Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Less Stephanie, Please
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: Less Stephanie, Please  (Read 149907 times)

Nik from Illinois

• FTL AMPlifier Gold
    • View Profile
Re: Less Stephanie, Please
« Reply #315 on: January 17, 2012, 01:56:03 AM »

Does anyone else agree with Stephanie that the TSA searching afros (spelling?) is racist?

No.

Thats a ridiculous statement.

Seems to me, its kinda racist to assume blacks are the only people with afros.
I heard David Duchovny say that some people of Jewish descent have what's called an "isro" (pronounced like the "is" in "Israel").

Tom Foppiano

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 17, 2012, 02:54:19 AM »

eeeooooohhhhhh....Good point.

My hair, in fact, is super short because it gets puffy when long.
It might not be very big around, but it sure is short!

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 17, 2012, 08:31:24 AM »

Does anyone else agree with Stephanie that the TSA searching afros (spelling?) is racist?

No.

I heard David Duchovny say that some people of Jewish descent have what's called an "isro" (pronounced like the "is" in "Israel").

I've always heard it referred to as a jewfro.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 17, 2012, 08:56:50 AM »

I checked downloads of all of the January FTL podcasts. The Sunday shows where in the top 54% percentile. I will check back farther, but my initial findings show that Sunday shows with Stephanie and me are as popular as the regular show and 20+% more so than the old Sunday show format.

Of course it is more popular with YOU making up 1/2 of the show and not a bunch of guys acting immature or girls giggling the entire time.

...and at least 1/4 of the time, included Stephanie...

SonicThePorcupine

• The gloves are on, time to check your prostate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 17, 2012, 09:03:13 AM »

Even if people didn't like Stephanie and she caused the ratings to go down, Mark isn't going to have "the talk" with Stephanie or kick her off.
So we can bitch about it all day but she isn't leaving.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 17, 2012, 11:10:31 AM »

Even if people didn't like Stephanie and she caused the ratings to go down, Mark isn't going to have "the talk" with Stephanie or kick her off.
She doesn't have to leave.  I listened to the last Sunday show and thought it was pretty decent, not nearly as good as the Monday show though.  Like I said before, she probably has interesting things to talk about, but before all she would talk about is how she's oppressed and objectified or whatever.  I really would like to hear her talk more about her medical school experiences, but she doesn't seem like she's interested in relating that stuff to the show very often.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 17, 2012, 07:01:15 PM »

I checked downloads of all of the January FTL podcasts. The Sunday shows where in the top 54% percentile. I will check back farther, but my initial findings show that Sunday shows with Stephanie and me are as popular as the regular show and 20+% more so than the old Sunday show format.

Of course it is more popular with YOU making up 1/2 of the show and not a bunch of guys acting immature or girls giggling the entire time.

Aahhh Watson.. but I do believe the real cause in elevated downloads is a direct result of Ian's absence. Elementree!

No.

Geez. If that can be construed as "racism" then goddammit anything could be!

...oh wait...
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Tom Foppiano

• View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 17, 2012, 10:24:55 PM »

The Sherlock Holmes thing was funny.
It might not be very big around, but it sure is short!

SeriousSplinters

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 18, 2012, 10:50:42 AM »

Just read this thread. I found it pathetic how joe boner tried to make it about mysoginy, when clearly it had nothing to do with that. Ask yourself joe, WHY do you try to provoke people?

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #324 on: January 18, 2012, 11:14:04 AM »

I agree with you that massages have nothing to do with this thread, but I dont see how it really hurts anything to talk about them here.

I happen to like getting massages.

I actually like em quite a bit.

Specially on mah balls.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 11:32:52 AM by quickmike »
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

SeriousSplinters

• View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 18, 2012, 11:43:19 AM »

How well did you know kongfish?

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #326 on: January 18, 2012, 11:54:38 AM »

How well did you know kongfish?

Very well.

Till he got distemper and I had to put him down.

He's buried out back.

Right next to Tony, my Chinchilla.
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

Wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 18, 2012, 01:00:34 PM »

+1 to Stephanie for finally getting the Bitcoin bug.

(I'm behind on my FTL podcasts, just ran across this. I actually enjoy listening to her when she's being technical, and the idea of her accepting bitcoins as a doctor is a great one.)

"Buy low, sell high." Are YOU stocking up on silver yet?

FTL_Mark

• I'm a Moderator now, but I don't want to hear your whining!
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 19, 2012, 12:50:35 AM »

You don't think that ratings matter to me? That is just incorrect. I care about the same two things that management of any radio company cares about: ratings and revenue.

Revenue is not as relevant, since it is too soon to for expectations and there is nothing for us to compare it too. We are getting revenue off of Sunday now, when before it existed we did not. The Sunday show is revenue positive and has been since the first month. win.

Ratings are largely unavailable for Free Talk Live generally. The best gauge we have is downloads. Downloads of the Sunday show have increased in comparison to the other Sunday shows, my guess as to why is professionalism. If any other of the hosts had their own Sunday, they would likely see increased downloads as their professionalism increased. BUT the Sunday show is getting good downloads vs the regular show TOO. Imagine that for a moment. The regular show has nearly 10 years of continuity!

At this moment the 1-1-12 show is 5th; 1-8-12 6th; and 1-15-12 is 10th in the list of downloaded January shows. Newer podcasts have a disadvantage since they have not had the time to get the downloads that the older ones. These are impressive numbers to me.

I find some of Stephanie's opinions grumble-worthy, but opinions are the most important thing a talk show host can have. She has them, she jumps in with them and she isn't afraid to express them. I have worked with many co-hosts that can't or won't stand up for their opinions resulting in an echo-chamber and a stifling of thought.

I am not keeping Stephanie because I am hard-headed, I am keeping Stephanie because she does what she is supposed to do; she has an opinion, her voice contrasts with mine, she gets ratings and by all accounts should be good for revenue.
No one has conjectured that I could quite possibly be a Libertarian posing as an Anarchist trying to pretend to still be a Libertarian; or what I like to call an Anarcho-Hustler.

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 19, 2012, 07:58:33 AM »

Guess nobody has noticed. Mark is probably too polite to mention it, but the Sunday show is growing in both stations and advertisers. As much as I like to bust on Stephanie, she and Mark are doing well. This is good for all of us. Mark would be a damn fool to get rid of her.
Besides on the last show Stephanie was the only reasonable voice on the subject of suicide. Mark must of had a cola or something.
Guess I was wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 29   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Less Stephanie, Please

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 32 queries.