Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Show hosts need to take Bradley to task on his apologism for cops.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Show hosts need to take Bradley to task on his apologism for cops.  (Read 8105 times)

thekeychainkid

• View Profile

His behavior on the Friday 8-10-12 show was disgusting. He repeatedly made excuses for the police, stated multiple times about multiple stories, that he didn't believe the news stories. Then, deflected questions about his positions which seemed to support a double standard. The man may recognize the danger the war on drugs presents us with, but it is painfully obvious to me that he is a statist.

Simply put, the man made excuses for the police tazing a deaf woman, and then went on to suggest that a citizen who aimed a taser at a cop, would be shot, and that the cop wouldnt be in the wrogn for doing so. In past episodes, he has admitted to pepper spraying people in cuffs, and seems to feel no remorse over it. He is a statist, and obviously supports a society in which the police and the citizens are of different classes. Shame on Mark and Ali for not taking him to task over this. I don't know why the show hosts tip toe around these issues, when Bradley is on, but you need to take him to task on these absurd positions.

Highline

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
Re: Show hosts need to take Bradley to task on his apologism for cops.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 05:36:51 PM »

but it is painfully obvious to me that he is a statist.

I'm a pragmatist.  The police exist, wishing them away won't work, so why not make them better AND more accountable.

Simply put, the man made excuses for the police tazing a deaf woman, and then went on to suggest that a citizen who aimed a taser at a cop, would be shot, and that the cop wouldnt be in the wrogn for doing so.

They were wrong to do it...  but I bet you the reason why they did is because they didn't know she was deaf.  If you recall, I tried to pin down exactly what the dispatcher knew (ie: she called with a TTY machine).  Don't discount the fact that society expects officers to respond to intense situations with very limited information.  It would be the same thing with private protection services, although I imagine the services would actually be more accountable.

Just because a story is read on the internet doesn't mean that all the facts are true.

Regarding someone trying to taser a police officer: you WILL be shot.  Police are trained to treat being tased as deadly force because when they are incapacitated anyone can grab their firearm and shoot them.  

In past episodes, he has admitted to pepper spraying people in cuffs, and seems to feel no remorse over it.

That situation I handled incorrectly.  I do regret making that choice, but I would definitely handle that situation better were it to happen again.

He is a statist, and obviously supports a society in which the police and the citizens are of different classes.

I respectfully disagree.

Shame on Mark and Ali for not taking him to task over this. I don't know why the show hosts tip toe around these issues, when Bradley is on, but you need to take him to task on these absurd positions.

I join you in encouraging them to turn the heat up on me.  I posted your thread on my Facebook wall and tagged Ali and Mark.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 06:04:39 PM by Highline »
-/-

zhaliberty

• FTL AMPlifier Gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 06:20:45 PM »

I heard that episode of freetalklive and I appreciate Brad.  Yes, sometimes he is a bit of an apologist, but i think he's working really hard at not judging ANYONE, even slime bag police officers, until he knows the facts.  He provides the point of view that there could be all kinds of reasons for anything and he doesn't pretend to know those reasons.  It's kind of like how Mark plays the pragmatist to Ian's idealism. 

Keep up the good work Brad.  :)

Crotale

• Anarcho-capitalist
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
    • Follow me on twitter!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 06:29:08 PM »

As I listened to that episode, I did get a feeling similar to the sentiment of the OP - that Bradley was being an apologist for police brutality. It made me listen more intently, and in doing so, I realised that what he was saying was just common sense. It certainly highlighted one's propensity jump to conclusions, and perhaps this in turn relates to the suject matter of what was being discussed. When I, as a voluntarist with an innate prejudice against cops, listened to the stories I had quite a knee-jerk reaction to the story - "THAT's OUTRAGEOUS!!! RAGH! :evil:" - when a more open, considered approach (as Bradley took) is required. Attitudes like mine are never going to win anyone over to supporting our ideals, whereas a more open one like Bradley's is much more rational and, well, just better really.

I really can empathise with what the OP is saying, because I intially got the same impression, which is why I really would encourage him to have another listen to the podcast and hear what Bradley really was getting at.  

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 07:42:44 PM »

I didn't think he was being an apologist.  He was considering different perspectives, and I think that's valuable coming from someone who used to be a cop himself.  What he said sounded pretty reasonable to me.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 10:28:10 AM »

I didn't think he was being an apologist.  He was considering different perspectives, and I think that's valuable coming from someone who used to be a cop himself.  What he said sounded pretty reasonable to me.

This. I think the OP, much like one of the callers that night, is failing to understand the value of understanding the cop's perspective.  DO remember, all his comments are in the context of dealing with a state THAT EXISTS.  If you're an anarchist, as I am, you're not going to love anything about the state, much less the tip of the spear, but you should appreciate someone who WAS the tip of the spear giving you insight into how they think.  I think he does a good job of making it clear that he prefers voluntary solutions.  I believe if he wins the office of grand poobah sheriff, or whatever, he'll be a moderating influence.  I think that's a good thing.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 11:00:32 AM »

A lot of free-staters are so immersed in anti-statist circles that we've practically developed our own language. Many of us actually forget how to speak statist. There's a communication gap and I think it's growing as we immerse ourselves more and more within strictly anti-statist circles. Remembering how to speak statist will be a valuable skill. We need some diplomats.

