Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Law of Attraction
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Law of Attraction  (Read 90902 times)

ljossberir

• View Profile
Re: Law of Attraction
« Reply #255 on: February 08, 2009, 02:02:00 AM »

I want to understand how LOA is different than prayer and how is the universe any different than god? When you take it to its logical conclusion thats what we end up with. "I've got a god (universe) who answers all my prayers (thoughts)"

In a way, this is much more faith-based and abstract then the average Christian/Muslim/Jew, because the average Christian/Muslim/Jew doesn't actually think that their god is going to grant them whatever they want.
I ain't a terrorist, don't misconstrue it
I'm pro-America, pro-Constitution
All I'm doing is speaking truth
when speaking truth brings persecution
-The Civilian's Military, "Masked Militant"

FTL_Mark

• I'm a Moderator now, but I don't want to hear your whining!
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 08, 2009, 09:56:27 AM »

FTL lost at least 6 listeners last night.

I hope that they go an and find entertainment that is doing as much for liberty. Perhaps they can give their AMP dollars to the Campaign for Liberty and listen to Neal Boortz.

It doesn't really matter, Mark.  Even if they give their AMP dollars to someone doing LESS for liberty and it means the government continues hurting people that much longer it's only because the universe took people that wanted to be victimized by the government and government people that wanted to hurt them and put them in the same room.

I didn't say that. Sam is not the Arbiter of all things spiritual. I do think that some people get what they want from the government. Look at Ian and his gross couch.

I liked what you said about proselytizing.  Ian and Sam claim that it makes no difference to them whether people buy into LoA or not.  Yet, when they go on a radio show and start making claims about thoughts affecting reality and people getting shot are asking for it then it damn sure seems like they're involving everyone else in their beliefs.  It also seems that they speak about it in such a way that they are pushing the idea that if more people actively practiced positive thinking and "harnessed LoA" then the word would be better.  That, to me, is proselytizing.

Dan, I would propose that Ian doesn't see himself as proselytizing his belief as much as reacting to attacks here. Proselyting goes both ways and we have some very evangelistic atheists here on the BBS.

Its all well and good until someone gets pissed and takes their AMP money and goes home. Now the cause for liberty has been harmed because some people just can't leave Ian to his own beliefs.
No one has conjectured that I could quite possibly be a Libertarian posing as an Anarchist trying to pretend to still be a Libertarian; or what I like to call an Anarcho-Hustler.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 08, 2009, 10:08:35 AM »

Dan, I would propose that Ian doesn't see himself as proselytizing his belief as much as reacting to attacks here. Proselyting goes both ways and we have some very evangelistic atheists here on the BBS.

Oh come on, Mark.  Wasn't it you who said two nights ago that it's not the radio show's job to respond to the chat room?  Is it your position that it is  the show's job to respond to the BBS? 

Its all well and good until someone gets pissed and takes their AMP money and goes home. Now the cause for liberty has been harmed because some people just can't leave Ian to his own beliefs.

If AMPing were the only way to financially help the cause for liberty, this might make sense.   But if it's not, or if a person thinks that the cause of liberty is actually harmed when radio hosts who claim to support it also go on and on about metaphysical theories of the universe giving them what they want, thus undermining their credibility, then it doesn't make any sense at all. 

If a person supports FTL when they think it supports liberty, and refuses to support FTL when they think it doesn't, or doesn't do so effectively, then there's nothing inconsistent about that.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 10:10:35 AM by Rillion »

BonerJoe

« Reply #258 on: February 08, 2009, 10:32:16 AM »

I don't think FTL helps spread liberty. I just think it makes the 1% of consistant libertarians the show's message reaches feel even more alone and depressed because it reminds them of how truly fucked up things really are.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 08, 2009, 11:17:04 AM »

I don't think FTL helps spread liberty. I just think it makes the 1% of consistant libertarians the show's message reaches feel even more alone and depressed because it reminds them of how truly fucked up things really are.

May well be true.  I don't amp because I think FTL supports liberty, although it might.  I amp because I like listening to the show, especially without commercials.  If it helps to spread liberty at all, that's just a fringe benefit as far as I'm concerned.  If I ever decide to stop amping because I don't like the show anymore, I'm sure not going to be made to feel guilty for "harming liberty." 

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #260 on: February 08, 2009, 11:28:50 AM »

Certainly, the show has brought more people into the freedom movement. I cannot count the number of times I've heard callers say, "I started listening to your show, and at first I disagreed strongly with everything you said. But, over time, you convinced me."

I think the hosts do their best job when they stick to reason. When they abandon reason and logic (LoA, anti-vaccination and such) listeners start writing them off as kooks. "Well, if they're crackpots in this area, they probably are nuts when it comes to this libertarian crap."
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

BonerJoe

« Reply #261 on: February 08, 2009, 11:47:38 AM »

Certainly, the show has brought more people into the freedom movement. I cannot count the number of times I've heard callers say, "I started listening to your show, and at first I disagreed strongly with everything you said. But, over time, you convinced me."

