Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Stop being an asshole about prepositions
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stop being an asshole about prepositions  (Read 5753 times)

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
Re: Stop being an asshole about prepositions
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 03:42:58 AM »

Fake languages always fail because they are born dead. Living languages have the flexibility to evolve. The English you speak today is not the same as the English spoken by your grandfather, and would be almost unrecognizable to someone born in Shakespeare's day. (Just look at the word “gay,” for example. Some young people today don't even know that the term had an entirely different connotation a generation ago.)

Rule fail in English because they were written largely in the 19th Century using Latin rules—which don't work for English. In reality general usage makes the rules, and this is forever evolving.

As for the stupid rule against ending sentences in prepositions, it exists in Latin, but not in English.

BTW, I was an English major. The most important grammar rule I learned is that most of the grammar “rules” are bullshit.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

Alex Libman

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 07:12:08 AM »

I think we need a dichotomy - a perfectly logical universal language for some uses, and a perfectly subjective freely-evolving regional languages for others.

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2010, 09:29:50 AM »

I think we need a dichotomy - a perfectly logical universal language for some uses, and a perfectly subjective freely-evolving regional languages for others.

English.

Use it precisely when precision is important.

Say whatcha gonna say when that does the job better.

I remember reading a shortstory where the word "goes" was used instead of "said". The first few pages hurt, then it stopped hurting.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

crossofcrimson

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2010, 10:13:24 AM »

I like how, in an attempt to mock the OP, people are throwing out phrases which they believe (I guess) end in a proposition...and actually don't.

sandm000

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2010, 11:08:29 AM »

Rape Cages for some, tiny American flags for everyone else!

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2010, 11:46:39 AM »

English is by default the universal language. It's the official language of more countries than any other, and more people speak English than any other language. (Forget Mandarin. While it's the first language of more people than any other, more people speak English as a second language than any other.)

World wide, it's the language of science, business, and industry. A French pilot landing at an Italian airport converses in English with the control tower.

Knowing I was going to Mexico on a trip, I spent some time brushing up on my Spanish. I really looked forward to trying it out by speaking to the locals. I was disappointed though, since virtually everyone I met spoke better English than I did Spanish.

There is a huge demand to learn English in other parts of the world. If someone in Japan or Brazil or Nigeria is studying a language, it's almost certainly English.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

rwwright

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2010, 10:24:53 AM »

Heh ... Gardner Goldsmith's Liberty Conspiracy would drive you totally buggy.  :lol:

I've tried listening to it and couldn't stand it, but I don't remember that having anything to do with his grammar.

I like how, in an attempt to mock the OP, people are throwing out phrases which they believe (I guess) end in a proposition...and actually don't.

Even if they did, why would that bother me?

crossofcrimson

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2010, 11:00:31 AM »

Even if they did, why would that bother me?

I'm pretty sure I didn't imply that it would.

rwwright

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2010, 08:30:19 AM »

I'm pretty sure I didn't imply that it would.

Okay...

rwwright

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2010, 12:13:01 PM »

On Saturday (1:32:18), Ian said "I totally understand and empathize with uh... from where you're coming."

Are you fucking kidding me?!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Stop being an asshole about prepositions

// ]]>

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 32 queries.