Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Saturday, Dec 11, comments on Treasury securities
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Saturday, Dec 11, comments on Treasury securities  (Read 1091 times)

Branlin

• View Profile
Saturday, Dec 11, comments on Treasury securities
« on: December 11, 2010, 10:04:26 PM »

As I understand it, the US Treasury produces and sells Treasury securities (bonds) which is a way of borrowing money. Corporations and municipalities do the same thing. The buyer receives a stated interest rate every year for the stated length of the bond, then at maturity they receive their principle back.

The Fed buys these securities from the US Treasury. I believe this is what is meant by "monetizing the debt." They "print" (electronically) the money and swap it for the securities. It is like paying off a credit card with another credit card. I suppose you can do that for a while, but someday it comes crashing down.

The Fed has a legal monopoly to counterfeit money. This too, someday, will come crashing down.

If anyone here saw "Uncle Ben" Bernanke on 60 Minutes last Sunday, you probably noticed how nervous and jerky he was. Talk about a cat on a hot tin roof, LMAO. It's probably on YouTube. He must realize it's all phony, and as legendary investor Jim Rogers says, "He's been wrong about everything he's ever done, and all he knows now is to print money."
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 10:06:22 PM by Branlin »
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Saturday, Dec 11, comments on Treasury securities

// ]]>

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 31 queries.