Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Man refusing to pay tax is evicted and arrested
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Man refusing to pay tax is evicted and arrested  (Read 4117 times)

Madmanmike

• View Profile
Man refusing to pay tax is evicted and arrested
« on: February 05, 2010, 05:26:15 PM »

NORWALK -- When Scott Merrell opened the front door to his multimillion-dollar waterfront Wilson Point home Thursday afternoon, the folded paper stuffed into the jamb seesawed to the ground.

"I guess they've been here," Merrell said as he stooped over to pick up the Norwalk Housing Court eviction notice.

"If you do not move your possessions and personal effects on or before Feb. 2, 2010, at 8 a.m., I will return to move your possessions and personal effects out of the premises and put them on the street," the notice, signed by State Marshal Edmund Makowski, said.

Since Merrell's rundown Tudor home was sold at a tax auction 18 months ago because of a delinquent $110,000 city property tax bill, the Rowayton native and former California racetrack veterinarian has done little to forestall Tuesday's day of reckoning.

The cowboy-hat-wearing Merrell -- the self-pronounced "Rowayton Cowboy" -- announced last March that he would seek the Republican nomination for governor; he tried but failed to get on the ballot for the office in 2006. He unsuccessfully ran for mayor of Norwalk in 2009 and 2007 as an independent.

Merrell's 6 Woodland Road home, which was assessed by the city at $3.2 million, sold at a tax sale in June 2008 at a fraction of its estimated market value of $4.5 million.

Merrell had filed suit to challenge the city tax assessment, but did not try to redeem his home by paying the tax bill and interest on the $725,000 that Wilton resident Carmelo Tomas paid for the property.

On Jan. 21, 2009, Norwalk Tax Collector Lisa Biagiarelli filed the deed in Tomas' name. Last September, Merrell lost a short court skirmish when a Norwalk Housing Court judge referee ruled that Tomas was the rightful owner of the property Merrell bought for $785,000 in 1990.

Merrell filed an appeal, but it was dismissed in December when he did not pay a $6,500 per month use fee to stay in the home while the case wound its way through the courts. The money remaining from the tax sale -- about $615,000 -- is waiting to be picked up by Merrell at state Superior Court in Stamford.

Tomas has since taken up the fight against the property's assessed value by filing his own assessment appeal in Stamford court. Taxes on the house cost Tomas $59,000 per year, his lawyer Michael Lynch said.

On Thursday, winter was settling back in after a thaw, but that did not stop Merrell from leading an impromptu tour of properties in his multimillion-dollar neighborhood that he claimed were assessed much lower values than his.

From what could be seen inside his home, there were no signs that Merrell has made any preparation to leave his 4,000-square-foot house built in 1945 and ride quietly into the sunset.

While walking to an empty property on Shagbark Road, one house over from his own, Merrell said he did not know what he was going to do Tuesday -- a statement he repeated over and over after dropping hints that his eviction will end everything he has worked so hard to accomplish in his life.

"Chances are, I will probably have to go down with the ship. It is probably too late," Merrell said somewhat cryptically. "I don't know what I am going to do. They ruined my life," he added.

Merrell said in 2005 he left the California racetracks, where he had a successful veterinary business, after spending years paying lawyers to challenge his Norwalk taxes.

He said he came back home to become governor and enact what he called the Merrell Amendment, which would cap property tax increases at 1 percent of the property's cash value -- exactly like what California's Proposition 13 accomplished in 1978.

Merrell said he will not turn away from his home and his principles.

In a rambling six-page, single-spaced, typo-filled e-mail to city Corporation Counsel Robert Maslan a year ago, Merrell wrote, "My house is not for sale and will never be. How can the city of Norwalk sell my home without never buying it unless they are selling stolen property."

Merrell says that Norwalk has stolen his home and he is "trapped" because he is the only one willing to fight against the state revaluation system that decides what a property is worth.

"I worked seven days per week, 12 hours a day for 20 years and lived conservatively for what I have. The city of Norwalk thinks I am a tribute slave," he said.

At the end of Shagbark, Merrell pointed out a vacant waterfront lot that is about 25 percent larger than his whose owner, Merrell said, was paying 25 percent of the taxes Merrell pays for his property. He said the comparison was fair because his six-decade-old home is going to be a teardown.

On Valley Road, he pointed out a $10 million home with a tax assessment that is less than half of his, he said.

On Friday, Norwalk Assessor Michael Stewart said he could not vouch for the accuracy of Merrell's figures and did not want to comment on them.

"If there is one thing about real estate properties, no two properties are exactly the same," he said. "I feel badly when anyone gets evicted. ... We give every property owner the opportunity to appeal," he said.

Biagiarelli said the taxes she collects are based on the property value, not on the willingness or ability of property owners to pay them.

She said Merrell had numerous opportunities to pay his bill and retain his property.

"Our tax revenues provide services for 90,000 people. I believe the city of Norwalk does a lot of good for its taxpayers," she said.

Assistant Tax Collector Al Palumbo said, "We have been out of this whole process for 18 months and it is truly unfortunate it has played out this way. The sole purpose for us to have a tax sale is to collect revenue for the city. In no way is our intent to redistribute property to or from any individual."

