Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Loving more of Mark.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Loving more of Mark.  (Read 5079 times)

Pizzly

• View Profile
Loving more of Mark.
« on: August 22, 2011, 01:55:48 AM »

Don't want to cause offense, but I'm loving the opportunity to hear more Mark talking with Ian in jail. Extremist moralizing voluntarists tend to crowd out some more pragmatic, more mainstream political beliefs so it's nice to hear some more reason on the show.
Peace isn't loving your neighbor, peace is simply not killing them.

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
Re: Loving more of Mark.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 06:37:35 AM »

This.

It's not that Mark is "political"... it's that he's frankly more rational.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 10:59:20 AM »

I've noticed that people holding specific political views frequently refer to theirs as "rational" and others' as "irrational."  I've come to like Penn Jillette's way of addressing differences in points of view.  "I've got this [insert self-affacing word] way of looking at it: [then out comes the libertarian gospel]."

notice->noticed
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 05:12:19 PM by What's the frequency, Kenneth? »

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 01:18:25 PM »

Part of what I mean by "rational" is "a mature attitude, one that is tolerant about other points of view"

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 05:11:30 PM »

Mark is indeed pragmatic. And I hope Marks hobby of letting callers and childless hosts hang themselves keeps up. But especially after last nights show I realize that Ian really is the principled heart and soul of the FTL/ LRN/ FreeKeane world. I see FTL kinda turning more commercial as Ian is jailed. Although I like the changes, I don't want it to go to far.

LTKoblinsky

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 08:20:44 PM »

I'm enjoying it as well...I'm hearing more callers and more topics I'm interested in.

My wife's new site. Covers fashion, motherhood, our journey to NH, and soon activism.

Sgt Jarhead

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 06:11:15 AM »

I agree!  I think Mark has a much better grasp on reality that Ian does.  I like Ian, but sometimes he goes overboard.

On a side note, has anyone noticed that the amount of callers that "dropped off the line during the break" has gone way down?  I think Ian hangs up on people.  Mark seems to give callers a little more time to discuss a topic before giving his response, and he rarely "looses" a caller during the break.  People notice!

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 06:54:59 AM »

I think Ian hangs up on people.
I doubt that.
When it comes to radio & the show, Ian is a very, very professional guy.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 09:33:42 AM »

I think Ian hangs up on people.
I doubt that.
When it comes to radio & the show, Ian is a very, very professional guy.

He does, sometimes, but I don't think he does it deceptively, as suggested.  I've never seen Ian as consciously deceptive.  He does, however, drop callers (even regular callers, even callers he agrees with) amid sentence from time to time.  Mark, on the other hand, seems overly cautious about that and ends up getting interrupted by breaks more often.

Peppermint Pig

• Libertarian Adept
  • FTL Creative Team
  • This is where the fish lives.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 10:31:52 AM »

I've noticed that people holding specific political views frequently refer to theirs as "rational" and others' as "irrational."  I've come to like Penn Jillette's way of addressing differences in points of view.  "I've got this [insert self-affacing word] way of looking at it: [then out comes the libertarian gospel]."

notice->noticed

Or the Bullshit method:

Vigilance towards Liberty, in perpetuity!

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 10:44:43 AM »

notice->noticed

Or the Bullshit method:

Yes, I think I understand and basically agree with your point.  However, "this asshole" generally refers to a con artist or dedicated fascist, not merely someone with an opposing point of view.  Nevertheless, apparently like you, I cringe a little bit at that show's deliberate crudeness.  While you're surely correct to point it out, I had been thinking of Penn's radio show, on which he was more persuasive than critical.

Peppermint Pig

• Libertarian Adept
  • FTL Creative Team
  • This is where the fish lives.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 11:21:34 AM »

notice->noticed

Or the Bullshit method:

Yes, I think I understand and basically agree with your point.  However, "this asshole" generally refers to a con artist or dedicated fascist, not merely someone with an opposing point of view.  Nevertheless, apparently like you, I cringe a little bit at that show's deliberate crudeness.  While you're surely correct to point it out, I had been thinking of Penn's radio show, on which he was more persuasive than critical.

Agreed. Of course they're thinking about what they say before they say it. In a scripted show, they can calculate their responses for entertainment purposes and come up with some very cringe-worthy moments, but in all instances they appear mindful about factual accuracy, credibility, and consideration of their statements and the people who are listening.

Vigilance towards Liberty, in perpetuity!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Loving more of Mark.

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.