Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Worst ads heard during FTL
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Worst ads heard during FTL  (Read 49899 times)

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Worst ads heard during FTL
« Reply #105 on: May 18, 2010, 02:43:56 PM »

I wouldn't suggest sending away the advertiser, but I'd suggest taking it seriously.

What does that mean?  If Nature Bee is paying to run the ad, then presumably they can run any sort of ad they want.  Unless FTL would somehow lose more money from people who don't like the ad than they would by refusing to run it, it's in their (and ultimately our) best interest to run it. 

Conclusion: Meh.  I don't like the ad either, but am perfectly capable of ignoring it if it brings in funding. 

What do you think it means?  It means Mark should want the ads to be good, and not bring down the image of the show.  I went out of my way to say I'm not suggesting sending the advertiser away because I know it's going to eventually be treated as the expected option.  It's not the option I expect to be exercised.  If it were me, I'd offer a nice professional live read, and the spot he already had on Edgington Post. 

I didn't bring it up.  I wouldn't have said anything, except there seems to be some agreement.  As far as I care, Mark can do NOTHING about it, but this rationalizing about how it's not an issue is bullshit.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 18, 2010, 02:44:55 PM »

Just ignore it, stop being a little baby.

Fuck you.  Bringing up the issue isn't being a little baby.  Telling Mark "no really, it is an issue" is not being a little baby.  Telling people they're being little babies IS being juvenile.

Addendum
issu --> issue
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 02:57:31 PM by What's the frequency, Kenneth? »

digitalfour

« Reply #107 on: May 18, 2010, 03:01:50 PM »

Sorry, but anyone that is writing angry posts on the Internet about a silly ad instead of turning down the volume for a minute an hour is a little baby.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 18, 2010, 03:35:02 PM »

Sorry, but anyone that is writing angry posts on the Internet about a silly ad instead of turning down the volume for a minute an hour is a little baby.

You should be sorry.  I mostly skip the live reads.  I'm an AMPlifier, which means I give a shit about the impression the show makes.  I'm not sorry for that.  Since you're an AMPlifier, you might want to give a shit too.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 03:36:40 PM by What's the frequency, Kenneth? »

gibson042

• Non-Aggression Principal since 2006
    • View Profile
    • gibson.mp
« Reply #109 on: May 18, 2010, 03:36:25 PM »

I listen to the podcast, and skip forward past the Nature Bee ad but listen to live reads. I wouldn't buy the product anyway, and probably wouldn't avoid it because of the format, but it certainly doesn't help.

For the record, I purchased An Island Called Liberty during its initial run years ago, tried to buy A Kid's Journey to Getting Rich but never received it, and have considered the Tiger Light.
"WOOOOOP  WOOOOOP  WOOOOP EH EH EH EH HHHEEEOOOO HEEEOOOOO" —Rillion

FTL_Mark

• I'm a Moderator now, but I don't want to hear your whining!
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 18, 2010, 06:32:51 PM »

I listen to the podcast, and skip forward past the Nature Bee ad but listen to live reads. I wouldn't buy the product anyway, and probably wouldn't avoid it because of the format, but it certainly doesn't help.

For the record, I purchased An Island Called Liberty during its initial run years ago, tried to buy A Kid's Journey to Getting Rich but never received it, and have considered the Tiger Light.

An Island Called Liberty didn't have an initial run with us years ago.

I would have made sure that you got A Kids Guide... had you emailed me about it.

Thank you for your patronage.

The Tigerlight is pretty cool. I need a holster for mine.
No one has conjectured that I could quite possibly be a Libertarian posing as an Anarchist trying to pretend to still be a Libertarian; or what I like to call an Anarcho-Hustler.

FTL_Mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 18, 2010, 06:33:57 PM »

I have given Mike Buck a new phone line to call in on. I hope this addresses, at least in part, the issues.
No one has conjectured that I could quite possibly be a Libertarian posing as an Anarchist trying to pretend to still be a Libertarian; or what I like to call an Anarcho-Hustler.

gibson042

• Non-Aggression Principal since 2006
    • View Profile
    • gibson.mp
« Reply #112 on: May 18, 2010, 09:42:21 PM »

An Island Called Liberty didn't have an initial run with us years ago.

I would have made sure that you got A Kids Guide... had you emailed me about it.

Hmm, well I definitely heard about An Island Called Liberty from FTL before I purchased it on July 20, 2007. And I'll keep the second point in mind for future reference. Thanks.
"WOOOOOP  WOOOOOP  WOOOOP EH EH EH EH HHHEEEOOOO HEEEOOOOO" —Rillion

EternityAblaze

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 18, 2010, 09:52:20 PM »

Although I had said the Nature Bee ad is annoying too, I never said anything about removing them.  I totally understand the point of ads and I know ads are what keep the show alive.  Luckily for me, I found this nifty little key in my media player called "fast forward 10 sec".  Hit that a few times and my annoyance is gone!

Its magic!

ForumTroll

« Reply #114 on: May 18, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »

As long as Mark will roll his eyes on cam while the other guy is talking, I will be satisfied.

Pilot_MKN

• Take to the Skies
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 19, 2010, 02:57:50 AM »

I never said I wanted FTL to drop an advertiser, Mark. Sorry if I gave that impression.

I'm just voicing my opinion on the format of this particluar one. If it helps, it's not as bad as "Chews for Health" was.

Have you considered interviewing Mr. Buck for Edginton Post? I'd be interested in hearing his story. 

"Two wrongs don't make a right, but two Wrights make the airplane"

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #116 on: May 19, 2010, 03:36:42 AM »

Just in case I havent mentioned this before, or if someone else has, as a side note:

Ian introduces Mark's interview, then Mark introduces his own interview.

Also, when Ian introduces it he uses a different name for the interview than Mark does.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

FTL_Mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 19, 2010, 03:59:05 PM »

I never said I wanted FTL to drop an advertiser, Mark. Sorry if I gave that impression.

I'm just voicing my opinion on the format of this particluar one. If it helps, it's not as bad as "Chews for Health" was.

Have you considered interviewing Mr. Buck for Edginton Post? I'd be interested in hearing his story. 

I can do that.

Maybe someone could start a thread where they suggest interviews for Edgington Post. I just had a guy recently that said he could predict the locations of future earthquakes. I turned him down. Seemed to weird.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 19, 2010, 04:07:14 PM »

I just had a guy recently that said he could predict the locations of future earthquakes. I turned him down. Seemed to weird.

I can too.  See, there are these things called fault lines, and...    :)

Pilot_MKN

• Take to the Skies
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 19, 2010, 07:06:02 PM »

On a more constructive note, I think the "Island Called Liberty" spot is well done. It gives you an "awww" moment when we hear about Jack. The Dell Valley Silver is another one that's easy on the ears.

I also completely agree about Aquasona. Bad ad, but likely a future buy for me.
"Two wrongs don't make a right, but two Wrights make the airplane"
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Worst ads heard during FTL

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 33 queries.