Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Religion = Horseshit
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Religion = Horseshit  (Read 28885 times)

pete1061

Re: Religion = Horseshit
« Reply #105 on: June 07, 2009, 06:13:37 PM »

It's all about our personal beliefs.
For me, my personal belief is that science is an atheistic religion.
For me religion has nothing to do with god or spirituality.
Just a group of people who say that their way is the only way.

and fatcat, who made you the absolute authority anyhow?
You just come off as a self important jackass.

Who called me an absolute authority? I certainly didn't.

I just happen to be smart enough to know what science actually is, and its not "Just a group of people who say that their way is the only way".

I already linked you once to a fairly brief overview of what science actually is. It's not a group, its not a knowledge base, its not a set of dictats, its a set of fluid principles for discerning reliable information about the universe.

Science can never be wrong about anything because science isn't a point of view. The only thing that can be wrong is a theory or an opinion, and the only way you can come to the correct or more correct (as science works on working models not absolute certainty), is by using the scientific method. The scientific method itself has been refined over the last thousands of years. Every part of science is centered around getting a better understanding of the universe.

Thats what makes people like you so fucking stupid when you say stuff like "science can't answer everything". If something exists, then it has to be provable by science. People only like saying it can't because A) they don't know what science is and B) if they acknowledge what science really is, it means they can't believe in stupid bullshit like gods and healing crystals, which are believed on feelings and anecdotal evidence, not fact, which means they exist outside of "the realm of science" because they're just made up.

If we come up against something that our current theories can't explain, then we adapt them to fit the new information. There have been many discoveries that have completely changed, such as wave-particle duality or quantum entanglement

You know what happened? Scientists didn't say, well this doesn't fit with what we already know so it can't possibly be right, it was observed, tested, retested and made subject to peer review, and a new working model of physics was born that encompassed this new information.

I pray to science that you're really just a troll, cause your "everything is just a personal belief" attitude is really fucking stupid.

Fuck you asshole.

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
Re: Religion = Horse shit
« Reply #106 on: June 07, 2009, 09:31:18 PM »

I'll admit that science is much easier for religious folks. If a new fact is found, the first thing they do is check and see if it confirms what's in the Bible. If so, fine. If not, "Dang--must be something wrong with the facts. Better redo them until they come out right."

Real science is about taking reality as it is, rather than bending it to conform to some preexisting judgment.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

Dylboz

• What a deal! A few bucks a month makes me an
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • Only Anarcho-Capitalism is consistent with the NAP
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 08, 2009, 12:48:11 AM »

I'm glad that douche deleted his account and left. Now, what the fuck do we have to do to get rid of you, R3? I'll do whatever it takes, I mean, seriously, I like Brasky more than you!
Religion is metaphysical statism. I will be ruled by no man on earth, nor by any god in heaven.

Please check out my blog!
Dylboznia

Dylboz

• What a deal! A few bucks a month makes me an
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • Only Anarcho-Capitalism is consistent with the NAP
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 08, 2009, 11:59:17 AM »

"Proper?" Ha ha ha ha!  :lol:
Religion is metaphysical statism. I will be ruled by no man on earth, nor by any god in heaven.

Please check out my blog!
Dylboznia

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 08, 2009, 09:27:06 PM »

So, the idea that living things have evolved over millions of years following known laws of biology is difficult to believe. As opposed to the magic theory that they just popped into existence out of nothing...

You are not paying attention, Mike. According to your precious science, it is not known as to how your precious living things originated. If the building blocks of life created your precious evolved beings, then what created the building blocks of life? Where did the building blocks of life come from? If you can't answer this question, then Evolution Theory is just a novelty, and no better than the Magic Theory of dancing unicorns and leprechauns magically blowing the building blocks of life, out of their noses, so that you can have your precious Evolution Theory.

But that is precisely how religion most likely got going, isn't it? We don't know how something works, and so attribute that thing to some god. God was probably a sort of shorthand for explaining things long ago. Where did the earth come from? God did it. Why does life exist? God made it. Why is some tradition in effect? God ordered it.

Science works differently. First, it acknowledges that some things are unknown. You're correct in assuming that we don't know how life started. However, science does postulate a number of theories on the subject--none of which require magic.
I believe that the study of science is the study of God because God created the universe and set its laws.  The more we understand of science, the more we understand of God.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

fatcat

« Reply #110 on: June 09, 2009, 09:50:49 AM »

So, the idea that living things have evolved over millions of years following known laws of biology is difficult to believe. As opposed to the magic theory that they just popped into existence out of nothing...

You are not paying attention, Mike. According to your precious science, it is not known as to how your precious living things originated. If the building blocks of life created your precious evolved beings, then what created the building blocks of life? Where did the building blocks of life come from? If you can't answer this question, then Evolution Theory is just a novelty, and no better than the Magic Theory of dancing unicorns and leprechauns magically blowing the building blocks of life, out of their noses, so that you can have your precious Evolution Theory.

