Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Mark regrets his tattoos
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Mark regrets his tattoos  (Read 20649 times)

Bill Brasky

Re: Mark regrets his tattoos
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 08:06:22 PM »

You either get one or you don't. 

fatcat

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 08:12:01 PM »

i wouldn't want to get tattoos that were meant to fade on purpose, i love my tattoos, even the shitty ones... i like knowing they will be with me tru thick or thin, even if they get weathered and shrivel with my skin as i age.

i love seeing old sailors with gnarly blue blown out faded anchors and shit down their arms.

to tell you the truth, if i manage to get good enough to WORK in a tattoo shop. i would not want to offer "temporary" tattoos. yeah i would maybe get more business from the same people over and over again thru the years, but i just prefer traditional "stick on your ass forever" tattoos  :D

I really don't get this attitude.

would people get a hat they really like surgically attached to their head?

I don't get the whole "its ballsy/permanent so its cool" thing, so is hacking off cock and eating it.

I think its one of those self-enforcing things like smoking where everyone who's gotten a tattoo and maybe regretted has to buy into some bullshit of why the sucky parts of it are actually good.

its not a permanent mistake, its a mark of courage and individuality,

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MY4kFSuMvKM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MY4kFSuMvKM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Bill Brasky

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 08:20:11 PM »

The permanence itself is part of the allure and mystique.  A lot of creativity goes into the conceptualization of design knowing its permanent.  And a lot of fail happens when people don't think it through. 

Semi-permanent ink makes all that stuff trivial. 

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 08:30:34 PM »

The permanence itself is part of the allure and mystique.  A lot of creativity goes into the conceptualization of design knowing its permanent.  And a lot of fail happens when people don't think it through.  

That's pretty much it-- I don't give a damn about being "ballsy."  The point is that it's a committment, and a committment is a statement to both yourself and the rest of the world with whom you choose to share it.  
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 08:38:04 PM by Rillion »

fatcat

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2010, 09:28:36 PM »

The following post is brought to you by fatcat's desire to over-analyze trivial topics, don't read if you get bored easy or think you'll get riled by someone who has no tattoos bitching about tattoos for a full page.

The permanence itself is part of the allure and mystique.  A lot of creativity goes into the conceptualization of design knowing its permanent.  And a lot of fail happens when people don't think it through. 

Exactly my point.

No tattoo is really permanent, its just whether you want scarring or not when you decide you want it gone.

It seems dumb because its really fake bravado. Faux self destructive rock and roll for people who want to (metaphorical) face paint and seem 'edgy' and 'alternative'. (not the artwork but the idea that a permanent tattoo means more than a temp or an airbrush)

Why is it that a 3 year temporary tattoo would be seen as any worse than the same ink on a permanent tattoo? because its not really about the art but about the ego. You could get the 3 year tattoo redone every 3 years till death, its just as permanent because you've made it permanent, an undying commitment to the art and what it represents.

Its as dumb as marriage. The idea that somehow its unfavorable or cowardly to accept that people change over time, and you might want to change your life and have something different. Divorce and tattoo removal scars are the same gross monument to this immature obsession with fake permanency.

How many people have covered up tattoos of ex-lovers names is a fucking beauteous example of this.

Is saying, "I will be the same person I am now for the rest of my life" meant to be a good thing?

it seems a weird attempt to inject some artificial importance. its not enough that you have artwork, its gotta be 'permanent'. its not enough that you're in love, its got to be 'permanent'. (the unmentioned subtext that if you actually changed your mind later on you'd just get a divorce or ink removal)

The only permanency of marriage is every day you wake up and decide you still want to be with this person. The only permanency of a tattoo is every day you wake up and decide you still want it on your arm.

In fact the commitment is greater with a temp-tattoo, because there'd be no bad reason to keep it. If you have a permanent one, then one day you might look down at it and think, that looks kind of sad, or that doesn't really represent who i am anymore, but you won't remove it cause it costs too much and would leave a scar.

Plus temp-perm ones look cooler cause they get redone more often so the ink stays crisper, more colorful etc.

Or maybe im just being a kiljoy, i dunno.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2010, 09:51:22 PM »

Fading is part of the process.  Its like having a little gray in your beard when they aren't shiny and crisp anymore.  

You are paying virtually no attention whatsoever to the mindset, which is the most important part of the whole thing.  

The traditional application of ink goes back a long ways, as you're aware.  Even with the modern electric gun, its still an old practice.  This modern temporary shit, I just wave my hand in dismissal.  I wouldn't even consider it.  

