Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Obama: Gov't is Monopoly of Force
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Obama: Gov't is Monopoly of Force  (Read 1295 times)

The Anarchia Virus

• View Profile
Obama: Gov't is Monopoly of Force
« on: April 12, 2010, 02:28:01 AM »

Hey, the other day on the show (Friday I think), Mark mentioned that Obama was giving a speech or something recently, and basically said that "government is a monopoly on the use of force."  Does anyone know when/where he said this, or have a link to it?  I'd really like to know, because if he really did say that, well that's a pretty damning quote.

The Anarchia Virus

• View Profile
Re: Obama: Gov't is Monopoly of Force
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 02:54:31 AM »

awesome, thanks dude!

Evil Muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 04:11:27 PM »

Why is it damning?  This is a widespread and commonly held viewpoint.  This is one of the central tenets for almost all political ideologies. 
Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

The Muslim Agorist

• FTL Creative Team
  • Join the Counter Economy
    • View Profile
    • The San Francisco Muslim Examiner
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 02:39:56 AM »

Quote from: My political agnosticism
The phrase originates from Max Weber's book Politics as a Vocation, although he would have expressed it in the original German, "Gewaltmonopol des Staates." Weber was a German lawyer, politician and sociologist and his definition of government, “that entity which claims a monopoly on the legitimate use of violence in a given area,” is widely accepted by most political scientists today. He is regarded as the principal thinker in modern western statecraft...

In 1918 Weber became a consultant to the commission charged with drafting the Constitution of the Weimar Republic. Perhaps his greatest contribution was his support of Article 48 which states, “If public security and order are seriously disturbed or endangered within the Reich, the President of the Reich may take measures necessary for their restoration, intervening if need be with the assistance of the armed forces. For this purpose he may suspend, in whole or in part, the fundamental rights provided in Articles 114, 117, 118, 123, 124 and 153.”

In affect this Article gave the German president the legal authority to suspend all individual rights, including but not limited to, privacy in the home, privacy in correspondence, freedom of expression, freedom of assembly, the right to form religious societies and the right to property. And, to do this unilaterally, without input from the German people of their representative body...

The political climate in America today owes more to Max Weber than any of the founding fathers, and the authority usurped by our imperial presidents has more similitude with this Article from the Weimar Constitution than any Article in our own.

Read More
"The Greatest Jihad is to speak a word of truth in the face of a tyrant."
~Prophet Muhammad

I'm tired of Repeating Myself
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Obama: Gov't is Monopoly of Force

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.