Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  The Most Isolated Man on the Planet
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The Most Isolated Man on the Planet  (Read 6921 times)

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
The Most Isolated Man on the Planet
« on: September 02, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »

http://www.slate.com/id/2264478/

He's an Indian, and Brazilian officials have concluded that he's the last survivor of an uncontacted tribe. They first became aware of his existence nearly 15 years ago and for a decade launched numerous expeditions to track him, to ensure his safety, and to try to establish peaceful contact with him. In 2007, with ranching and logging closing in quickly on all sides, government officials declared a 31-square-mile area around him off-limits to trespassing and development.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
Re: The Most Isolated Man on the Planet
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 09:12:55 PM »

In case anyone read it..

Any idea what the purpose of the pits he dug was? I'm thinking maybe to trap any critters (or marauding men with chainsaws) who might sneak into his hut while he's sleeping.

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Alex Libman

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 09:59:45 PM »

I'm surprised it isn't me.   :lol:

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 11:33:38 PM »

In case anyone read it..

Any idea what the purpose of the pits he dug was? I'm thinking maybe to trap any critters (or marauding men with chainsaws) who might sneak into his hut while he's sleeping.

Its not for any practical use. Pits are dug in igloos to let colder air sink into, but this is Brazil, so if anything it might be a hiding place, or form some ritual function.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Alex Libman

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 11:39:58 PM »

Or looking for delicious bugs...   :lol:

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 01:25:18 AM »

Maybe rather than move his bed off of the ground, he moves the ground out from under his bed? He can put poles across the pit then lay his bed on it? Or maybe in the case of being attacked by a jaguar or somesuch he can jump in it. 5 feet is enough so he can crouch in it with a spear over his head leaving him in a very well guarded position? Its a lot of work to dig a pit like that even with a modern shovel so he must have a rather important reason for doing so.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 12:13:03 PM »

Could be defensive.  Easy to cover and sleep in without fear of a jaguar attack. 

Riddler

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 04:17:36 PM »

hello?
indoor latrine.

why inconvenience yourself with schlepping into the forest every time nature calls?

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 06:41:51 PM »

Nah, it ain't no latrine. The guy moves around and digs a new one whenever he makes a new hut- and they're all 5 feet deep!

Don't think it's a big cat deterrent either, wouldn't those just jump right in on top of him (even with him having a spear), or they'd just fall in on top of him as they stalked around.

Maybe it is symbolic/religious.. but what could it represent?

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 07:02:40 PM »

I think the investigators would have smelled the evidence if it were an indoor privy.

They really didn't give the over all dimensions other than the holes are over 5ft deep.  Jaguars climb so being in the tree is not a defensive location.   If you can't construct a strong enough hut.  It might be easier to construct a grid over the top of a hole to keep out a Jaguar. 
Another possibility it is a defensive location in case bulldozers mowed down the hut.  Escape upon hearing the bulldozers might have been too dangerous because the land grabbers were shooting people.

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 09:34:14 PM »

At this point wouldn't it just be a good idea to try to contact him already? There can't be any good served by just leaving him alone.
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

BonerJoe

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 09:43:15 PM »

Who gives a shit. It's a hole. Dug by a guy who wants to kill you. Fuck him.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 09:47:48 PM »

At this point wouldn't it just be a good idea to try to contact him already? There can't be any good served by just leaving him alone.

Clearly you didnt read the whole article. Past people who have been trying to contact him have been violently attacked. He shot an arrow through one guy. The language barrier is massive. Not to mention cultural and other problems. Also, they wrote about how past people who were rescued ended up in a worse off situation. Read the damn article or post a TL;DR.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Riddler

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 09:50:06 PM »

w/ a privy....you cover over your last contribution w/ the dug-out dirt...ie: no smell
call me a liar?
i seen it done.
ok.
maybe ( i didn see no pics) the pit-in-keshtin served another purpose.
he slept on the other side....& had pungy sticks in the bottom o' the pit (like the viet cong)...
creature-in-the-night has to go over cleverly-disguised pit to get to jajumba (i just named him) & boingo......
fresh meat on skewers

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 09:54:58 PM »

w/ a privy....you cover over your last contribution w/ the dug-out dirt...ie: no smell
call me a liar?
i seen it done.
ok.
maybe ( i didn see no pics) the pit-in-keshtin served another purpose.
he slept on the other side....& had pungy sticks in the bottom o' the pit (like the viet cong)...
creature-in-the-night has to go over cleverly-disguised pit to get to jajumba (i just named him) & boingo......
fresh meat on skewers

Like I said before, it is VERY difficult to dig such a pit, and for such a small reason. Why wouldnt it be a pit at the edge of the hut then? Why smack dab in the middle.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  The Most Isolated Man on the Planet

// ]]>

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 33 queries.