Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Less Stephanie, Please
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: Less Stephanie, Please  (Read 149973 times)

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
Re: Less Stephanie, Please
« Reply #135 on: November 11, 2011, 01:58:40 PM »

I have a close friend who went through a bad break up with a guy and became a lesbian for about a year until she met another "Mr. Right" and now she's straight again.

Women seem far less hardwired than men. I don't know how much of this is nature (they were born that way, haha) vs. how much more accepting society is of female-on-female affection than male-on-male, therefore it's far less taboo. I suspect there's a lot of the latter. Maybe men will tend to be more bisexual and it will actually be a choice for many more men once society gets over the taboo, and it will. It's just a matter of time. I don't know though. This is just speculation. I don't know how much is nature vs. nurture.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #136 on: November 11, 2011, 02:05:28 PM »

Gay is of course a choice.  So is everything else in life.  Suggesting that it isn't is admitting guilt that what you are doing is wrong but that you aren't at fault because it isn't a choice.

There are lots of things I do that are definitely choices that I don't feel guilty about, and yet they're far more taboo than gay buttsecks, but they don't harm anyone or impede their choices. Did you listen to the fetish episode of FTL? You have a bizarre notion of "wrong". Mine's based on harm.

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 11, 2011, 02:07:03 PM »

I have a close friend who went through a bad break up with a guy and became a lesbian for about a year until she met another "Mr. Right" and now she's straight again.

Women seem far less hardwired than men. I don't know how much of this is nature (they were born that way, haha) vs. how much more accepting society is of female-on-female affection than male-on-male, therefore it's far less taboo. I suspect there's a lot of the latter. Maybe men will tend to be more bisexual and it will actually be a choice for many more men once society gets over the taboo, and it will. It's just a matter of time. I don't know though. This is just speculation. I don't know how much is nature vs. nurture.
Why do you hate gays Dale?

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 11, 2011, 03:37:11 PM »

Gay is of course a choice.  So is everything else in life.  Suggesting that it isn't is admitting guilt that what you are doing is wrong but that you aren't at fault because it isn't a choice.

There are lots of things I do that are definitely choices that I don't feel guilty about, and yet they're far more taboo than gay buttsecks, but they don't harm anyone or impede their choices. Did you listen to the fetish episode of FTL? You have a bizarre notion of "wrong". Mine's based on harm.

There are a lot of things one can do that are "wrong" but don't harm anyone.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 11, 2011, 04:01:50 PM »

:P Me and the wife have been doing a whole lotta wrong lately. And it is pretty awesome.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #140 on: November 11, 2011, 05:06:45 PM »

That's why I was curious how you derive the meaning of "wrong" if it has nothing to do with causing harm, not even to one's self. I mean, right and wrong are fairly arbitrary notions to begin with, but how arbitrary they are seems to depend on how consistent you are in figuring them out.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 11, 2011, 06:18:57 PM »

Maybe it has to do with that scale somebody brought up, and where you fall on that scale can color your view of whether "you're just born that way" or "it was a choice."  For example, I'm exactly 0% homosexual, from what I can tell, but some other guy might be perhaps 30%.  As far as I'm concerned, I'm that way.  The guy who's 30% (and the same place I heard this, apparently women's numbers tend to track higher, like "more bi") gets to choose, and both choices have some merit that can be weighed (aesthetically, I guess.)  For me, I don't really see it as a choice.  A guy who's "100% homosexual" doesn't really see any choice either.  Don't know if that makes sense, exactly, but it's how I imagine it.

That's why I was curious how you derive the meaning of "wrong" if it has nothing to do with causing harm, not even to one's self. I mean, right and wrong are fairly arbitrary notions to begin with, but how arbitrary they are seems to depend on how consistent you are in figuring them out.

I follow you, for the most part.  When my ideas of right and wrong were handed down to me from someone else, there were more arbitrary, and didn't necessarily have anything to do with hurting anyone, using force, threat of force, fraud, etc.  They were a matter of someone else's "law" (not necessarily legislation.)  Now, I equate wrong, so far as I can tell, with nothing other than force, threat of force, or fraud.  Isn't this sorta what the whole NAP business is about--a new basis for ethics?  

People who've read enough Ayn Rand, I'd think, would be somewhat familiar with the idea of morals being exactly equal to right and wrong, and being defined as what's good for the human, both as a person and as a species.  Of course the NAP isn't exactly where she takes it, but the idea that there's a fundamental principle of write and wrong seems necessary to principled libertarians and objectivists, etc.

Sorry if that was sorta scattershot.

Then again...on the NAP and objectivist ethics, you could say something both true and hurtful to someone, and it seems like it could be confused with "wrong," or at least the sort of thing one "shouldn't do."  Clearly, there are things that are not immoral according to those ethics systems could be "really shitty" at best.  Makes you wonder if "being an asshole" is "wrong."
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 06:24:59 PM by What's the frequency, Kenneth? »

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 11, 2011, 06:38:29 PM »

A friend of mine has a son in grade school. The kid is gifted musically and attends an art school. No one will be surprised in a few more years if he announces he is gay - he already has ultra-feminine mannerisms, which may not be a defining factor but I think it's a realistic indicator. I figure it's his natural condition, he was born that way.

But like the pilot fellow said, I also think it can be a choice for some people.

What if a person is simply a pervert who gets off on all sorts of sex? I don't mean bisexual, I mean flat out perverted. Would that person be considered gay for fucking another fella?
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 12, 2011, 04:08:00 AM »

I try and gag my way through a thread and all the others in the peanut gallery turn the fucking conversation intelligent and serious and I come out looking like a jackass. :shock:

Fine. I think someone who lives by the NAP tends to separate sex and love. Someone could have sexual relations with someone of the same sex in the heat of a moment or for enough cash and still be straight generally.

I mean shit, I'd be gay for a hell of a lot less then 10m (50x200g). And I am pretty sure I would still be straight afterword.
So if you you win the lotto and want some hetero ass, lets talk.

Kelvin

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 12, 2011, 12:54:17 PM »

OK, to the issue of less Stephanie-

Come on, she's usually only on once a week.  And I value her medical knowledge, her soothing voice, and the extra dimension she brings to the discussion.

-K
==============================
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds."

-Samuel Adams

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 12, 2011, 01:00:03 PM »

Come on, she's usually only on once a week.  And I value her medical knowledge, her soothing voice, and the extra dimension she brings to the discussion.

-K

She was on three nights straight.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #146 on: November 12, 2011, 01:24:42 PM »

I think that's the 7th sign of the apocalypse!

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #147 on: November 12, 2011, 01:47:49 PM »

-K

So she was gay on the other nights?
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #148 on: November 12, 2011, 02:29:56 PM »

So she was gay on the other nights?

Based on where she seems to fall on the Kinsey Scale, that seems about right.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 12, 2011, 09:54:46 PM »

I think that's the 7th sign of the apocalypse!

It was in response to the claim that she's only on once a week.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 29   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Less Stephanie, Please

// ]]>

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 32 queries.