason that Madison and Jefferson acknowledged is relevant for one right; it's relevant for another.  If it isn't relevant for one, it's not relevant for the rest.   Make up your mind.  If you think the Bill of Rights is binding but don't like one of the rights acknowledged, introduce a new fucking amendment which negates it (such as the 21st Amendment, which ended Prohibition).  Don't pretend that the current amendments say something other than what they say.   I know opponents of gun ownership won't do that, because they know it would never fly.  But trying to ban gun ownership via any other means is unreasonable and dishonest.  If your arguments are so good, bring them.  Otherwise, shut the hell up.

</end rant> You were warned.  
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 03:04:43 AM by Rillion »

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #884 on: June 28, 2010, 11:25:07 PM »

I think thats one of the wonderful things about discussing a voluntary society; politically, its consistent. Philosophically on a basic level it is too, but religiously (as Ian has proved through personal example) it is not.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 101   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  The Question Thread

// ]]>

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 32 queries.