Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Unofficial History of Drama in the Free State
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 337   Go Down

Author Topic: Unofficial History of Drama in the Free State  (Read 1321557 times)

ForumTroll

Re: Drama in the Free State
« Reply #3000 on: May 17, 2010, 12:36:00 PM »

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #3001 on: May 17, 2010, 12:37:17 PM »

What? I'm just pointing out shit that people need to be prepared for.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: May 17, 2010, 12:40:31 PM »

Yep.  In the wild west there was/is I dunno case law involving 'fighting words'. 

Walking up to someone and declaring loudly that you fucked their mother is, in our culture, an invitation to engage in a violent altercation.  What they are doing is not quite that provocative but they're on the right track.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: May 17, 2010, 12:42:03 PM »

Yep.  In the wild west there was/is I dunno case law involving 'fighting words'. 

Walking up to someone and declaring loudly that you fucked their mother is, in our culture, an invitation to engage in a violent altercation.  What they are doing is not quite that provocative but they're on the right track.

Hey, I'm not supporting that shit, I'm just saying it's gonna happen at some point.

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: May 17, 2010, 12:44:30 PM »

me too

ForumTroll

« Reply #3005 on: May 17, 2010, 12:49:20 PM »

What? I'm just pointing out shit that people need to be prepared for.

If there is no one to stand up to it, then there is no point thinking about a free society...is there?

Basically I see a bunch of people in this thread who are WAITING for people en masse to start resisting government violence...and bitching about it when they actually do in such minor fucking ways.

It makes my brain hurt.

ForumTroll

« Reply #3006 on: May 17, 2010, 12:50:26 PM »

me too

"As far as initiating force on them...  I'm not entirely opposed to it"

Right.

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: May 17, 2010, 12:52:20 PM »

yep, meant that literally

not entirely opposed =/= for it

ForumTroll

« Reply #3008 on: May 17, 2010, 12:54:59 PM »

Whatever makes you feel better about yourself.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: May 17, 2010, 12:56:33 PM »

If there is no one to stand up to it, then there is no point thinking about a free society...is there?

Well I'm not against standing up to it. That's the second time, however, that you've suggested that I've sold out because I'm not interested in doing the same thing someone else is interested in doing. I've also clearly pointed out what I think will work, and even said in that very post that everyone will ignore the thing I suggested, and everyone did. So I've said:

1. This isn't my idea of a good time.
2. Here's what I think is a good alternative.

People should do exactly what they think will work.

Basically I see a bunch of people in this thread who are WAITING for people en masse to start resisting government violence...and bitching about it when they actually do in such minor fucking ways.

It makes my brain hurt.

Have you asked them what they are doing, rather than assume it is "Nothing"? I mean, you may be totally right in a lot of cases. I'm not arguing that. There's a world full of complaints and a pocket full of action. I get that, but not everyone is like that, you know?

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: May 17, 2010, 01:01:53 PM »

ForumTroll

« Reply #3011 on: May 17, 2010, 01:06:04 PM »

That's the second time, however, that you've suggested that I've sold out because I'm not interested in doing the same thing someone else is interested in doing.

I'm not suggesting you've sold out. You've stated your opinion...but you keep doing it over and over again in what I perceive in a "you people are being silly, stop it and keep debating the internet instead" kind of way.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: May 17, 2010, 01:09:37 PM »

As I said a few weeks ago--people in New Hampshire better get their shit together and recognize that the shit they don't like other activists doing is the kinda shit that's gonna happen in a free society.  As for me, I'm good with it.  I can recognize and appreciate the benefits of both, and I think the losers who are going to take a collectivist view of the "wrong" activism practiced by others are going to be contemporary Don Quijotes--ironically, for want of support from other Don Quijotes.

I agree this is the sort of shit that would happen in a free society but we are missing a very important counter weight for stupid behavior. That being things like egging the offenders homes to show them what they are doing is not appreciated. No collectivist thinking here, just taking on the individual responsibility, in a non violent manner, to educate the young'ns that unacceptable behavior has consequences.

That would be a property violation, and inappropriate.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: May 17, 2010, 01:18:51 PM »

That's the second time, however, that you've suggested that I've sold out because I'm not interested in doing the same thing someone else is interested in doing.

I'm not suggesting you've sold out. You've stated your opinion...but you keep doing it over and over again in what I perceive in a "you people are being silly, stop it and keep debating the internet instead" kind of way.

:-(

I can see how it might look that way. That's not what I've been trying to say, though. So let me clarify -

If you think (Insert a thing here that you want to do) will get you some more freedom, go for it! However, don't fucking try to tell me that the thing I'm doing isn't enough.

Also, I want to make it clear, any idea that anyone comes up with to promote freedom should be picked apart to find every possible drawback, so that people can make an informed choice on what they want to do. Cost/Benefit.

In the spirit of that, I'm now going to point out the drawbacks on MY point of view.

1. I'll probably never get to see a free world. (I don't believe "Liberty in our lifetime" is gonna happen.) Entertaining that thought is really fucking depressing.
2. People may just as well ignore the argument from morality. I know people on my own side, who do.
3. We might be wrong about human nature, and children, even raised by what I consider to be the most moral methods, may end up a bunch of savage ingrate statists anyway. (Unlikely, but we don't have a huge data set. We're just kinda starting that experiment.)
4. To some people it looks like people like me aren't doing shit, apart from talking.

Now, I have arguments as to why I still think I'm right, but there, I've given myself the same treatment now.

davann

« Reply #3014 on: May 17, 2010, 02:45:10 PM »

As I said a few weeks ago--people in New Hampshire better get their shit together and recognize that the shit they don't like other activists doing is the kinda shit that's gonna happen in a free society.  As for me, I'm good with it.  I can recognize and appreciate the benefits of both, and I think the losers who are going to take a collectivist view of the "wrong" activism practiced by others are going to be contemporary Don Quijotes--ironically, for want of support from other Don Quijotes.

I agree this is the sort of shit that would happen in a free society but we are missing a very important counter weight for stupid behavior. That being things like egging the offenders homes to show them what they are doing is not appreciated. No collectivist thinking here, just taking on the individual responsibility, in a non violent manner, to educate the young'ns that unacceptable behavior has consequences.

That would be a property violation, and inappropriate.

Eh, it is a minor one compared to the offense. Flashing one’s sagging old lady tits at a bunch of middle school kids is far more a violation of common sense and decency than a couple of eggs. Screaming shit through a bullhorn at a community gathering is just as idiotic. Freedom my ass. This is assholes being assholes. Some day they might grow up but odds of that happening are less if they are not shown antisocial behavior will not be tolerated. One would think by 12 years old they would know that but that does not seem to be the case. Who raised these people, wolves?
I am done.
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 337   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Unofficial History of Drama in the Free State

// ]]>

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 28 queries.