You also can't shout at statists with your anti-statist lingo and expect it to change anything. You are practically speaking a foreign language. You have to have some patience and teach them our language.

On a side note, I was just chatting with some friends about how exhausted I am with how every conversation seems to go into some libertarian direction. We already agree. There's not really anything to discuss. It takes us out of the world we live in, a statist world, and into some fantasy setting that doesn't exist yet. So many libertarians seem to want to live in that fantasy world to the extent that it's almost debilitating.

Just as an example, let's say there is some delay with a package I've ordered. It was sent via the totally statist monopoly of the U.S. Postal Service.

"We wouldn't have this problem if the USPS wasn't getting massive subsidies and blah blah blah... 15 more mins of ranting about the fantasy world that we hope to live in many years from now."

"Yes, of course. Absolutely right." **lots of enthusiastic nodding that's starting to feel robotic and reflexive.**

Now can we pull ourselves back into the present and the now and the world as it exists right now and deal with it in some kind of productive manner? Can we pick a battle here and there where we might make some progress? If you want to take on the USPS as an activism path, awesome. Focus. You can't take on every battle every moment of your life with this overwhelming behemoth which is the State and get anywhere.

Crotale

• Anarcho-capitalist
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
    • Follow me on twitter!
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 04:56:51 PM »

A lot of free-staters are so immersed in anti-statist circles that we've practically developed our own language. Many of us actually forget how to speak statist. There's a communication gap and I think it's growing as we immerse ourselves more and more within strictly anti-statist circles. Remembering how to speak statist will be a valuable skill. We need some diplomats.

You also can't shout at statists with your anti-statist lingo and expect it to change anything. You are practically speaking a foreign language. You have to have some patience and teach them our language.

On a side note, I was just chatting with some friends about how exhausted I am with how every conversation seems to go into some libertarian direction. We already agree. There's not really anything to discuss. It takes us out of the world we live in, a statist world, and into some fantasy setting that doesn't exist yet. So many libertarians seem to want to live in that fantasy world to the extent that it's almost debilitating.

Just as an example, let's say there is some delay with a package I've ordered. It was sent via the totally statist monopoly of the U.S. Postal Service.

"We wouldn't have this problem if the USPS wasn't getting massive subsidies and blah blah blah... 15 more mins of ranting about the fantasy world that we hope to live in many years from now."

"Yes, of course. Absolutely right." **lots of enthusiastic nodding that's starting to feel robotic and reflexive.**

Now can we pull ourselves back into the present and the now and the world as it exists right now and deal with it in some kind of productive manner? Can we pick a battle here and there where we might make some progress? If you want to take on the USPS as an activism path, awesome. Focus. You can't take on every battle every moment of your life with this overwhelming behemoth which is the State and get anywhere.

You speak a lot of sense.

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 12:43:15 AM »

It can be quite annoying trying to communicate with some voluntaryist and anarcho-capitalists at time.

It is so incredibly easy to communicate with statists.  Just don't act offended to most things, when speaking about liberty, try to talk about things you agree (at least partly on) and use incrementalist language.  If people are trying to do outreach, they should be getting better, not worse, at speaking with statists.

The way some people talk at public meetings or even in court rooms sometimes is ridiculous.
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

geogavino

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 04:55:35 AM »

I think it is a good thing to start out skeptical of stories. That is not only historically validated, but necessary if one is going to identify aggression where it actually occurs. I think Bradley was right to suggest there was more to the story. Was he denying everything outright, or just suggesting that judgement should be based on more information, because that isn't apologism?

Not specific to these comments - sometimes the liberty community automatically accepts stories just because they validate the violence of the state, regardless of evidence. I think it best to be on guard for that reaction.

Highline

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
Re: Re: Show hosts need to take Bradley to task on his apologism for cops.
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 05:44:25 PM »

Well I must admit I'm slightly flattered that there isn't a "less Bradley, please" thread.... 

yet.
-/-

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Show hosts need to take Bradley to task on his apologism for cops.
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 06:19:03 PM »

Well I must admit I'm slightly flattered that there isn't a "less Bradley, please" thread.... 

yet.

Should be fine unless it comes to leftist victimhood rants and belittling religious beliefs.

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 09:38:52 AM »

Why would someone taze a handcuffed person? I never continued abusing a downed person. I have beaten up "friends" that attempted to do so though, that sort of thing pisses me off.

Highline

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
Re: Re: Re: Show hosts need to take Bradley to task on his apologism for cops.
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 11:23:51 AM »

Why would someone taze a handcuffed person? I never continued abusing a downed person. I have beaten up "friends" that attempted to do so though, that sort of thing pisses me off.

Are you speaking about my doing that?
-/-

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 12:46:26 PM »

Have you done so? My question is why a cop would hurt a person in cuffs more, unless they were simply a sadist. I was hoping there was a simple answer. To clarify the "friends" I am referring to were wanting to get some digs in on a couple guys I had already beaten. They were spiteful and pathetic, but I didn't really beat them up I guess I just pulled them off and tossed them aside with a bit more then minimum force. Sorry if I came off accusitory.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Show hosts need to take Bradley to task on his apologism for cops.

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 33 queries.