Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Splitting Podcasts

Poll

How would you like to have podcasts served?

One big file.
- 15 (48.4%)
Main show & Mark's interview as separate files
- 5 (16.1%)
Also split show hours
- 6 (19.4%)
Also split segments [PDF]
- 5 (16.1%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Splitting Podcasts  (Read 7731 times)

Alex Libman 15

Splitting Podcasts
« on: October 14, 2009, 06:58:06 PM »

IMHO that would have many advantages:

• From what I understand, Mark's interview is always recorded before the show, so why delay its release?

• With the addition of Mark's interview, the podcast often tops 2.5 hours, which makes it ever more difficult to wind through on a cheap MP3 player (i.e. if you accidentally press the forward / back button while listening and lose your place, or want to resume up to the spot you've listened up to on the computer, etc).

• People who just want to link to or download a specific segment of the show can do this more easily, and segment files would be small enough to e-mail, etc.

• If anyone ever wanted to pick out specific segments of the show dealing with a particular topic and burn them to a CD, or something like that, then they would be able to do that w/o having to find, download, and learn an audio editing program.

• Podcast listeners would then be more likely to at least start listening to the show on the same day (i.e. before their bedtime), which would make their listening experience less stale.  Would you read a newspaper if you always got it a day late?

• I don't know if Ian would agree to have someone put out the segment MP3's soon after the segment is done airing, but that would be awesome!  It means people who can't stream the show live can listen to the beginning parts of the show while the show is still taking place, and call in to talk about it the very same day.

• This can be an AMP-only perk, prompting more podcast listeners to start / resume AMP'ing.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 07:04:00 PM by Alex Libman »

Harry Tuttle

• Please don't feed the elitists
    • View Profile
Re: Splitting Podcasts
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 07:48:24 PM »

I have often thought I would like to see show hours split, although I now have a better MP3 player that doesn't lose its place when I plug it into a charger.
"If you're giving up your freedom to have freedom you don't have freedom, dummy."              - Mark Edge (10/11/08 show)

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 09:53:05 PM »

No option for "I don't care. Hey, it's free--let 'em do it however the hell they want to."
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

Alex Libman 15

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 10:05:59 PM »

No option for "I don't care. Hey, it's free--let 'em do it however the hell they want to."

You vote for that by not voting in this poll.  It goes without saying that Ian can do whatever the hell he wants - this poll merely asks what your personal preference would be.

I'm curious about the people who explicitly want to keep it as 1 file, and what their reasons are.  This can be done as a separate RSS feed, so it shouldn't inconvenience them in any way.  Virtually all MP3 players play files in alphabetical order, and I can't think of an audio player program that doesn't take wildcards or have an importable playlist feature...

akaPoorRichard

• a more perfect union
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 01:18:14 AM »

You can find out how I split the podcast into bite sized chunks here. Been doing it for years.
Keith in PA

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 01:34:48 AM »

Fuck you and your polls :)
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 01:42:46 AM »

Nobody voted the same as me :( Glad its not a democracy.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Alex Libman 15

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 04:12:53 AM »

You can find out how I split the podcast into bite sized chunks here. Been doing it for years.

Who's that Phant guy?  He's funny...

Fuck you and your polls :)

Look, man, I have clinical depression, and I'm one second away from blowing my brains out.  My polls are the only thing I have left.   :(

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 02:57:12 AM »

Speaking of getting podcasts out faster - it's 3AM EST and the site / RSS feed haven't been updated with last night's show...  What gives?

rwwright

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 05:06:54 PM »

Sometimes I don't stop the MP3 in time, hear part of one of Mark's interviews, and get a little queasy. I vote for splitting.

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 05:17:18 PM »

Sometimes his interviews are good, but the last one was one big infomercial for gold hoarding.  :roll:

FTL_Mark

• I'm a Moderator now, but I don't want to hear your whining!
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 05:20:13 PM »

Sometimes his interviews are good, but the last one was one big infomercial for gold hoarding.  :roll:

That is because I think you will be better off in 6 months if you start gold (really silver) hoarding now. It is because I love you, Alex.
No one has conjectured that I could quite possibly be a Libertarian posing as an Anarchist trying to pretend to still be a Libertarian; or what I like to call an Anarcho-Hustler.

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 06:14:15 PM »

I think you will be better off in 6 months if you start gold (really silver) hoarding now.
^this, this, this

Oh, and when is the Joel Winters interview gonna air? I'm listening to a bunch of FTL and there's no Joel.

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 06:24:46 PM »

Yes, because shiny metals offer more security than land, hydrate better than water, fuel fire better than coal, provide more nutrition than rice 'n beans, have more firepower than a bunker-full of Uzis, etc, etc, etc.  :roll:

I'm sorry, but I've noticed how the various "doomsday industries" have made a fortune by sponsoring the alarmist content being broadcast on GCN shows (ex. Alex Jones), and some of them are more rational than others.  Stocking up on non-perishable food, medical supplies, and water filters makes perfect sense - gold and silver do not.  Those commodities have no productive value in times of stability as a stock market investment would, nor are they ideal things to barter in a real emergency, especially since modern technology makes shiny metals very easy to fake.

I remember the economic collapse in early 1990s Russia, where people bartered practical items for growing food and helping their families through the crisis.  Most privately-held gold in Russia was confiscated generations prior, but the street value of the compact stores of value that some people did have -- jewelry, gold watches, medals, gold teeth, etc -- was ridiculously low because few people were willing to buy it.  If someone had stockpiled medicine or plantable seeds instead of shiny metal prior to the crisis, he could have used that crisis to buy up other people's gold at tremendous profit!

Shiny metal is good if you plan to leave your home in a hurry, but most people don't have a better place to go.  In that case it is much better to invest in productive land (i.e. your own little farm) and your relationships with other property owners around you (i.e. buying locally-grown food).  This also includes local militia training, investing in local communications infrastructure, fuel / renewable energy resources, car parts, and so on.  All those things are much cheaper now than they would be in a crisis.

Mark, I understand that what you're doing to promote those sponsors makes good business sense, and I would encourage you to do whatever it takes to keep FTL growing, but I reserve my right to be critical of those sponsors, if not on this forum than elsewhere.

FTL_Mark

• I'm a Moderator now, but I don't want to hear your whining!
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 06:39:27 PM »

I think you will be better off in 6 months if you start gold (really silver) hoarding now.
^this, this, this

Oh, and when is the Joel Winters interview gonna air? I'm listening to a bunch of FTL and there's no Joel.

Maybe tomorrow. He is a slippery sucker.
No one has conjectured that I could quite possibly be a Libertarian posing as an Anarchist trying to pretend to still be a Libertarian; or what I like to call an Anarcho-Hustler.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Splitting Podcasts

// ]]>

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 37 queries.