Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Worst ads heard during FTL
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Worst ads heard during FTL  (Read 49783 times)

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Worst ads heard during FTL
« Reply #90 on: May 15, 2010, 10:41:22 AM »

Nature Bee call in ad.....ugh

this! [Mark]

What do you want me to do about it?

Convince the advertiser to do something else?  You're the ad genius.

FTL_Mark

• I'm a Moderator now, but I don't want to hear your whining!
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 15, 2010, 06:53:09 PM »

this! [Mark]

The advertiser says the ads work for him, and I bet they do. In my professional opinion those are good ads. They are long, admittedly, but the hardest part of advertising in this world full of ads is to get people to pay attention to your ads. This conversation proves they have been effective. Plus, they track where their orders come from and FTL listeners are buying.

I do agree that many of the most annoying ads are the most effective, but I haven't figured out how to bring FTL to you without ads.
No one has conjectured that I could quite possibly be a Libertarian posing as an Anarchist trying to pretend to still be a Libertarian; or what I like to call an Anarcho-Hustler.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2010, 09:36:11 PM »

this! [Mark]

The advertiser says the ads work for him, and I bet they do. In my professional opinion those are good ads. They are long, admittedly, but the hardest part of advertising in this world full of ads is to get people to pay attention to your ads. This conversation proves they have been effective. Plus, they track where their orders come from and FTL listeners are buying.

I do agree that many of the most annoying ads are the most effective, but I haven't figured out how to bring FTL to you without ads.

Yeah, it's the annoying part, not the part where it's advertising (or even that it's long.)  I think part of what it makes annoying is the sound quality on his end, and his mannerisms.  You probably can't do much about his mannerisms, but maybe you can at least get him to improve his phone equipment (maybe a good headset?)  If it didn't sound so much like a "long-distance" phone call, that might help.

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2010, 10:40:57 PM »

My critiques are coming from someone who is totally jaded on any form of advertising. I get lost in the production quality of ads, can't hear the message because I'm busy thinking about how poor the quality is, or simply how cheesy the attempt to sell is.. it's a result of having worked in media and advertising. I'm sick of all of it, but occasionally I'll see or hear an ad that's clever, or at least not annoying. Usually these ads are video- a medium that gives you much more to work with.

I'm also an online listener who doesn't tune in to many radio talk shows at all.. that whole scene is pretty wacky, dated.. stuck in the 80's somehow. You'd think that with all the vitamins, miracle cures & devices, gold, survival supplies, etc. that this target audience snaps up that they'd be the most healthy, wealthy, happy & prepared segment of the population.. but somehow that ain't the mental image I have of them.

So you have a good sized audience who is hip/up to date with technology, etc. which means they're familiar with clever ads and media on the same level as the Southpark show (first reference that comes to mind)- mixed in with the old school listeners who collect huntin' knives, flags and military paraphernalia.. it's a weird combo. The former group is just the sort to poke fun at the latter, that goes for the type of advertising that works on the latter group too.

I guess that's so.. I might be completely off, but I can't see a whole lot of your younger listeners rushing out to buy vitamins after hearing the Nature Bee ad.

If it's ad contains a hint of an emotional appeal, I ain't buying it. Production quality is low, I can't even pay attention since the attempt immediately becomes humorous - the "Ted Anderson Silver Dollar in Every Book" ad comes to mind- what the hell is that guy saying in that ad? All the words run together.

If any ad is making you money, I'm happy about it and hope that any comments poking fun at the advertisers doesn't impact your profits.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

FTL_Mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2010, 01:17:21 AM »

the "Ted Anderson Silver Dollar in Every Book" ad comes to mind- what the hell is that guy saying in that ad? All the words run together.

That one is Ted's not mine. Ian is picky about sound quality and we have discussed Mike Buck's sound quality. I will work on that if I can, but he is calling from Hawaii. I might add that his ad is good enough for Michael Medved and several other Top 25 Hosts. I can't say who in our audience buys this stuff. We do have an odd mix. Our audience is much more skeptical than others. It doesn't make selling ads easy, but it is a refection for Ian and my attitudes towards life. So, it is difficult to complain too much about.

I can tell you it must be alot easier selling ads for Alex Jones. His listeners will believe anything he says. Mine don't believe me when I tell them the truth :).
No one has conjectured that I could quite possibly be a Libertarian posing as an Anarchist trying to pretend to still be a Libertarian; or what I like to call an Anarcho-Hustler.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2010, 02:17:27 AM »

I can tell you it must be alot easier selling ads for Alex Jones. His listeners will believe anything he says. Mine don't believe me when I tell them the truth :).