Lynch said, "From our standpoint, we look forward to completing this process. Mr. Tomas can finally gain access to the property he purchased one year ago. It has been a very difficult process for everyone involved. And while I do not like to see anyone displaced from their residence, the law provides that that is what should happen in this case."

Merrell said Tuesday will be his "final humiliation" for returning home to try to change the tax laws in Connecticut -- a state he calls "the evil empire."

"The only thing I wish is that on Tuesday, people from `60 Minutes' show up and tell my side of the story and all of America what they do to people who own homes that look over the water."
http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/article/Rowayton-Cowboy-faces-Tuesday-eviction-345355.php

Madmanmike

• View Profile
Re: Man refusing to pay tax is evicted and arrested
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 05:42:29 PM »

Merrell refuses to leave Wilson Point home, is arrested
By John Nickerson, Staff Writer
Published: 12:12 a.m., Wednesday, February 3, 2010Comments (5)     
Larger | Smaller    Font
Printable Version    

Gallery

View Larger Items
Related Stories

Merrell ordered to pay court $6,500 a month09.01.2009 03:02 a.m.
Judge rules Scott Merrell's waterfront Norwalk home has rightful new owner09.17.2009 05:26 p.m.
'Rowayton Cowboy' faces Tuesday eviction02.01.2010 04:33 a.m.

NORWALK -- Calling himself a political prisoner, Scott Merrell threw his hands up like an Old West cowboy and insisted on being arrested during his eviction from his multimillion-dollar waterfront home Tuesday morning. He was then handcuffed after refusing to leave his home of nearly 20 years.

As if another point needed to be made in the bizarre episode, Merrell, wearing a black cowboy hat, threw out his hand to approaching officers just before his arrest and introduced himself as a candidate for governor.

Merrell, who ran unsuccessfully for Norwalk mayor in the last two elections and said last March he would seek the Republican nomination for governor this year, was charged with first-degree criminal trespass and held in lieu of $5,000 bond.

His rundown Tudor-style home was sold at a city tax auction 18 months ago for $725,000 because of a delinquent $110,000 city property tax bill.

Since then, the Rowayton native and former California racetrack veterinarian has been unable, or unwilling, to pay the overdue tax bill and save the 4,000-square-foot home, which sits on nearly 1 acre in exclusive Wilson Point.

Merrell, who bought the home in 1990 for $785,000, owned the property free and clear. City taxes on the property are $59,000 per year.

Refusing to call a bail bondsman, Merrell, who calls himself the Rowayton Cowboy, spent the rest of Tuesday in the Police Department jail and is scheduled for arraignment at state Superior Court on Wednesday.

While Merrell was walking a reporter around his neighborhood at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, pointing out how much less he thinks other property tax assessments are compared with his, two state marshals arrived at the house and, with the help of a locksmith, quickly opened his locked front door.

When he walked back up to the home with the reporter in tow and saw the front door open, he launched into a diatribe against Norwalk and state property tax policies as three news cameras rolled.

"They want to make a criminal out of me," Merrell said, his voice rising. "I am proving this is a police state. This is a police action."

Merrell said he was being made a "sacrificial lamb" for standing up for all property owners who could not take on the city over taxes.

During the eviction, a man drove into the driveway across the street from Merrell's home, but he declined comment on what was happening.

Police Chief Harry Rilling rolled up in a car to watch the high-profile eviction; he said Merrell had many opportunities to get his home back.

"It is a sad situation, but he was evicted, and he is now trespassing on property that isn't his. It is a very sad situation," Rilling said.

Merrell accused the marshal of breaking and entering his home; he also called the eviction an illegal search and seizure. He insisted he filed a court motion Monday that would bar the eviction from going forward.

Although he filed a motion to quash the eviction Monday, Norwalk Housing Court Clerk George Papallo said the motion would be sent to Judge Referee Jack Groggins for action at a later date. Papallo said Merrell filed the wrong motion to stop the eviction.

"You are destroying the American dream that I worked seven days a week and 12 hours a day for," said Merrell, who insisted that his property taxes were paid up to 2016.

At an earlier court hearing, Groggins said he did not believe Merrell's argument the city agreed not to charge him taxes for the next six years.

Walking up the driveway Tuesday morning, State Marshal Edmund Makowski told Merrell, "If you don't leave the property, you will be arrested." Makowski said he asked police to accompany him.

"All right, arrest me then. " I want to be arrested for being a homeowner. " They want to force me out to steal my property so they can sell it to a developer," Merrell said as police began walking up the driveway.

Although the four officers talked to Merrell and tried to get him off the property, Merrell kept telling them to arrest him.

After he was taken away in a squad car, five or six workers came walking up the street with bundles of boxes over their shoulders and began emptying out the house.

Makowski said he expected Merrell's possessions to be moved out by Tuesday. After going into the house, Makowski called the view of Long Island Sound "breathtaking."

As the possessions were packed up, the city Health Department put them into a large truck and will store them for 15 days, when they will be put up for auction.

