Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Oppinion: spanking children
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Oppinion: spanking children  (Read 35478 times)

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
Re: Oppinion: spanking children
« Reply #120 on: October 17, 2009, 05:00:10 PM »

Just a bit of advice from experiences with my kids- acting up is almost always as a result of the kid needing a nap. It's often worked for me when I put them in their rooms for awhile just to have them wind down. If they're not sleepy I tell them to stay in their room until they calm down and then they can come out.

Yeah, I've heard it said that you shouldn't send your kid to their room because they may associate their room with punishment, or they may manipulate the parents into sending them there so they can play with their toys, etc. So big deal if they play with their toys.. and their rooms should hopefully be used for fun times far more often than punishments, so I don't really agree with those critiques.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

jgo

« Reply #121 on: October 17, 2009, 08:37:12 PM »

If spanking is so effective why would you ever need to do it more than once?

You don't, because it does work.  At worst, I've seen (experienced) a spanking for one sort of misbehavior and another spanking for a different kind of misbehavior.

The children I've been around who were not ever spanked or had a hand slapped tended to be hellions, less literate, didn't take care of their things or respect the property of others, and lacked drive/ industriousness.

fatcat

« Reply #122 on: October 17, 2009, 10:21:22 PM »

If spanking is so effective why would you ever need to do it more than once?

You don't, because it does work.  At worst, I've seen (experienced) a spanking for one sort of misbehavior and another spanking for a different kind of misbehavior.

Thats curious because thats not what any other pro spanking people in this thread have said.

blackie

« Reply #123 on: October 18, 2009, 10:01:02 AM »

Thats curious because thats not what any other pro spanking people in this thread have said.
You should call it pro choice, not pro spanking.

fatcat

« Reply #124 on: October 18, 2009, 05:18:24 PM »

You should call it pro choice, not pro spanking.

Why would someone choose to spank if they didn't think it was useful tool?

The way I see it the debate is split between people who think spanking is sometimes neccessary, and people who think its always unnecessary.

If I thought that there were some instances spanking makes sense there wouldn't be much point in me arguing against it, or anyone else for that matter.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 05:51:48 PM by fatcat »

The Green Bastard

• From Parts Unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 21, 2009, 03:53:08 PM »

ciscokid1024

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 22, 2009, 06:12:44 AM »

It's very interesting that the clip shows kids in school. It helps reinforce that the only reason that spanking is used is to teach blind obedience to power and authority.

Thanks for sharing it.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 22, 2009, 07:22:10 AM »

It's very interesting that the clip shows kids in school. It helps reinforce that the only reason that spanking is used is to teach blind obedience to power and authority.

Thanks for sharing it.
Sometimes that is necessary.  If you're going to live in someone elses home for free, you better respect their authority with blind obedience or GTFO and take care of yourself.

Spanking IMO is only appropriate as a last measure to enforce parental authority.  But it can very well be appropriate.  I know I deserved it because I was a hellion.  My kids will probably be hell raisers too, and that's a good thing, but hell raising hellions need to learn when/how certain behaviors are appropriate, and with hell raiser children, spanking can become the only way to explain it.  I know it was in a few cases for me.  Until I reached maturity.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

LordMarius

• The only Norwegian freemarketeer
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 23, 2009, 07:58:36 AM »

I have this to say on spanking:

The ones who never spank are either saints, or they don't have children.

Or, they are just not psychos who use violence against their kids.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 23, 2009, 08:39:50 AM »

FAIL.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

LordMarius

• The only Norwegian freemarketeer
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 23, 2009, 09:49:04 AM »

FAIL.

Whut? If you hit your own kids you're a damn psycho. How the fuck can a sane person hit his or her own kids?

BonerJoe

« Reply #131 on: October 23, 2009, 10:21:20 AM »

How can a sane person initiate force and tell a kid to stop doing something?

blackie

« Reply #132 on: October 23, 2009, 10:30:56 AM »

Do you consider giving shots and drawing blood from a kid as violence?

I'm pretty sure sticking sharp metal objects into a person is considered initiation of force.

blackie

« Reply #133 on: October 23, 2009, 10:33:32 AM »

Do time outs and/or taking a child's property away count as the initiation of force?

fatcat

« Reply #134 on: October 23, 2009, 12:53:04 PM »

Do time outs and/or taking a child's property away count as the initiation of force?

Dude enough with the childs property bullshit.

Does your child own his room? Can he rent it out to backpackers if he wants? Can he sell his room when he leaves home?

You don't gift kids part of your own house, and most reasonable parents dont unconditionally gift most other things, its an implicit assumption that they're things parents have bought and are allowing kids to use. If you insist on being a pedant about it, heres what you do. Don't give your kids anything, lend them things, that way it isn't their property your confiscating, its yours.

Except most parents don't find the need to be so explicitly crass, its more of, "here, this is yours (but if you fuck around I might take it off you/deprive your access to it)".

Do you let your kids watch as much TV as they want no questions asked? Is it your TV or the kids TV?

Time outs don't count as initiation of force if they're based on your property
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Oppinion: spanking children

// ]]>

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 32 queries.