Some salesmen are successful because they're good at fooling their audience; others because they're good at fooling themselves.  Those who are left are stuck trying to sell something that is actually worth buying.   :)

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2010, 11:29:34 AM »

Some salesmen are successful because they're good at fooling their audience; others because they're good at fooling themselves.  Those who are left are stuck trying to sell something that is actually worth buying.   :)

It's a pretty cynical way to put it, but I generally agree...I'd say a good salesman is someone who finds impressive products and sells them with integrity.  Having said that, the complaints I have with any the Nature Bee ads are related to their oddity.  I can listen to them, no problem, but I figured Mark would want to know if I thought they just don't sound right.  I can't say they've driven me away from the product, but they certainly haven't driven me toward it.  No, I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's not far from "not very professional"--and no, I guess I don't know anything about advertising.

EternityAblaze

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 17, 2010, 11:58:48 AM »

That new ad that Mark pretends to talk to a guy on the phone for 2 whole minutes about some stupid supplement is annoying as hell.

FTL_Mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 17, 2010, 03:06:34 PM »

That new ad that Mark pretends to talk to a guy on the phone for 2 whole minutes about some stupid supplement is annoying as hell.

It is a ninety second script and he is a real guy really talking.

Pilot_MKN

• Take to the Skies
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 17, 2010, 09:14:46 PM »

I know you guys have to support the show with ads, but this Nature Bee one is particularly annoying. I'd rather listen to a standard commercial than the 'convrsation format'.

Being skeptical of supplements doesn' help either, but that's a discussion for another day.
"Two wrongs don't make a right, but two Wrights make the airplane"

FTL_Mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 18, 2010, 09:41:03 AM »

I know you guys have to support the show with ads, but this Nature Bee one is particularly annoying. I'd rather listen to a standard commercial than the 'convrsation format'.

Being skeptical of supplements doesn' help either, but that's a discussion for another day.

Nature Bee is one of our largest advertisers. It isn't chump change, just so you are aware.

The ad is unusual, no doubt but annoying is just another word for "it stands out".

The fact that you are skeptical of supplements is operative here. If the ad was for a product or service that you were very interested in then it wouldn't annoy you. Yes, some people don't like the ad, but we have generated great sales with this ad. That said, I am trying to work with Mike Buck about the audio on his end.

Complaints have been leveled about our ads as long as we have had ads. Someone always thinks that this or that ad is the one that is going to cause people to stop listening to the show and sink the liberty movement. Well, every time you suggest that we drop an advertiser; you infact suggest that we take a pay-cut, a sizable one in this case. Right now, Nature Bee is about 20-25% of our monthly revenue, maybe you could get together some other people that feel as strongly as you do. Since you all feel strongly, you can take the 20-25% out of your paycheck, as you have suggested that we do, and match Nature Bee's commitment.

You can email me for that amount if you are serious. I notice that there isn't an AMPlifier bar on you posts.

Osborne

• Worshipful Grand Conspirator
    • View Profile
    • Sakal/CAI
« Reply #101 on: May 18, 2010, 12:42:09 PM »

I find the Nature Bee ads are growing on me over time. It's pretty impressive that dude is willing to call personally every night to promote his product.

I'll even order some when I get caught up paying the feds and Mark.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 18, 2010, 12:44:04 PM »

Mark, I think it's obvious by now that there's an issue with this ad.  It's not just me, or one or two other guys.  You know if five (off the top of my head) guys speak up, it's bugging more than a couple people.  I don't know what you have to do with it to make it sound more credible (for the record, I don't have anything against supplements) but you're getting a pretty consistent message and blowing it off.

I wouldn't suggest sending away the advertiser, but I'd suggest taking it seriously.

digitalfour

« Reply #103 on: May 18, 2010, 01:06:50 PM »

Just ignore it, stop being a little baby.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 18, 2010, 01:32:20 PM »

I wouldn't suggest sending away the advertiser, but I'd suggest taking it seriously.

What does that mean?  If Nature Bee is paying to run the ad, then presumably they can run any sort of ad they want.  Unless FTL would somehow lose more money from people who don't like the ad than they would by refusing to run it, it's in their (and ultimately our) best interest to run it. 

Conclusion: Meh.  I don't like the ad either, but am perfectly capable of ignoring it if it brings in funding. 
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Worst ads heard during FTL

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 32 queries.