But that is precisely how religion most likely got going, isn't it? We don't know how something works, and so attribute that thing to some god. God was probably a sort of shorthand for explaining things long ago. Where did the earth come from? God did it. Why does life exist? God made it. Why is some tradition in effect? God ordered it.

Science works differently. First, it acknowledges that some things are unknown. You're correct in assuming that we don't know how life started. However, science does postulate a number of theories on the subject--none of which require magic.
I believe that the study of science is the study of God because God created the universe and set its laws.  The more we understand of science, the more we understand of God.

Really?

Care to point to any peer review journal thats published a study that explains god?

What you're basically saying is that, since god made everything, then the more we learn about everything, the more we learn about god. But thats a fucked up way of going about it because you're assuming god exists to begin with, and then using everything as evidence of god without having to prove the link that god actually made everything.

The way I see it there are two main types of argument for god. Historical and Metaphysical, neither of them tend to use any science.

Historical would be, this book is really old and says theres a god, this miraculous thing happened thousands of years ago and for some reason god can't do any miracles now we have video cameras and electron microscopes.

Metaphysical tends to be bullshit like, the universe has to have a beginning, so god is the beginning, or god is the greatest thing in the universe, there must something in the universe greater than anything else, so that is god.

Most of these either start with an unproven assumption (like the universe has a beginning), or attempt to change the definition of god to something that can already be proven to exists (like god is everything, or love is god, math is god, etc), or both.

Science is a method of explanation. You take observation and evidence, you make a hypothesis, then you test it, then you get it tested over and over to make sure the results are right and that nothing else is responsible for the results you're getting.

So have you got any evidence for god that would actually fly in a peer review journal?

Here's some shit that might work.

Things spontaneously popping into existence.
Amputees suddenly growing arms and legs back.
Basically any kind of magic shit that only god or a god like thing could do.
Or actually seeing or being able to measure god and having a recording of it.

Now none of these in themself are proof of god, but they would be evidence, which would then have to be investigated to find out if there is a god that is causing them.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 12:37:16 PM by fatcat »

Pvincent87

« Reply #111 on: June 09, 2009, 08:25:14 PM »

Just as science develops, it is possible for religion/spirituality to develop into something sophisticated.

I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything but WHAT? I mean, how can something you cannot even verify develop into something sophisticated? I mean RLY!  :shock:

Pvincent87

« Reply #112 on: June 09, 2009, 08:47:29 PM »

The reader should pay attention to this. Notice how Vincent is abusing language and logic -- that's what the atheists like to do. They think they can get away with twisting and turning everything around, and trying to make it like my statement makes no sense. The reader should not buy into this kind of typical atheist trickery. Such attempts at this kind of trickery are dishonest, and ironically, when the atheists do it, it proves my past statement that "logic is limited".

I'm not an atheist.

fatcat

« Reply #113 on: June 09, 2009, 08:51:43 PM »

Trying to have a rational discussion with R3 is like trying trying to cut your hair with a spoon.

Don't bother unless you really want to punish yourself.

Pvincent87

« Reply #114 on: June 09, 2009, 08:55:38 PM »

Trying to have a rational discussion with R3 is like trying trying to cut your hair with a spoon.

Well I don't know about punishing myself with a spoon but I got nothing better to do for like two more months lol. I haven't heard many really cogent arguments from the other side of the table on this here debate.  :(   Maybe they will come....?

Pvincent87

« Reply #115 on: June 09, 2009, 08:57:03 PM »

Oh?!?! Then what are you? A card carrying member of the Act Like Spock Club?
Lol what are you talking about? lol seriously im laughing. What...o nevermind.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 09, 2009, 09:16:09 PM »

Well I don't know about punishing myself with a spoon but I got nothing better to do for like two more months lol. I haven't heard many really cogent arguments from the other side of the table on this here debate.  :(   Maybe they will come....?

You won't find them here, as the only people here who bother to argue the theist side are Gene (intellectually dishonest) and Richard (idiot troll).  If you want to debate religion, try the About.com forums. 

Pvincent87

« Reply #117 on: June 09, 2009, 09:59:34 PM »

It's just that they think arguing with atheists is not worth the trouble, and I don't blame them.
I am not arguing the atheist side because I am not an atheist.

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #118 on: June 09, 2009, 10:26:20 PM »

Uh...excuse me, but how on earth is being an atheist "conformist," when the population is overwhelmingly theist? I'd say, if anyone is conforming it is the person who accepts the mainstream idea without question.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 10, 2009, 05:18:46 AM »

Uh...excuse me, but how on earth is being an atheist "conformist," when the population is overwhelmingly theist? I'd say, if anyone is conforming it is the person who accepts the mainstream idea without question.
Kinda like these conformists: http://www.howtobepunk.com/punks/hottopic/
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Religion = Horseshit

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 32 queries.