Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  My Standup comedy debut.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: My Standup comedy debut.  (Read 7037 times)

miamiballoonguy

• Twisted Balloons For All Occasions
  • Have Balloons, Will Travel!
    • View Profile
    • The Miami Balloon Guy's Home Page
Re: My Standup comedy debut.
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 09:04:51 PM »

It was good, but you need to loosen up a LOT.

Well, duhh..  LOL  Stagefright is a bitch that I'm trying to beat.
"People keep asking me, 'Balloon Guy, what kinds of things can you make?' and I'm like, 'I used to make a Charlie Chaplin balloon, but my Jewish Friends told me to stop making it.  They all thought it looked like Hitler.'

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 10:24:45 PM »

Okay, I laughed.

I do some public speaking, and have found that the more you get up there the easier it gets. Woody Allen dealt with it by using the nervousness in his act.

I'd also second (third?) the suggestion about incorporating the balloons into the act. This sort of prop worked for Steve Martin, who became famous for his arrow.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

Bill Brasky

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2009, 10:38:33 PM »

It was good, but you need to loosen up a LOT.

Well, duhh..  LOL  Stagefright is a bitch that I'm trying to beat.

Yeah, but that seems to be your only real problem.  Material, could work on that, but that works itself out with time.  Delivery is the biggie.  You've worked crowds, so it should be somewhat familiar.  If you juice your act with bounding up the steps, and a big hearty WHATS UP!!!  it'll probably carry you right thru the seven minutes.  You'll just continue to be outgoing. 

Alex Libman 15

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 10:39:55 PM »

[youtube=425,350]9wq-4Z0jxBw[/youtube]

Not bad, but don't quit your day job.  ;)

I don't have a day job....  I'm a self employed children's entertainer trying to make the move to a more adult friendly and smarter entertainment medium because being around the kids is fun and easy, but with fully grown adults, it's much harder and more fulfilling.  Once you start getting the laughs, then things get really fun.

Give it to libman to say something like that. What part of constructive criticism don't you understand?  I've got a joke partially written about forum trolls that I will be getting back to soon.  I will call it my tributr to the biggest forum troll in the world, Alex Libman.

I'd like to see if you try it.  I double-dog dare you!

You misunderstood, I meant I liked it.

digitalfour

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2009, 11:19:27 PM »

I enjoyed it.

Manuel_OKelly

• Objectivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2009, 12:15:18 AM »

Practice segwaying from random joke to random joke maybe? I assume you think of jokes through out the day, write down, practice the delivery. Well you just need more material, and better segways.

rookie

• THIS DESIGN IS A CLASSIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2009, 02:01:19 AM »

Practice segwaying from random joke to random joke maybe? I assume you think of jokes through out the day, write down, practice the delivery. Well you just need more material, and better segways.

segue not

:)
Do yourself a favor.

miamiballoonguy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2009, 02:25:20 AM »

I enjoyed it.

Thank you!  I just did a really bad open mike tonight, and basically, I'm too smart for the people down here in Miami...  The people are smarter the further north you go...  I might get to the Miami Improv on the 15th of september, so hopefully, I will find out.

My new Michael vick /balloon dog joke went over well to the small crowd, but everything else was sooo over there heads.... 

I've got tons of stuff to improve on, and I've got a joke about being a balloon guy lined up to try at the next open mike, too...  so If I get to the improv in september, then I'll be taping it for more critiques...   I'm trying to think up a few jokes about the federal reserve and shit, but I am not sure if I can come up with one....  once I get a premise, I'll start PMing some of you guys for opinions and ideas once I get either the setup or punch going...
"People keep asking me, 'Balloon Guy, what kinds of things can you make?' and I'm like, 'I used to make a Charlie Chaplin balloon, but my Jewish Friends told me to stop making it.  They all thought it looked like Hitler.'

miamiballoonguy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2009, 02:26:19 AM »

Something like that....  I've got about 5 or 6 in the pipeline, and I'm thinking of ways to incorporate my balloons into the act.

miamiballoonguy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2009, 02:26:36 AM »

segue not

Love it!

rookie

• THIS DESIGN IS A CLASSIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2009, 12:07:08 PM »

segue not

Love it!

the only reason I know that is because I owned an album by a band named "Simon Says" when I was a teenager.  there was an insturmental track on there titled "segue" and for the longest time I thought it was pronounced seg-you until I looked up the definition and pronunciation.
Do yourself a favor.

miamiballoonguy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2009, 12:53:00 PM »

I enjoyed it.

Thanks...  I got some really good constructive criticsm on it from one of the better comedians in south florida.... 

jakx92

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2009, 01:33:37 PM »

Maybe you could incorperate the baloons into a joke about inflation.  :P

miamiballoonguy

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2009, 01:02:49 AM »

Maybe you could incorperate the baloons into a joke about inflation.  :P

FUCKING BRILLIANT IDEA!  I never thought about that...   PM me any ideas...  If I become a famous or working comedian, I will pay you for the help on working with that joke...  if interested, PM me your number!  Let's talk!

Also, if anyone has any ideas on poking fun at the federal reserve, PM me as well....

I'm trying to bring the issues of the ancap cause to the mainstream...   Ron Paul and the like are almost there, but this is an opportunity to get another free stater to move to NH and really get the movement going into the mainstream!

I could just be dreaming, but hey, unless I try, I'll never know!

Russell Griswold

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2009, 10:31:04 PM »

I liked it a lot. Good job!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  My Standup comedy debut.

// ]]>

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 32 queries.