Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  QUIT using a fake southern accent!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: QUIT using a fake southern accent!!!  (Read 13414 times)

MasterBlaster

Re: QUIT using a fake southern accent!!!
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2005, 05:42:55 PM »

I fear that the ideas of the radical libertarians will never be a viable option unless we find a way to be more moderate!

Compromise gets you in trouble in the end. Like that whole slavery thing with the constitution.

The trouble with that is, compromise also gets results in our current system.  It's important for us to decide whether this is just a great idea to banter around, or if we'd like to actually get some RESULTS...  I would suggest that a more moderate approach to Libertarianism would be a very attractive "3rd party" option for the average US citizen.  People are SICK of the Republicans and the Democrats!  They would LOVE a viable alternative.  When I talk to people about my political beliefs, we usually never get beyond the discussion of legalizing of heroin.  Seriously, do you think this is the issue which should be seen as the cornerstone of the party???  It's NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN!!! Just accept that, and we can MOVE ON!  I'd love for the general population to understand what the Libertarian party even stands for!  The Republicans have a clear message, that's why they're so attractive.  The Libertarian party needs to get the message of Liberty out there...  Most people I talk to are economically conservative and socially liberal.  Aside from the Religious right, who do you know that is for big, intrusive government, high taxes, etc.  LOTS of people have beliefs which are closer to Libertarian than anything else!  They just don't know what that word means!  If we could be INCLUSIVE, and calm down the ridiculous radicalism which pervades this party, we might actually get someone elected.  This is, after all, the POINT of a political party, no?

bonerjoe

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2005, 05:45:40 PM »

However, I've yet to meet someone that talks like that who I would consider intelligent.

Exactly.

I would also have to concur.

bonerjoe

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2005, 05:46:32 PM »

Oh, and Ian likes to ad hominem attack bad spelling and grammar too.

*poke*

Soundwave

• Like a station wagon...
  • Administrator
  • Soundwave superior, constructicons inferior.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2005, 06:07:39 PM »

I don't really think it is a southern accent.  There are plenty of small town people here in Indiana that talk like that.  Last time I checked Indiana was still in a fairly mid-northern location.  I guess the state could have drifted since then.

Good point, it's everywhere.  However, I've yet to meet someone that talks like that who I would consider intelligent.

Agreed.
Julia

FTL_Ian

• Professional Iconoclast
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2005, 06:32:47 PM »

The Republicans have a clear message, that's why they're so attractive. 

Huh??   :?
Please support the show by joining the AMP program at http//amp.freetalklive.com

I blog at http://freekeene.com

MasterBlaster

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2005, 06:49:25 PM »

Your "huh?" point is well taken.  Let's just say the "people" seem to think they know what the Republican's would say on any given issue.  Do you think they could do the same for us? 

EclecticBuddha

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2005, 06:54:54 PM »

does florida really count as "the south"?  I mean old jews, cubans, retired midwesterners, a large tourism economy, and surfers arent really "southern" things.  Fine, youre south of everyone else but the major parts of florida aren't too much like the rest of the south...

MasterBlaster

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2005, 07:05:58 PM »

Yeah, I don't think Florida counts.

bonerjoe

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2005, 07:28:49 PM »

Visit Zephyrhills next time your down here.

Cortaigne

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2005, 07:29:19 PM »

One of the problems I have with FTL and Libertarianism in general, is that it does not try to be inclusive.  I fear that the ideas of the radical libertarians will never be a viable option unless we find a way to be more moderate!  Exclusionary thinking, e.g. all Southerners are stupid, is short-sighted.

One thing that really, REALLY irritates me is when people extrapolate that a mockery of ONE PERSON is representative of a whole class of people.  Mocking a Mexican does not mean you're stereotyping all Mexicans.  Mocking a moronic Southern bureaucrat is not a statement about Southerners in general.  That sort of thinking is what drives politically correct Newspeak.

TN_FSP

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2005, 07:39:59 PM »

I don't really think it is a southern accent.  There are plenty of small town people here in Indiana that talk like that.  Last time I checked Indiana was still in a fairly mid-northern location.  I guess the state could have drifted since then.

KY is right below IN and it is a southern states.  Southern OH and IN were settled by southerners.

MasterBlaster

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2005, 07:46:58 PM »

One of the problems I have with FTL and Libertarianism in general, is that it does not try to be inclusive.  I fear that the ideas of the radical libertarians will never be a viable option unless we find a way to be more moderate!  Exclusionary thinking, e.g. all Southerners are stupid, is short-sighted.

One thing that really, REALLY irritates me is when people extrapolate that a mockery of ONE PERSON is representative of a whole class of people.  Mocking a Mexican does not mean you're stereotyping all Mexicans.  Mocking a moronic Southern bureaucrat is not a statement about Southerners in general.  That sort of thinking is what drives politically correct Newspeak.

Now THAT's an interesting point...  However, when they use the accent, they are not mocking anyone in particular.  They're simply being sarcastic, stating some stupid idea.  Why should that always default to a Southern accent?  In this way, it IS a statement about all Southerners.  That being said, I appreciate your point.

Cortaigne

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2005, 08:01:39 PM »

Now THAT's an interesting point...  However, when they use the accent, they are not mocking anyone in particular.  They're simply being sarcastic, stating some stupid idea.  Why should that always default to a Southern accent?  In this way, it IS a statement about all Southerners.  That being said, I appreciate your point.

To carry the thought a bit further:  you can talk about Puerto Ricans being lazy, but that says nothing about a specific Puerto Rican.  Even if there were a statistical phenomenon of laziness in the Puerto Rican population, that says nothing about any particular individual.

MasterBlaster

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2005, 08:04:20 PM »

Now you're making my point for me...  I'm simply suggesting that his use of the southern drawl is a suggestion that Southerners are stupid---WHICH IS NOT TRUE!!!  If it WERE true, I would have no problem with his implication.

Cortaigne

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2005, 08:37:38 PM »

Now you're making my point for me...  I'm simply suggesting that his use of the southern drawl is a suggestion that Southerners are stupid---WHICH IS NOT TRUE!!!  If it WERE true, I would have no problem with his implication.

I said nothing about Southerners.

I was talking about Puerto Ricans.

Try to keep up.

:wink:

(Incidentally:  can you demonstrate your claim?)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  QUIT using a fake southern accent!!!

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 33 queries.