Except for gay marriage and bestiality, of course.

Dylboz

• What a deal! A few bucks a month makes me an
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • Only Anarcho-Capitalism is consistent with the NAP
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 08, 2009, 12:24:33 PM »

Proselyting goes both ways and we have some very evangelistic atheists here on the BBS.

Pointing out the fact that there is no empirical evidence for anyone's superstitious beliefs in The Secret or Jesus or the Torah is not "evangelizing," it is simple logical consistency. Calling it stupid, as I often do, is my personal assessment of the ideas, and my opinion of those who hold them to be true, even while benefiting from science and its application to the reality they spurn. I am a critic of theism, and an atheist. I don't care what you believe so much as I am critical when you profess it and as a fan of the show and liberty in general as well as the FSP in particular, I am concerned about the tremendously negative impact this asinine crap has on your overall credibility. If you can make a logical case for liberty, followed by a bunch of "spiritual" hooey, it makes it easy for rational people to dismiss you as whack-jobs, throwing the baby out with the bath water.
Religion is metaphysical statism. I will be ruled by no man on earth, nor by any god in heaven.

Please check out my blog!
Dylboznia

Frost

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 08, 2009, 04:35:40 PM »

Saying "my thoughts magically change the universe" does not build credibility.

YixilTesiphon

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 08, 2009, 05:45:03 PM »

Fuck LoA.
And their kids were hippie chicks - all hypocrites.

FTL_Mark

• I'm a Moderator now, but I don't want to hear your whining!
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 08, 2009, 07:33:08 PM »

Proselyting goes both ways and we have some very evangelistic atheists here on the BBS.

Pointing out the fact that there is no empirical evidence for anyone's superstitious beliefs in The Secret or Jesus or the Torah is not "evangelizing," it is simple logical consistency. Calling it stupid, as I often do, is my personal assessment of the ideas, and my opinion of those who hold them to be true, even while benefiting from science and its application to the reality they spurn. I am a critic of theism, and an atheist. I don't care what you believe so much as I am critical when you profess it and as a fan of the show and liberty in general as well as the FSP in particular, I am concerned about the tremendously negative impact this asinine crap has on your overall credibility. If you can make a logical case for liberty, followed by a bunch of "spiritual" hooey, it makes it easy for rational people to dismiss you as whack-jobs, throwing the baby out with the bath water.

I disagree that sharing your opinion on things theistic is not evangelizing, but you are certainly welcome to your opinion. If you want to change mine however combative threads sure are not the way to go about it.

I think that the FSP will be just fine one way or the other.

No one has conjectured that I could quite possibly be a Libertarian posing as an Anarchist trying to pretend to still be a Libertarian; or what I like to call an Anarcho-Hustler.

The ghost of a ghost of a ghost

• Owned by Brasky. Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 08, 2009, 08:04:14 PM »

Its hard for people that succeed to imagine that LUCK or CHANCE played a pivotal role in their success.  Hubris leads man to rationalize their success based on god's favor or universal approval. 

I think what so many of us find hard to grasp is how someone like Ian 'gets' it when it comes to most intellectual hurdles, yet falls flat on his face right out the gate in his race to 'GOD'. 

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 08, 2009, 08:30:36 PM »

I keep willing this topic away but you guys are messing it up.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Dylboz

• What a deal! A few bucks a month makes me an
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • Only Anarcho-Capitalism is consistent with the NAP
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 08, 2009, 08:54:40 PM »

I disagree that sharing your opinion on things theistic is not evangelizing, but you are certainly welcome to your opinion. If you want to change mine however combative threads sure are not the way to go about it.

I think that the FSP will be just fine one way or the other.

So, uh, you, Ian and Sam are now radio evangelists for "The Secret?" That's what you're saying. Is that what you think is the best direction for the show to take, both for gaining market share and spreading the message of liberty? Really?
Religion is metaphysical statism. I will be ruled by no man on earth, nor by any god in heaven.

Please check out my blog!
Dylboznia

The ghost of a ghost of a ghost

• Owned by Brasky. Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 09, 2009, 12:50:44 AM »

IAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Our objections to your belief systems are not meant to be harmful.  It may hurt you deeply that so many people who have been behind your ability to reason  now believe you to be a fool.  But rest assure, it's not because you have 'willed' it upon yourself.  You were not attracting this thought......."i want to lose credibility with my listeners over a fairy tale theology', and thus it manifested.  NO, rather your exit off the highway of enlightened truth is a brain experiment gone brain FART.  Cause and effect. 

Cause:  You hold irrational illogical beliefs about the universe.
Effect:  You lost credibility with your listeners concerning your ability to reason.

The posters here may be harsh but it's b/c they want to guide you back to a reasonable position.  You do not hold one currently.  To say it works for me and that's all that matters is like if you believed in Santa Claus b/c your parents did a good job tricking you.  Still doesn't make it true.

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oR27PoeOnXc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oR27PoeOnXc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b1e6_wY3F1s&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b1e6_wY3F1s&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 32   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Law of Attraction

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 32 queries.