But if you think its better, great.  You have an opinion.  More exercise in non-applicable logic, just like everything else around here.  

-------
edit
-------

Also, since you're talking about scarring and other stuff further reinforcing little actual knowledge, look up "wrecking balm". 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 09:53:36 PM by Drifter »

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2010, 09:52:50 PM »

The only permanency of marriage is every day you wake up and decide you still want to be with this person.

:/  You need to make sure you communicate this to anyone you intend to marry cuz there WILL be many days you don't feel that way and your partner just might be the sort to think the difference between a live in boy/girlfriend and a husband/wife is that married people stay together through times like that.  

If someone were to marry me with your attitude about marriage I would feel I had a legitimate fraud complaint.

What's all this talk about the significance of tattooing?  It's different for everyone, nothing wrong with temporary ink, maybe it's not what YOU would do but so what.  If your interpretation of the purpose of tattooing excludes temporary tattoos then it clearly doesn't mean the same thing to you than it does to the person who got a temp. 

I don't see myself getting a temporary tattoo.  For me the tattoo would be meaningful and permanence would be part of it.  I'm glad I didn't get one in the military when everyone else was.  The permanence would be awful.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 10:02:52 PM by Ecolitan »

Bill Brasky

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2010, 10:30:14 PM »

The only permanency of marriage is every day you wake up and decide you still want to be with this person.

:/  You need to make sure you communicate this to anyone you intend to marry cuz there WILL be many days you don't feel that way and your partner just might be the sort to think the difference between a live in boy/girlfriend and a husband/wife is that married people stay together through times like that.  

If someone were to marry me with your attitude about marriage I would feel I had a legitimate fraud complaint.

What's all this talk about the significance of tattooing?  It's different for everyone, nothing wrong with temporary ink, maybe it's not what YOU would do but so what.  If your interpretation of the purpose of tattooing excludes temporary tattoos then it clearly doesn't mean the same thing to you than it does to the person who got a temp. 

I don't see myself getting a temporary tattoo.  For me the tattoo would be meaningful and permanence would be part of it.  I'm glad I didn't get one in the military when everyone else was.  The permanence would be awful.

Definition of tattoo -

A tattoo is a permanent marking made by inserting indelible ink into the layers of skin to change the pigment for decorative or other reasons.

So, temporary tattoo isn't a tattoo at all.  Its like calling a screw a nail.  Perhaps they (the industry) should begin calling them 'temptoos'. 

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2010, 10:41:34 PM »

tat·too 1    (tā-tōō')    
n.   pl. tat·toos
A signal sounded on a drum or bugle to summon soldiers or sailors to their quarters at night.

A display of military exercises offered as evening entertainment.

A continuous, even drumming or rapping.

v.   tat·tooed, tat·too·ing, tat·toos

v.   intr.
To beat out an even rhythm, as with the fingers.
v.   tr.
To beat or tap rhythmically on; rap or drum on.

[Alteration of Dutch taptoe, tap-shut (closing time for taverns), tattoo : tap, spigot, tap (from Middle Dutch tappe) + toe, shut (from Middle Dutch; see de- in Indo-European roots).]
tat·too 2    (tā-tōō')    
n.   pl. tat·toos
A permanent mark or design made on the skin by a process of pricking and ingraining an indelible pigment or by raising scars.

A design made on the skin with a temporary dye such as henna or ink.

in⋅del⋅i⋅ble  [in-del-uh-buhl]  Show IPA
Use indelible in a Sentence
–adjective
1.   making marks that cannot be erased, removed, or the like: indelible ink.
2.   that cannot be eliminated, forgotten, changed, or the like: the indelible memories of war; the indelible influence of a great teacher.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 10:43:26 PM by Ecolitan »

Bill Brasky

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2010, 11:42:04 PM »

Its good that you managed to find some mention of temporary markings, I'm glad the modern fags get to have a say in it.  Maybe tomorrow it'll include the practice of lightly dusting glitter across the cheekbones before going to a rave. 

You'll notice the word itself has a primary definition of making a rhythmic sound, which originates in Polynesian as tatau, the practice of whacking a sharp stick into warrior taptaptaptaptap and leaving him inked. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pe%27a

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2010, 12:14:08 AM »

What about UV tattoos? Nearly invisible.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

fatcat

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2010, 08:07:51 AM »

What's all this talk about the significance of tattooing?  It's different for everyone, nothing wrong with temporary ink, maybe it's not what YOU would do but so what.  If your interpretation of the purpose of tattooing excludes temporary tattoos then it clearly doesn't mean the same thing to you than it does to the person who got a temp.  

