Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Unofficial History of Drama in the Free State
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 337   Go Down

Author Topic: Unofficial History of Drama in the Free State  (Read 1321087 times)

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
Re: Drama in the Free State
« Reply #3885 on: January 14, 2011, 09:24:44 AM »

Have any free staters been gay married in NH yet?
I know of one such couple. But they're politically active, not likely to be known by any of the FTL/FK/Freak Staters

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #3886 on: January 14, 2011, 09:39:44 AM »

so what?  Some people dont like the idea of ass sex.  Some think it's evil.  Would you react the same if he didn't allow gambling?  It's a fuckin church.  What do you expect?  What a stupid thing to have a problem with.

BonerJoe

« Reply #3887 on: January 14, 2011, 09:46:45 AM »

I know of one such couple. But they're politically active, not likely to be known by any of the FTL/FK/Freak Staters

Thom the commie?

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #3888 on: January 14, 2011, 10:55:56 AM »

so what?  Some people dont like the idea of ass sex.  Some think it's evil.  Would you react the same if he didn't allow gambling?  It's a fuckin church.  What do you expect?  What a stupid thing to have a problem with.

I don't care whether he allows gambling, but I would react the same way if he only allowed men or white people to do it.  I don't care if he does polygamist weddings or not, but I'd react the same way if decided to only do Mormon-style sexist polygamy (one man and multiple women).

It kind of was "so what?" for me until he started pushing for FSP events to happen there.  It matters because he's asking people for support who likely won't give it if he's acting like a bigot, whether it's religition-justified bigotry or not.  There are lots of churches, most of them I'm sure, that don't do gay marriages.  I don't go there and I don't give them my money.  I don't get RSVPs from them for FSP events or see my friends on their attendance list for such events.

He should do whatever he wants for his own reasons, but he should state it openly and own the repercussions.  I'm just going to make sure this discussion happens in the light of day so people know what they're supporting or not.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3889 on: January 14, 2011, 01:18:55 PM »

I'm not accustomed to agreeing with Ecolitan, but in this case, I believe I do.  It's not like, shocking, or anything, that a church wouldn't do same-sex marriage.

What I find more interesting is that some guy "owns" a church.

He should do whatever he wants for his own reasons, but he should state it openly and own the repercussions.  I'm just going to make sure this discussion happens in the light of day so people know what they're supporting or not.

...and certainly the right approach, though again, it's not like I'd expect it to sway anyone.

As for myself, if I were there I'd be glad that someone I don't agree with on everything (!) is supportive of something I'm also supporting.  It's like my "progressive" buddy who's finally realizing that it'd be good to work with libertarians on some things.  His attachment to the state pisses me off, but I'll gladly accept his support on issues we have in common, and vice-versa.  If you expect 100% compliance to your point of view, you will conduct no commerce, you will have no friends, and you will lead a miserable life.  This goes, especially, for libertarians.

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #3890 on: January 14, 2011, 02:14:38 PM »

It kind of was "so what?" for me until he started pushing for FSP events to happen there...I don't get RSVPs from them for FSP events or see my friends on their attendance list for such events.

I know nothing about even talk of a FSP event happening there.  There isn't even talk of such a thing happening.  It isn't a horrible idea, though.
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #3891 on: January 14, 2011, 02:33:03 PM »

As for myself, if I were there I'd be glad that someone I don't agree with on everything (!) is supportive of something I'm also supporting.

I have no plans to ostracize John or to refuse to work with him on anything.  I'm just not going to support his church.  And this will affect a lot of people in a similar way who care about the issue.  I already know some who were about to immediately pull their RSVPs for a church event but held off until we could get an answer from John and clarify the extent of truth to this rumor.

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #3892 on: January 14, 2011, 02:36:11 PM »

Thom the commie?
Ahhh good point.  I don't know Thom in person (yet), that's couple #2

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3893 on: January 14, 2011, 03:25:36 PM »

As for myself, if I were there I'd be glad that someone I don't agree with on everything (!) is supportive of something I'm also supporting.

I have no plans to ostracize John or to refuse to work with him on anything.  I'm just not going to support his church.  And this will affect a lot of people in a similar way who care about the issue.  I already know some who were about to immediately pull their RSVPs for a church event but held off until we could get an answer from John and clarify the extent of truth to this rumor.

Just curious...not going to support his church, or liberty-oriented events at the church?  The first sounds reasonable...the second less-so.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #3894 on: January 14, 2011, 03:38:50 PM »

Just curious...not going to support his church, or liberty-oriented events at the church?  The first sounds reasonable...the second less-so.

Then we disagree.  Showing up as if there is no issue is moral support which I won't give to a church like that.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3895 on: January 14, 2011, 03:55:30 PM »

Then we disagree.  Showing up as if there is no issue is moral support which I won't give to a church like that.

Showing up doesn't mean there isn't an issue.  As you said, we disagree.  Apparently he does, too (but in a different way.)  Again, not giving to a church "like that" is quite reasonable.  Abstaining from activism because it's there, less so.

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #3896 on: January 14, 2011, 04:00:29 PM »

That is a shame. You are good at getting gays and the homosexual point of view excepted by people who are uncomfortable about it.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #3897 on: January 14, 2011, 05:04:10 PM »

<<<Doesn't know why anyone would want to have anything to do with a church at all.

Also, Dale, you should start:

The First Church of Gay Liberty, NH

And be done with it. You could make up a bunch of fun doctrine and have picnics and shit.

"AND NOW WE SHALL READ FROM THE BOOK OF ORAL (NO TEETH), VERSE 69 HAR HAR HAR."
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3898 on: January 14, 2011, 05:36:09 PM »

Showing up doesn't mean there isn't an issue.  As you said, we disagree.  Apparently he does, too (but in a different way.)  Again, not giving to a church "like that" is quite reasonable.  Abstaining from activism because it's there, less so.

Yup. I've always thought one of the advantages to a "free" society was to let people do their own things, and of there is a void that needs to be filled, then folks should work to fill whatever void that may be.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #3899 on: January 14, 2011, 07:49:38 PM »

Watch this space. They are putting up a bill to eliminate marriage in NH. Looks like it has a decent chance of passing, too
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 337   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Unofficial History of Drama in the Free State

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 27 queries.