Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Less Stephanie, Please
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: Less Stephanie, Please  (Read 149469 times)

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
Re: Less Stephanie, Please
« Reply #270 on: January 11, 2012, 06:35:57 PM »

No. Mark doesn't love you. He just wants you to listen to his ads and give him money.

Yeah, right.

I suppose you're gonna say theres no Santa Claus too.
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #271 on: January 11, 2012, 07:05:23 PM »

So has Stephanie or FTL responded to market demands?

Are you confusing individuals complaining on a website with the market? What exactly are the market demands you speak of? Do you have evidence of her listenership dropping statistically? I know several people have chosen not to listen but do you know that it's statistically significant and that it hasn't been offset perhaps by gains in listeners?

That would be a market indicator.

TL:DR version: YOU are not "the market". The market is lots of people's choices en masse having a financial impact.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 07:12:07 PM by Dalebert »

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 11, 2012, 09:16:35 PM »

So has Stephanie or FTL responded to market demands?

Are you confusing individuals complaining on a website with the market? What exactly are the market demands you speak of? Do you have evidence of her listenership dropping statistically? I know several people have chosen not to listen but do you know that it's statistically significant and that it hasn't been offset perhaps by gains in listeners?

That would be a market indicator.

TL:DR version: YOU are not "the market". The market is lots of people's choices en masse having a financial impact.
So now you are insulting me when I was simply asking if all of the Sunday show is still about her bitching and moaning about evil men.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #273 on: January 11, 2012, 09:51:27 PM »

So now you are insulting me when I was simply asking if all of the Sunday show is still about her bitching and moaning about evil men.

Instead of pretending to be all offended, you could answer my questions--provide evidence for this claim of "market demands", thereby proving that the so-called insults are unwarranted.

What exactly are the market demands you speak of? Do you have evidence of her listenership dropping statistically? I know several people have chosen not to listen but do you know that it's statistically significant and that it hasn't been offset perhaps by gains in listeners?

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 11, 2012, 09:55:02 PM »

Instead of pretending to be all offended, you could answer my questions--provide evidence for this claim of "market demands", thereby proving that the so-called insults are unwarranted.

What exactly are the market demands you speak of? Do you have evidence of her listenership dropping statistically? I know several people have chosen not to listen but do you know that it's statistically significant and that it hasn't been offset perhaps by gains in listeners?

No thanks.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Turd Ferguson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 11, 2012, 10:22:46 PM »

I know several people have chosen not to listen but do you know that it's statistically significant and that it hasn't been offset perhaps by gains in listeners?

My guess is that even if it could be proven without any doubt that there was a net loss in listeners, it wouldn't make a difference as far as there being more stephanie, or less stephanie on the show.

Its a hunch.

SonicThePorcupine

• The gloves are on, time to check your prostate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 12, 2012, 03:47:49 AM »

My guess is that even if it could be proven without any doubt that there was a net loss in listeners, it wouldn't make a difference as far as there being more stephanie, or less stephanie on the show.
Ding ding ding!

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #277 on: January 12, 2012, 11:08:16 AM »

So no evidence then. FWIW, I'm honestly curious to know but it will probably require Ian or Mark answering that question.

Turd Ferguson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 12, 2012, 11:25:39 AM »

So no evidence then.

I think you misunderstand me. Im not claiming that listenership is down because of her. In fact, I think the argument can be made that it went up because of her. The same way half the people that listen to Rush Limbaugh cant stand the guy, yet cant stop listening to the train-wreck that the guy is. Im just saying that even if that WERE the case that it went down, it probably wouldn't matter anyway as far as her being given less or more time on the show.

I dont hate Steph, or even dislike her. I just find her annoying sometimes. Not annoying in a finger nails across a chalkboard kinda way, but more in a NPR chick kinda way.

Just an opinion.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #279 on: January 12, 2012, 11:43:44 AM »

I hear you. I really do. But do you see how a couple ppl made an extraordinary claim and I keep trying to stay focused on that and how this is all kind of dodging the fact that there's nothing to back this claim up? The subject is getting changed to a bunch of other things than the extraordinary claim for which there is conveniently no evidence. It's kind of a political tactic instead of an honest discussion.

Turd Ferguson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 12, 2012, 11:53:16 AM »

It's kind of a political tactic instead of an honest discussion.

Well, that happens sometimes when you are dealing with passionate opinion.

Cant be helped.

Just ask Steph.........  :P

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 12, 2012, 12:22:04 PM »

So no evidence then. FWIW, I'm honestly curious to know but it will probably require Ian or Mark answering that question.

The confusion here may be based on the reality that QuickMike is not SamGunn.

I hear you. I really do. But do you see how a couple ppl made an extraordinary claim and I keep trying to stay focused on that and how this is all kind of dodging the fact that there's nothing to back this claim up? The subject is getting changed to a bunch of other things than the extraordinary claim for which there is conveniently no evidence. It's kind of a political tactic instead of an honest discussion.

I believe it was exactly one person who said one thing that set you off.  I also suggest responding to THAT person.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #282 on: January 12, 2012, 12:23:49 PM »

I believe it was exactly one person who said one thing that set you off.  I also suggest responding to THAT person.

Nope. Ur right. I scrolled up.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #283 on: January 12, 2012, 12:37:32 PM »

http://www.porctherapy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Porc-Therapy-2012-01-06.mp3
In this episode of Porc Therapy Stephanie and Dale discuss BDSM in a extra end thingy. I think they come off as collectivising and judgmental.
My take:
1. A perceived kink doesn't indicate childhood trauma every time.
2. It doesn't indicate some deep, need-to-be-solved problem either.

1. Conceded. FWIW, I believe I repeatedly pointed out that I was just contemplating things in a new light based on extensive negative personal experiences with people into BDSM and that I had not come to conclusions about it, and most certainly nothing scientific or study-related. In fact, on listening to the show afterward, it got a bit redundant. I was so eager to put disclaimers on practically everything I said about my very personal experience.

2. I honestly don't know and I said as much on the show. I just expressed myself honestly about having overwhelmingly negative anecdotal experiences that left me more guarded and, using a BDSM term, my limits shrank quite a bit as to what I'm willing to experiment with. Will they expand some day? Maybe. I'm only 43 years old. Maybe I'll have some BDSM experience (within my newly restricted limits) that feels really positive and healthy for both partners and I'll feel like pushing my boundaries outward again.

I do apologize for the extent to which I failed to convey that I'm no expert and that my personal experience should not be interpreted as any sort of universal judgment on BDSM. I'm not going to apologize for being honest about my personal experience.

I am wide open to a dialogue with people who are more experienced and have a more positive take on it. I would, however, like it to get past complaining that I don't just immediately say what people want to hear. It's like people want me to talk like an expert when I very clearly expressed right off the bat that I'm not one.

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 12, 2012, 02:13:45 PM »

I believe you.
For what it is worth, I don't do the BDSM stuff at all, actually said straight up "no" to some pretty hot women. Just sounded a bit weird when you guys indicated something must be wrong with many who like that sort of thing, especially when many a square would think something must have messed up someone who was gay or bi.
Living in Europe so long has made me not even blink at almost any lifestyle. Having dildo stores that resemble Kmart and TV shows that take pretty much all the mystery out of even the strangest stuff have me kind of just go "meh" to pretty much anything.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 29   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Less Stephanie, Please

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 32 queries.