Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  passport and travel
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: passport and travel  (Read 4086 times)

wingmanpi

• View Profile
passport and travel
« on: April 04, 2012, 07:32:05 PM »

here is a link for a discussion on the best passports to travel with.  thought it might be
helpful.

http://www.travellerspoint.com/forum.cfm?thread=52569

Bill Brasky

• Emperor of Wisdom
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: passport and travel
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 12:58:30 AM »

The best passport to travel with is the one where you hold legal citizenship.

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 03:40:57 AM »

In Northern Europe one seldom needs a passport. Guess they figure the cold keeps people out.

Bill Brasky

• Emperor of Wisdom
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 04:23:36 AM »

In Northern Europe one seldom needs a passport. Guess they figure the cold keeps people out.

Thats bullshit.

You can travel from country to country without papers?  I'd like to see you try, on video.

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 01:33:40 PM »

Went from Norway to Sweden about a hour ago. You can look at the two separate IP addresses Mr. Mod.
Nobody in my family has their passport. I guess I can film the crossing back in a few days. You want a photo of us going by the welcome too sign or what?

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 04:05:33 PM »

Went from Norway to Sweden about a hour ago. You can look at the two separate IP addresses Mr. Mod.
Nobody in my family has their passport. I guess I can film the crossing back in a few days. You want a photo of us going by the welcome too sign or what?

8)

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 05:16:27 PM »

I dont know about Europe, because I wouldn't really want to go there in the first place, cept for a handful of places, but I did get into Japan by way of a scuba-diving junket that originated in the Philippines. No questions asked, no weird glances from the law or anything. Not bad for a "round-eye".

I'd guess the US is somewhere in the top 30% when it comes to douchebaggery as far as crossing borders goes, only to be beaten by places like Turkey, China, former Soviet Union, etc.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 05:20:37 PM by Turd Ferguson »
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 05:24:26 PM »

...........of us going by the welcome too sign or what?

Pictures of you slapping your semi-hard cock against a border agents leg, or it didn't happen. :P
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

apocalisanow

• Yankee Expat in Barcelona
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 11:19:13 PM »

As a seasoned traveller and expat living abroad I was kinda shocked about your guys lack of knowledge about passports... but I guess if you've never needed one so why be informed, right?  TSA George, though well meaning, doesn' t know what he's talking about... obtaining another country's passport? Maybe it was a joke... The only people able to have another passport are those with dual nationality... like my kids who have one parent of each country and even then, not all countries allow it.  In some cases the US makes you give up one of the two. So Ian, let's say one of your parents are or were from Country X - hopefully they'd have registered you at that country's consulate when you were born so getting a passport would be easy.  If not, you would have to take in that parent's birth certificate and other docs first and then apply for yours providing you are allowed to have a dual nationality.  In some places dual nationality for a male means having to do military service - so watch out! LOL AND you don't have to go to NY city for God Sakes,,,,most State capitals have all of the major consulates.. I know it's a pain and I also hate having to bend over and crack my ankles for OUR MASTERS but for now we have to play their game ....
so get out your wallet, birth cert, pictures prepare to SUBMIT!  LOL Luv u Guys!
...just sayin' ...

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 01:24:42 AM »

...........of us going by the welcome too sign or what?

Pictures of you slapping your semi-hard cock against a border agents leg, or it didn't happen. :P
Cock only has two adjustments; worm or howitzer ram rod.

Bill Brasky

• Emperor of Wisdom
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 04:03:13 AM »

So, they didn't card you at all?  No drivers license, no visual check of the vehicles stickers?  (failure of which would probably get you into a secondary-level check)

I know a bunch of folks who did the student backpack tour all over Europe, and even back in the '90's, it wasn't uncommon to get asked for papers.

You should try taking that car from Norway, through Sweden, and visit a few other countries.  Take the "Baltic Circle", through Denmark, Germany, Poland, etc. 

We won't be hearing from you again, if you go behind the former Iron Curtain.

In fact, it's probably unlikely that you could go to England without problems.  And that's Europe.  So is Spain.  So is Portugal.  France is a bunch of nasty.

You found the one redneck crossing, where common border crossing isn't questioned.  I can cross into Tijuana if I want, I just can't come back.  Keep trying, I'm sure you'll run afoul of the law, at some point.

Bill Brasky

• Emperor of Wisdom
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 04:34:34 AM »

As a seasoned traveller and expat living abroad I was kinda shocked about your guys lack of knowledge about passports... but I guess if you've never needed one so why be informed, right?  TSA George, though well meaning, doesn' t know what he's talking about... obtaining another country's passport? Maybe it was a joke... The only people able to have another passport are those with dual nationality... like my kids who have one parent of each country and even then, not all countries allow it.  In some cases the US makes you give up one of the two. So Ian, let's say one of your parents are or were from Country X - hopefully they'd have registered you at that country's consulate when you were born so getting a passport would be easy.  If not, you would have to take in that parent's birth certificate and other docs first and then apply for yours providing you are allowed to have a dual nationality.  In some places dual nationality for a male means having to do military service - so watch out! LOL AND you don't have to go to NY city for God Sakes,,,,most State capitals have all of the major consulates.. I know it's a pain and I also hate having to bend over and crack my ankles for OUR MASTERS but for now we have to play their game ....
so get out your wallet, birth cert, pictures prepare to SUBMIT!  LOL Luv u Guys!

Love this post.  Especially this part...

The only people able to have another passport are those with dual nationality... like my kids who have one parent of each country and even then, not all countries allow it.  In some cases the US makes you give up one of the two.

The US does NOT like dual citizenship.  It tolerates dual citizenship if you are a citizen of, say, Canada, and then become an American holding Dual Citizenship.  You have to go through the whole bullshit, which is pretty long.

..But if you try to do it the other way, they REALLY dislike that.

Like, if you were a citizen of the US, and then tried to get dual citizenship in Costa Rica, Costa Rica would probably grant it, bit the US considers that like a slap in the face.  NO US citizen should ask for dual nationality. 

That is where the whole expat hoopla comes from.  Giving up your US citizenship is like cutting your wrists, you'll never get it back.  Ever.  If you accept citizenship in any other country, and renounce your US citizenship, in favor of another country, you become Persona non grata.  You can get turned away trying to enter US soil, with a perfectly valid foreign citizenship.

By doing that, you forfeit a whole bunch of rights.  Possibly forfeit owned property, monies entitled to you in a will. 

You can even become the so-called "man without a country", and that can be pretty troublesome.  Foreign consulates won't deal with you, at all.  Its the ex-pat nightmare. 

Famously, there was some guy who was tangled up in the terrorist bullshit, about ten years ago.  Nobody would "claim" him, and he was basically fucked.  I think he spent time in prison in Syria, or Abu Dabi, claiming to be a Palestinian of Jordanian descent. 

I have no idea what happened to him, but if he was US, he'd probably be extradited through the system and eventually go through the "US Justice system", which is probably better than Syria's.

(not saying I like the idea of being "guantanimo'd", but permanently cutting your ties to the USA is kinda sketchy.  It freaks me out a little.  I guess it's supposed to.)

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 02:53:54 PM »

With the European Union open it simply isn't a problem, sorry. I wish it could be down to me being such a badass but it just isn't. The US has gone batshit crazy with the border security bullshit but the rest of the world loosened up. The only places where it is getting more difficult is in airports and this is just because the US is forcing countries to comply to their dumn assed policies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  passport and travel

// ]]>

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 31 queries.