Norwalk Tax Collector Lisa Biagiarelli, who sold Merrell's property in the July 19, 2008, tax sale, said every property owner has to pay their taxes.

"There is a very simple answer: If you really and truly do not want to pay another dime in property taxes, don't own any taxable property," she said. "It is unusual that a homeowner or property owner would allow their property to be lost through a tax sale because the vast majority, in my experience of 25 years, has paid the tax bill prior to the sale in order to avoid sale or redeemed it within the six-month period.

"In this case, it was a deliberate decision on his part not to redeem the property."

She said Merrell could have negated the city's claim on his property by paying the back taxes and interest on the $725,000 bid on his property by Wilton resident Carmelo Tomas, who is now the home's owner. Biagiarelli said she treated Merrell just like any other taxpayer and even gave him more attention by going to his home and talking to him about how he could get the property back.

http://www.newstimes.com/local/article/Merrell-refuses-to-leave-Wilson-Point-home-is-348092.php

ForumTroll

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 07:58:27 PM »

Yep.

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 09:50:03 PM »

California sucks.

[youtube=570,350]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hQKmGdBHiOw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hQKmGdBHiOw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 09:51:41 PM by Alex Libman »

fatcat

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 08:57:33 PM »

[youtube=425,350]<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z4gpjt9Guhc&hl=en_GB&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z4gpjt9Guhc&hl=en_GB&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>[/youtube]

BIZARRO WORLD!!!!!

But seriously, the negger is crafty as fuck. Much respect to anyone who can bank that much cash, power and fame with dubious talents.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 08:02:40 AM »

[youtube=425,350]<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z4gpjt9Guhc&hl=en_GB&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z4gpjt9Guhc&hl=en_GB&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>[/youtube]

BIZARRO WORLD!!!!!

But seriously, the negger is crafty as fuck. Much respect to anyone who can bank that much cash, power and fame with dubious talents.
He is really smart, and I think he does have our best interests at heart.  But I think that he's failed because of the core problem with politics.  Politics suck.  He started off his governorship with good stuff.  Legitimate tax cuts/government cuts.  They all failed.  So he jumped on the Democratic Party bandwagon and is now just as bad as any other sicko politician.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 10:32:04 AM »

California sucks.

[youtube=570,350]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hQKmGdBHiOw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hQKmGdBHiOw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Isn't this about CT or am I missing something?  It seems that the guy is missing something too.  I find it hard to believe that if he really cared about freedom as much as he claims, that he doesn't live in NH.
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 12:31:52 PM »

Whoopsy daisy.  It is Norwalk, Connecticut - not Norwalk, California (a somewhat larger suburb of Los Angeles).  I got confused by the multiple appearances of the word California in that article talking about the man's past, and I missed the reference to Connecticut at the very end of the article.  My bad.

So, yeah, Connecticut sucks too.  Maybe slightly less than California though.  Let's just say that it's a well-balanced sucking contest that could power a million wind farms throughout the less sucky states in between!  :lol:

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 03:02:54 PM »

Was he refusing to pay ALL taxes on the property for a couple of years, or just paying a lower amount for 10-20 years, while filing appeals about the amount each year, and it added up to $110k over time?
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 04:34:49 PM »

Property tax evaluations have been used as a political tool for a very long time.  Similar properties will have wildly different values attached to them and if you digg down sometimes you find out it isn't the property but who owns the property.  Some get sweetheart deals and political enemies get the shaft.  That is one angle of this story which wasn't fully explored.  I think some people are going to take up the Russian slash and burn philosophy in these sorts of situations and destroy the property to the point that it is uninhabitable.  This is a very real possiblility especially if the property tax victim feels they have nothing else to lose.  Or they will go postal like the Tractor tank guy of a few years back. 

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 07:23:50 PM »

This is a very real possiblility especially if the property tax victim feels they have nothing else to lose.  Or they will go postal like the Tractor tank guy of a few years back. 

Yeah, but this guy lived in CT so he was likely a big supporter of high taxes.  Plus, he lived in a multi-million dollar house.  He clearly could have sold his house for millions.
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

Bill Brasky

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 11:56:38 PM »

Yeah, but this guy lived in CT so he was likely a big supporter of high taxes. 

Your generalities are worse than most racists. 

Osborne

• Worshipful Grand Conspirator
    • View Profile
    • Sakal/CAI
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 04:03:32 AM »

I thought if people didn't pay property taxes, we would all become free. Hmmmm.

ForumTroll

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 12:59:29 PM »

Who would they pay to enforce your eviction from your freshly stolen property if everyone did it?

Nah, they'd rather pay the protection money cuz something bad might happen if they don't.

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 01:17:42 PM »

It would take around 50% of the property tax payers to stop paying before it would have an effect. I think the guys on the show say 10%, but that would just leave the funding of the other 90% to be used to go after the 10% that stopped, so that makes no sense to me. No way thats gonna happen anytime soon considering the large majority of the sheeple dont even realize they have the key to free themselves.

No, its gonna take things getting MUCH worse before they even begin to get better.
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Man refusing to pay tax is evicted and arrested

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 33 queries.