I don't see myself getting a temporary tattoo.  For me the tattoo would be meaningful and permanence would be part of it.  I'm glad I didn't get one in the military when everyone else was.  The permanence would be awful.

Definition of tattoo -

A tattoo is a permanent marking made by inserting indelible ink into the layers of skin to change the pigment for decorative or other reasons.

So, temporary tattoo isn't a tattoo at all.  Its like calling a screw a nail.  Perhaps they (the industry) should begin calling them 'temptoos'.  

My whole point is that its not really permanent, its just fake permanent, like marriage is fake permanent.

So all the bravado about it being permanent and therefore there being inherently meaningful go out the window, same as they would with a temp.

You can get em lasered, you can ink over em, you can flay your skin off if you want. (the only difference with a removable tattoo its way cheaper, quicker and doesnt scar)

imo its just people who don't want to get a temp (or a easily removable) tattoo cause if they tell people its not 'permanent' permanent, then it doesn't seem as cool.

Its good that you managed to find some mention of temporary markings, I'm glad the modern fags get to have a say in it.

QED

you're still painting yourself with ink no matter what type of tattoo you get, how faggy is that? oh wait, not. being 'faggy' is probably one of my least important concerns, right up there with "thinking too much"

(if i had gotten tattoos when i was 14 I could be covered in communist symbols, not something I'd want to carry for the rest of my life, so I'd have them removed anyway)

Its the exact same fucking thing that happens with marriage.

If you decide you want to stick with it, you can pretend like making it "permanent" actually mattered.
If you decide you want to get rid of it, non of the permanency actually matters anymore.

so its just whether you want to lie to yourself and tell yourself its permanent so you can rub your ego and get some bullshit accolades from other people.

You could say all the same things about the permanently stitching a hat on but no one does it because no one would buy into it, people would just think its fucking stupid and not cool.

If you have a cool hat, you don't get bonus points for having it permanent.

Deciding you're going to wear the same hat for the rest of your life is a bold move, its faggy to have a temporary hat that you don't have the balls to stick with.

"what if you want to take the hat off?"
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 08:12:21 AM by fatcat »

fatcat

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2010, 08:26:26 AM »

married people stay together through times like that. 

No they don't

Would you stay with someone for 40 years you didn't want to be with on the off chance one day decide you want to be with them? Of course not.

So you're not really talking about that, you're just talking about occasional doubts that happen in any relationship.

I didn't say leave a relationship the first time anything bad happens, I said the only thing that makes it permanent is every day you wake up and decide you still want to be with that person. The whole not leaving someone over some temporary issues is part of that.

Its implicit in both relationships (married and non married), its just one is immature and lies about it and one doesn't.

The only difference is whether you choose to lie to yourself and act like it really is "till death do us part", and not really "till you or i change as a person and decide I don't want to be with you anymore"

People in long term non married relationships stay together for the same reasons as married people, a continued love and willingness to be in a relationship.

Except theres an unfortunate 3rd case with married people where they stay together cause they actually buy into the marriage mythology and don't think they should divorce even if they don't love or care for the other person.

There was a time a lot of people lived like that. They'd get married at 20 and stay married til death even if they hated the person because it "wasn't done" to get divorced. Its fucking sad.

inane

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2010, 12:07:49 PM »

I have a few tattoos myself and plan on getting more. I just really like the idea there being something other than skin on my skin. Skin with pictures on it is much more interesting.
Astrology is as vacuous as the space it worships.
-Perry DeAngelis

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2010, 12:34:25 PM »

I don't know anyone who is married 40+ years and won't admit there was a period of years they wanted it to end.  And every one of those are glad it didn't end.  If you want to be 80 and looking back on life w/ someone you shared it with you will have had to weather those years.  Marriage is a contract to accomplish just that.  If that's not your intention you're not married in your head, just by law where it counts least.

AND yes, they do.  It's divorced people that don't.  EVERYONE who has been with someone a significant period of time loves and cares for them though perhaps not in a romantic way.  If everlasting romance is your goal it requires an endless stream of lovers and ends with you dying alone.

The only difference is whether you choose to lie to yourself and act like it really is "till death do us part", and not really "till you or i change as a person and decide I don't want to be with you anymore"

See, for some it's not a lie.  They're the happiest people I know.  I'm sad for you right now.  Not becuase you're not the marrying type but because you can't even fathom what that would be like so much you think that it does not exist or that people that have it are lying to themselves.  You must be very unhappy. 
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 12:41:33 PM by Ecolitan »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Mark regrets his tattoos

// ]]>

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 33 queries.