Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Winter Vitamin D
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Winter Vitamin D  (Read 17542 times)

Dylboz

• What a deal! A few bucks a month makes me an
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • Only Anarcho-Capitalism is consistent with the NAP
    • View Profile
Winter Vitamin D
« on: September 09, 2009, 05:05:52 PM »

YOU NEED TO EXPOSE YOUR SKIN TO THE SUN TO GET IT TO MAKE VITAMIN D.

All that bullshit about the angle of the sun or overcast skies is far less relevant than clothing and exposure, which none of you mentioned.

You need to EXPOSE your naked flesh to the SUN. No one does that in -25° New Hampshire. So you get deficient. That is how it works.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 05:31:28 PM by Dylboz »
Religion is metaphysical statism. I will be ruled by no man on earth, nor by any god in heaven.

Please check out my blog!
Dylboznia

One two three

• View Profile
Re: Winter Vitamin D
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 05:14:27 PM »

You certainly don't need exposure to sunlight to get the needed amount of Vitamin D.  However, that is one way to get it.  As for -25 NH, I'm sure it gets much colder than that in parts of NH but I've certainly never experienced anything colder than -20ish and that was in a freezer in TN.  It really wasn't that bad, of course there wasn't any wind.  I didn't need a hat or coat or anything like that.
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

Dylboz

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 05:24:13 PM »

HR, if you want to get natural Vitamin D, there is ONLY ONE WAY TO GET IT. Sun exposure on your skin.

Sure, you can take supplements, but the discussion I am referring to was regarding why people's bodies produce less Vitamin D during the winter. It is because they expose less skin, and there is less sun to expose it too. Whether it's -25 or +25, it's still too cold to go out in a T-shirt for long enough even if the sun is out. You need to expose your entire torso and arms and head to direct sunlight for about 10 minutes (longer if you're darker skinned) to get a full day's dose. The less skin you expose, the longer you need to be out there. That doesn't happen in winter. Despite living in Arizona, I still take supplements, but that doesn't change the physical process by which natural Vitamin D is created in the body.
Religion is metaphysical statism. I will be ruled by no man on earth, nor by any god in heaven.

Dylboznia

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 06:20:11 PM »

HR, if you want to get natural Vitamin D, there is ONLY ONE WAY TO GET IT. Sun exposure on your skin.

Sure, you can take supplements, but the discussion I am referring to was regarding why people's bodies produce less Vitamin D during the winter. It is because they expose less skin, and there is less sun to expose it too. Whether it's -25 or +25, it's still too cold to go out in a T-shirt for long enough even if the sun is out. You need to expose your entire torso and arms and head to direct sunlight for about 10 minutes (longer if you're darker skinned) to get a full day's dose. The less skin you expose, the longer you need to be out there. That doesn't happen in winter. Despite living in Arizona, I still take supplements, but that doesn't change the physical process by which natural Vitamin D is created in the body.

I hate to break it to you, but the people I know go outside more in the winter in NH than in TN where I used to live.  That might be because there is so much more to do up here. 
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

BonerJoe

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 06:27:56 PM »

Alex Libman 15

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 06:28:16 PM »

If you were to rank all factors that go into your health, the difference between the quality of Vitamin D you get from the sun and the Vitamin D you get from a pill wouldn't make the Top 200 list.  Economic freedom and the freedom to choose your health-care solutions would be #1.

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 06:55:30 PM »

Is this a serious topic?  what a fucking waste of time.

No, he was just trolling me about NH.  Vitamin D from a pill is complete fine.

Dylboz

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 07:38:39 PM »

No, he was just trolling me about NH.  Vitamin D from a pill is complete fine.

NO, I wasn't trolling YOU about anything. I also never said that Vitamin D pills are no good, I even said I take them. You are being stupid. And you don't read.

Anyway, I listened to the show from 9/2, and during the 'natural alternative to the flu vaccine' segment, they had a lengthy discussion of why people don't get enough Vitamin D from the sun in the summer, and Ian seemed skeptical, as if it just happened magically because you could see the sun (he literally said, "I sit in here all winter long and I see the sun shining" without a hint of irony). I felt that I had to point out that the sunlight has to interact with your body to generate Vitamin D.

Dylboznia

Dylboz

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 07:40:35 PM »

I hate to break it to you, but the people I know go outside more in the winter in NH than in TN where I used to live.  That might be because there is so much more to do up here.  

Why are you an idiot? Are you fucking high, or is your reading comprehension just that bad?

People can go outside all fucking day, dude. If they are wearing clothes, like long sleeve jackets and hats, which is typical of the winter months, even here in sunny Arizona, they will not get any NATURAL Vitamin D from their own BODY.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 07:52:39 PM by Dylboz »

Dylboznia

Dylboz

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 07:42:09 PM »

Your post is a fucking waste of time. So I deleted it.

Dylboznia

blackie

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 08:57:31 PM »

Not true. You just need the right kind of light. It doesn't need to come from the sun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_D#Production_in_the_skin
Synthesis in the skin involves UVB radiation which effectively penetrates only the epidermal layers of skin. While 7-Dehydrocholesterol absorbs UV light at wavelengths between 270–300 nm, optimal synthesis occurs in a narrow band of UVB spectra between 295-300 nm. Peak isomerization is found at 297 nm. This narrow segment is sometimes referred to as D-UV.

Alex Libman 15

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 10:20:53 PM »

See, every problem has a technological solution.  8)

(Except political problems, because killing millions of people, even in self-defense, is not something that most of us are willing to do.  At least not yet.)

Dylboz

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 11:12:19 PM »

Not true. You just need the right kind of light. It doesn't need to come from the sun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_D#Production_in_the_skin
Synthesis in the skin involves UVB radiation which effectively penetrates only the epidermal layers of skin. While 7-Dehydrocholesterol absorbs UV light at wavelengths between 270–300 nm, optimal synthesis occurs in a narrow band of UVB spectra between 295-300 nm. Peak isomerization is found at 297 nm. This narrow segment is sometimes referred to as D-UV.

True. Nonetheless, the UVB light has to fall on bare skin. And most lights don't cast UVB light, so unless you light your home or office with reptile bulbs, you're gonna get D deficient indoors.

Dylboznia

blackie

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 11:24:33 PM »

Maybe Ian tends to an indoor weed garden while nude.

kalmia

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 04:14:53 AM »

Somebody also could have pointed out that white people are more likely to get the vitamin D they need in the winter in northern climates than dark skin people are.  Dark skinned people need more vitamin D in northern climates.  This is why light skin people originated in places with low amounts of winter sun.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Winter Vitamin D

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.