Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Unofficial History of Drama in the Free State
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 337   Go Down

Author Topic: Unofficial History of Drama in the Free State  (Read 1321082 times)

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
Re: Drama in the Free State
« Reply #2190 on: September 29, 2009, 07:45:49 PM »

The only person who should care about your race is your doctor, for medical purposes.
What medical purposes depend on race?

Bill Brasky

« Reply #2191 on: September 29, 2009, 07:51:24 PM »

The only person who should care about your race is your doctor, for medical purposes.

Some races have a higher likelihood of cholesterol and heart disease.  Probably a result of the socioeconomic conditions of the last few generations, and their habits with diet and medical care. 

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: September 29, 2009, 07:52:18 PM »

Depends on the issue and the doctor.  Statsitics show for example that black people have a much higher rate of heart disease than white people.  Now whether that is a cultural thing (stereotype that they like fried chicken) or a race thing is not revealed by those statistics.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Libertarianssuck

« Reply #2193 on: September 29, 2009, 07:54:45 PM »

"Blacks actually have higher rates of heart disease and this is well known by doctors. Yet, the black men were treated less than the white men were."

Maybe in the end it doesn't matter.....

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: September 29, 2009, 08:00:05 PM »

Nothing.  That would be impossible, since the races are a made up concept set to pit people against each other.
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #2195 on: September 29, 2009, 08:09:36 PM »

Heart disease aside, other examples are out there. Now I'm no medical professional, but so far as I generally know (and with a little Google help):
Certain races get growth spurts as a child or develop at a faster or slower rate. Doctors (especially pediatricians) need to know race background to provide additional factors in determining whether a child is developing properly.  I would assume this sort of thing is especially important if the child is adopted and the charts and bodily characteristics of the child cannot be directly compared to the birth parents.

Certain races are more susceptible to certain genetic factors which should be especially looked out for: Africans getting sickle cell anemia, Eskimo and tuberculosis, Diabetes in Asian Indians etc. East Asians may not need as high doses of medication as other races, whereas some races may need more. Some races are also less likely to get certain things and that should also help a doctor in his/her diagnosis.

It is the same as checking women for breast cancer more than in men. That's not sexist, they are just more predisposed to get it.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

BonerJoe

« Reply #2196 on: September 29, 2009, 08:13:01 PM »

Nothing.  That would be impossible, since the races are a made up concept set to pit people against each other.

DERE IS NO SCHPOON

Libertarianssuck

« Reply #2197 on: September 29, 2009, 08:15:19 PM »

"I think racial classifications have been useful to us," said Dr. Alan Rogers, a population geneticist and professor of
anthropology at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City. "We may believe that most differences between races are
superficial, but the differences are there, and they are informative about the origins and migrations of our species."

"Race is a social concept, not a scientific one," said Dr. J. Craig Venter, head of the Celera Genomics Corporation in Rockville, Md.

"If you ask what percentage of your genes is reflected in your external appearance, the basis by which we talk about
race, the answer seems to be in the range of .01 percent," said Dr. Harold P. Freeman, the chief executive, president
and director of surgery at North General Hospital in Manhattan, who has studied the issue of biology and race. "This is
a very, very minimal reflection of your genetic makeup."

He says .01 is very very minimal but then again a chimanzee is off by 1%...

Eggs are good - Eggs are bad. They're good. Bad. Y2K AGHHH! 2012!!!!!!! Global warming is real! Global warming is fake!!!!

DEATH IS CERTAIN! LIFE IS NOT!

« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 08:17:45 PM by Hideaki »

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: September 29, 2009, 08:26:55 PM »

The tough part for me, is that I agree with all three of those people you quoted.  And I agree with Kieth that race typically only serves to pit one against another.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Libertarianssuck

« Reply #2199 on: September 29, 2009, 08:35:30 PM »

The tough part for me, is that I agree with all three of those people you quoted.  And I agree with Kieth that race typically only serves to pit one against another.

Maybe so. Maybe that is or was the intent to pit them together. Just like my idk the politically correct term anymore "african-american" friend greets me with "what up my nigger" or sometime he pronounces it "niggah". Although for him to be technically correct he'd have to use "beaner" or "wetback". People get too sensitive with terms. We all have things that makes us different and we'll always have different labels categorizing us. It doesn't have to serve us as a term meant to pit us against each other. I've never heard race itself in a sentence that was negative unless the term was racist to define that persons belief.

It's funny right? Agreeing with conflicting views from doctors.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 08:52:01 PM by Hideaki »

blackie

« Reply #2200 on: September 29, 2009, 08:39:00 PM »

The Jews get the Tay-Sachs disease. The gays get the AIDS.

Both infantile and adult forms of Tay-Sachs Disease occur more frequently, though not exclusively, in a defined population. A person's chances of being a Tay-Sachs Disease carrier are significantly higher if he or she is of eastern European (Ashkenazi) Jewish descent. Approximately one in every 27 Jews in the United States is a carrier of the Tay-Sachs Disease gene. There is also a noticeable incidence of Tay-Sachs Disease in non-Jewish French Canadians living near the St. Lawrence River and in the Cajun community of Louisiana. By contrast, the carrier rate in the general population as well as in Jews of Sephardic origin is about one in 250.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 08:40:46 PM by blackie »

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: September 29, 2009, 08:43:53 PM »

Black folks deal with a lot of Sickle Cell Anemia (genetic), which is very rare in white folks.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Evil Muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: September 29, 2009, 09:56:30 PM »

Updating you all on the Candia-Heidi Frederick issue: we were informed she is entering a plea and the trial will be cancelled.

http://discus.equinesite.net/discus/messages/5/26959.html?1254273933

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=194174&page=46&highlight=candia
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 10:52:02 PM by Evil Muppet »
Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: September 29, 2009, 11:20:22 PM »

Heart disease aside, other examples are out there. Now I'm no medical professional, but so far as I generally know (and with a little Google help):
Certain races get growth spurts as a child or develop at a faster or slower rate. Doctors (especially pediatricians) need to know race background to provide additional factors in determining whether a child is developing properly.  I would assume this sort of thing is especially important if the child is adopted and the charts and bodily characteristics of the child cannot be directly compared to the birth parents.

Certain races are more susceptible to certain genetic factors which should be especially looked out for: Africans getting sickle cell anemia, Eskimo and tuberculosis, Diabetes in Asian Indians etc. East Asians may not need as high doses of medication as other races, whereas some races may need more. Some races are also less likely to get certain things and that should also help a doctor in his/her diagnosis.

It is the same as checking women for breast cancer more than in men. That's not sexist, they are just more predisposed to get it.

Good thing I have experience as a medical professional.  Actually, there are no races so everything you said is wrong.
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: September 29, 2009, 11:22:14 PM »

Eggs are good - Eggs are bad. They're good. Bad. Y2K AGHHH! 2012!!!!!!! Global warming is real! Global warming is fake!!!!

Chicken eggs are very healthy if you are not allergic to them and the chickens are range fed.
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 337   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Unofficial History of Drama in the Free State

// ]]>

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 27 queries.