Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Wed Sept 2 Show, the Worst Ever
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Wed Sept 2 Show, the Worst Ever  (Read 6368 times)

Scott in Winnipeg

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
Wed Sept 2 Show, the Worst Ever
« on: September 04, 2009, 09:50:59 AM »

Just listened to the podcast from Wednesday. Wow... never have I not enjoyed FTL this much.

The amount of non-science, pure misinformation and clap-trap promoted and talked about whenever the subject of vaccines came up was disturbing. Usually the guys are pretty good with their understanding of science and technology, expect in this one area.

The anti-government bias is clearly clouding their ability to look at this subject from the purely scientific view since governments promote vaccines so much and use their bully like ways to entice people to get vaccinated.

And the website that Wayne was promoting? http://www.healthfreedomusa.org/

Puh-lease.

"Natural" things that have medicinal value are called "medicine", because their active ingredients can be isolated and synthesized, making it more effective and lessening possible side-effects. All medicine came from the Earth at one point. That site promotes homeopathy as a remedy for the flue. Yeah, taking sugar pills with one drop of water on them sure will cure ya.

Wayne scoffed at the idea of herd immunity. Well Wayne, people that don't get vaccinated for whatever reason rely on herd immunity to protect them from these diseases. And since the anti-vaccination craze has picked up over the past few years herd immunity is going down, and people that can't or won't get vaccinated are getting sick and dying at an increased rate because of it.

Ugh.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=516

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
Re: Wed Sept 2 Show, the Worst Ever
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 10:52:20 AM »

And here I assumed the show sucked because I called in :P

Seriously, when the FTL crew talks about pseudoscience and mysticism, it's like the Special Olympics of the Mind. Oh well, I'm going to go visualize my quarks into a state of deep peace for a while.

Scott in Winnipeg

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 10:54:08 AM »

it's like the Special Olympics of the Mind.

LOL. You made a good point on the show and I think it was wise to just move on as you did. I'll probably call in to chat about it with the folks, perhaps when Wayne is back on. It'll make some good radio with the conflict that will no doubt ensue :)

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 02:29:42 PM »

I just tune out most of the nonsense. Unfortunately I think many new listeners will hear it and figure, "Yep. One more irrational, nutty conspiracy show."
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 05:34:20 PM »

I just tune out most of the nonsense. Unfortunately I think many new listeners will hear it and figure, "Yep. One more irrational, nutty conspiracy show."
^this

I love a lot of what Sam does but he needs to acknowledge that his actual scientific knowledge is around zero and not pretend that "intuition" substitutes well for "experiment".

Kevin Freeheart

• FTL AMPlifier Gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 08:31:59 PM »

I love a lot of what Sam does but he needs to acknowledge that his actual scientific knowledge is around zero and not pretend that "intuition" substitutes well for "experiment".

I agree pretty much 100% here. I think Sam is a great guy. I find him less-than-entertaining on FTL.
Quote from: John Shaw
Libman was setting you up. You see, he's a resident troll, which means that while I hate him passionately and wish him great harm, he's ONE OF OURS. You are a pathetic interloper who will fade away in a few weeks at most.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 09:28:39 PM »

Just listened to the podcast from Wednesday. Wow... never have I not enjoyed FTL this much.

The amount of non-science, pure misinformation and clap-trap promoted and talked about whenever the subject of vaccines came up was disturbing. Usually the guys are pretty good with their understanding of science and technology, expect in this one area.

The anti-government bias is clearly clouding their ability to look at this subject from the purely scientific view since governments promote vaccines so much and use their bully like ways to entice people to get vaccinated.

And the website that Wayne was promoting? http://www.healthfreedomusa.org/

Puh-lease.

"Natural" things that have medicinal value are called "medicine", because their active ingredients can be isolated and synthesized, making it more effective and lessening possible side-effects. All medicine came from the Earth at one point. That site promotes homeopathy as a remedy for the flue. Yeah, taking sugar pills with one drop of water on them sure will cure ya.

Wayne scoffed at the idea of herd immunity. Well Wayne, people that don't get vaccinated for whatever reason rely on herd immunity to protect them from these diseases. And since the anti-vaccination craze has picked up over the past few years herd immunity is going down, and people that can't or won't get vaccinated are getting sick and dying at an increased rate because of it.

Ugh.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=516

This completely. And yep, I agree, Sam should stick to calling in or guest interviewing about his activism...not as a co-host.  He's just not a guy we want to listen to on most topics.

Sorry Sam. Its the hard truth.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

gibson042

• Non-Aggression Principal since 2006
    • View Profile
    • gibson.mp
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 11:33:02 PM »

This, just so much this.  This all over the place.  More this than you can handle.

The second part of that famous quote comes to mind...
"WOOOOOP  WOOOOOP  WOOOOP EH EH EH EH HHHEEEOOOO HEEEOOOOO" —Rillion

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 12:52:25 AM »

"mind so open his brain falls out"

Lol I've never heard that quote before.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 01:13:14 AM »

You guys are just giving negative feedback as a means of fucking with the universal emissions of positivitiness that FTL has called for, so stoppit.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Changed My Mind

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 06:00:08 AM »

I look forward to episodes where Sam is on it.   Some people are more opposed to being forced to have a vaccine. 

When they're wrong, why don't you smart people call them up and inform them of your opinion.

Scott in Winnipeg

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 01:25:18 PM »

I look forward to episodes where Sam is on it. 

I like Sam on the show, when he starts to talk about "Law of Attraction" stuff I just grin an bear it.

Some people are more opposed to being forced to have a vaccine.  

I am 100% opposed to forced vaccination, and that isn't the point anyways, I am reffering to the science.

When they're wrong, why don't you smart people call them up and inform them of your opinion.

I've called the show numerous time (Scott in Winnipeg) and will be sure to bring this up.

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 01:37:01 PM »

Well, something had to balance the goodness of the discussions Tuesday on private provisioning of "public" goods.

The subjects are brought up by callers, so of course there are going to be good days and bad days.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

Kevin Freeheart

• FTL AMPlifier Gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 05:44:59 PM »

Because I don't know they're wrong until days after they've blasted it over the airwaves. Days later, I care less than enough to wait till FTL comes on to call them and bring up a subject that they talked about earlier in the week. The "Live" part works well for radio. Not so well for Podcast.
Quote from: John Shaw
Libman was setting you up. You see, he's a resident troll, which means that while I hate him passionately and wish him great harm, he's ONE OF OURS. You are a pathetic interloper who will fade away in a few weeks at most.

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 10:52:49 PM »

In the past three years or so, (longer, I suspect) I have missed maybe four or five shows. During that time, I have never once listened live.

Not

once.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Wed Sept 2 Show, the Worst Ever

// ]]>

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 46 queries.