Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Mark re: LifeLock
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Mark re: LifeLock  (Read 10646 times)

SeanD

• View Profile
Mark re: LifeLock
« on: March 18, 2011, 01:49:52 AM »

The small buy from LifeLock may have something to do with the multi-million federal reserve note lawsuit they lost last year for not be able to actually provide the service they were advertising.  That included the CEO's Social Security number used in the TV ads being used to set up false identities.

FTL_Mark

• I'm a Moderator now, but I don't want to hear your whining!
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mark re: LifeLock
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 09:18:49 AM »

The small buy from LifeLock may have something to do with the multi-million federal reserve note lawsuit they lost last year for not be able to actually provide the service they were advertising.  That included the CEO's Social Security number used in the TV ads being used to set up false identities.

Sean

The buy wasn't small. The ad agency just didn't give us sufficient time to make the advertising work. They said 4 weeks and canceled after less than 2. They must get different sorts of results from other venues. Can you get me a link to what you are talking about?
No one has conjectured that I could quite possibly be a Libertarian posing as an Anarchist trying to pretend to still be a Libertarian; or what I like to call an Anarcho-Hustler.

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 09:29:07 AM »

JJ is doing a great job as host there!  His knowledge of the current news is impressive!

FTL_Mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 09:39:59 AM »

JJ is doing a great job as host there!  His knowledge of the current news is impressive!
Yeah, he saved our buts twice last night. Every show, I am more impressed with him. He has a few technique issues to work out, but hell, so do I and I have been doing this since '02. At least he has an excuse. I think he is a real talent.
No one has conjectured that I could quite possibly be a Libertarian posing as an Anarchist trying to pretend to still be a Libertarian; or what I like to call an Anarcho-Hustler.

Fred

• View Profile

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 09:49:17 AM »

http://bizsecurity.about.com/b/2010/03/17/lifelock-settles-lawsuit.htm

I particularly liked this bit of cognitive dissonance on the part of the attorney general (emphasis mine):

"In our free market economy, requiring all businesses to provide truthful and accurate information is necessary for a level-playing field among competitors."

Andy

• Verbose.
  • Ask me later.
    • View Profile
    • My Blawg
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 11:01:28 AM »

I particularly liked this bit of cognitive dissonance on the part of the attorney general (emphasis mine):

"In our free market economy, requiring all businesses to provide truthful and accurate information is necessary for a level-playing field among competitors."

What's wrong with that?

SeanD

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 12:56:28 PM »

Mark, sorry I mis-spoke.  I meant small response.  I didn't mean to sound as if I was if I was trying to bad mouth either you or Life lock.  It was more as a heads up informing post.

Since a link was provided about the settlement last year this is a link to the initial lawsuit.:http://redtape.msnbc.com/2008/02/experian-sues-l.html

Now they may well have improved their service.  But to ignore the lawsuit like it never happened will make some leery of dealing with them.  I do agree however that the ad campaign needs more time and that is BY FAR the largest reason for a small response.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 04:26:50 PM »

What's wrong with that?

You're kidding, right?  

1) There isn't a free market.  It's a highly-coerced market.
2) If it were a free market, there would be no force "requiring all businesses" to do anything at all.
3) "Level playing field" is keywords for "we control the horizontal; we control the vertical..."

Would have sounded like just another typical statement from a bureaucrat in a dress if not for the pretense of a "free market," though.

Andy

• Verbose.
  • Ask me later.
    • View Profile
    • My Blawg
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 10:45:57 PM »

I'll give you number one. But for all you know that could just be wishful thinking outloud on the part of this fellow.

2) If it were a free market, there would be no force "requiring all businesses" to do anything at all.

I don't see why. Anarchists don't have exclusive use of the term and a requirement not to defraud people seems pretty damn reasonable to me.

3) "Level playing field" is keywords for "we control the horizontal; we control the vertical..."

This statement means nothing to me.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 10:50:52 PM by Andy »

velojym

• Mostly Harmless
  • Existence is Theft!!! *drool*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 11:59:17 PM »

Free is free. Requiring businesses to do anything introduces regulation. You may have a free-ish market, but it wouldn't be free.
We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force.
-Ayn Rand

FTL_Mark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 11:59:32 PM »

Mark, sorry I mis-spoke.  I meant small response.  I didn't mean to sound as if I was if I was trying to bad mouth either you or Life lock.  It was more as a heads up informing post.

Since a link was provided about the settlement last year this is a link to the initial lawsuit.:http://redtape.msnbc.com/2008/02/experian-sues-l.html

Now they may well have improved their service.  But to ignore the lawsuit like it never happened will make some leery of dealing with them.  I do agree however that the ad campaign needs more time and that is BY FAR the largest reason for a small response.

I wasn't trying to sound like a jackass, I do that naturally. I was just completely ignorant of the lawsuit. I appreciate you giving me the heads up and Fred for linking it. I will read about it within the next 24 hours.

Andy

• Verbose.
  • Ask me later.
    • View Profile
    • My Blawg
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 02:57:50 AM »

Free is free. Requiring businesses to do anything introduces regulation. You may have a free-ish market, but it wouldn't be free.

Fine. Then a free market is stupid. If someone lies to you in order to make money of you that sure looks like aggression to me, and stopping that is a good thing regardless of who's doing it and how the obtain their own money.

Good doesn't somehow become bad because a bad person is doing it.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2011, 04:09:45 AM »

Fine. Then a free market is stupid. If someone lies to you in order to make money of you that sure looks like aggression to me, and stopping that is a good thing regardless of who's doing it and how the obtain their own money.

Good doesn't somehow become bad because a bad person is doing it.

The problem is statists can't seem to solve a problem without using monopoly violence.  There are other ways, and those other ways are in the free market.

velojym

• Mostly Harmless
  • Existence is Theft!!! *drool*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2011, 08:57:10 PM »

...and people still lie. The smart ones use the government to protect them from any repercussions of those lies.
We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force.
-Ayn Rand
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Mark re: LifeLock

// ]]>

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 31 queries.