Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Law of Attraction
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Law of Attraction  (Read 90553 times)

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
Re: Law of Attraction
« Reply #180 on: February 04, 2009, 10:16:04 AM »

Mob rule is what we have.  I would like to evolve past that, but we'll need to create a peaceful mob first (FSP) to persuade the mob-rule types to evolve their thinking.

Wow. :-(

No, that is what they have. Not "we". Your groupthink lever is on, man.

If you play their game by their rules, you're the sucker in the mix.

"Somehow our mob will do better." ain't the way.

You really oughtta know better.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 11:16:25 AM by John Shaw »
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

Dylboz

• What a deal! A few bucks a month makes me an
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • Only Anarcho-Capitalism is consistent with the NAP
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 04, 2009, 11:05:36 AM »

All I can say is, this LoA stuff has really, really hurt the credibility of FTL. It is in so many ways a repudiation of rationality and the individualist underpinnings of libertarian anarchism. I know that Gard wouldn't go in for that shit (I will shed a tear if my favorite co-host starts pushing The Secret). Anyway, I could expect this kind of murky doublethink from Mark, he's always so emotional and not entirely logical and he consistently holds conflicting opinions, but Ian, come on. This is Art Bell shit. This is dope smoking New-Age hippy stuff, "far out maaaaaan." I know that you have a lot of respect for Sam, but that doesn't mean you have to swallow his whole pseudo-religion. What is going to happen when something really, really terrible happens to you or Julia (life is like that)? Are you gong to blame yourself for accidentally thinking the wrong thoughts or will you rationalize that others were thinking those thoughts or that the universe somehow willed it? I hope it doesn't take something like that for you to shed this silly "happy thought thinking will change the world" stuff.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 02:55:34 PM by Dylboz »
Religion is metaphysical statism. I will be ruled by no man on earth, nor by any god in heaven.

Please check out my blog!
Dylboznia

Andy

• Verbose.
  • Ask me later.
    • View Profile
    • My Blawg
« Reply #182 on: February 04, 2009, 11:42:04 AM »

This is dope smoking New-Age hippy stuff, "far out maaaaaan."

Uh, yeah, what did you expect?

BonerJoe

« Reply #183 on: February 04, 2009, 02:44:06 PM »

Damn, it's like LoA is a religion for Ian.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 04, 2009, 02:47:03 PM »

I really don't like this double-talk.

If the LoA is true, then it is true objectively-- that means that it can be tested and demonstrated scientifically.  Because, after all, the LoA is a claim about how the universe works.

If the LoA "works for you," that doesn't mean it's true-- it means that acting as if it is true  gets you what you want. 

Your failure to make this distinction is what people get all sniffy about, Ian.   You can't go on about what a great thing the LoA is, and how true it is, and then when asked "Why?  How do you know?"  retreat into a little rabbit hole called "I'm no scientist, but it works for me."

You don't have to be a scientist in order to construct actual arguments for the truth or falsity of theories about how the world works.  I'm not a biologist, but I can explain very explicitly why I think evolution is true (and have done so in this very forum ad nauseum), and it has nothing to do with my wanting  it to be true.   When you use the "I'm not a scientist" excuse, it comes off as "I believe this without any good reason; I just want it to be true." 

Which is why it's an ideological stance.  You can tell that someone's stance is ideological when they care more about what it means than whether it's true, and whether it "works" rather than how  it works. 

Damn, it's like LoA is a religion for Ian.

Exactly.

Dylboz

• What a deal! A few bucks a month makes me an
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • Only Anarcho-Capitalism is consistent with the NAP
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 04, 2009, 03:09:29 PM »

At least do the libertarian capitalist thing and take a clue from the overwhelmingly negative listener reaction to this stuff. We don't want to hear it on the show, that's not what we tune in or sync up for. The market signals are telling you to drop the mysticism stuff from FTL, unless of course, someone calls in about it (though how you can credibly reject or debunk them while simultaneously subscribing to you own brand of it, I don't know). You realize that this stuff is really no different that the McDonald's eating Breatharian dude you had on the show a year or so back. He has as much evidence for his line of crap as you or anyone else does for LoA. He too talks a great deal about "vibrations" and "frequency." According to your position, Ian, it's possible he's right, too, isn't it?
Religion is metaphysical statism. I will be ruled by no man on earth, nor by any god in heaven.

Please check out my blog!
Dylboznia

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 04, 2009, 03:25:37 PM »

The LoA is a cubic phenomenon.  You are all educated stupid.

rabidfurby

« Reply #187 on: February 04, 2009, 06:15:09 PM »

I'm starting to think Ian actually doesn't believe in this bullshit, he just likes to talk about it because it makes rational people headdesk, and the controversy it generates is "good radio".

Either that, or Ian's fucking retarded.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 04, 2009, 06:17:23 PM »

I'm starting to think Ian actually doesn't believe in this bullshit, he just likes to talk about it because it makes rational people headdesk, and the controversy it generates is "good radio".

Either that, or Ian's fucking retarded.

RL troll is trolling IRL?

I dunno, I doubt he'd bicker about it on the BBS if he didn't care.

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 04, 2009, 06:41:59 PM »

Ian FTW! The rest of you need to get over it. Thread over!
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

rabidfurby

« Reply #190 on: February 04, 2009, 06:46:25 PM »

I dunno, I doubt he'd bicker about it on the BBS if he didn't care.

Yeah, you're probably right. One more mark in the "fucking retarded" column it is.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 04, 2009, 06:56:51 PM »

Yeah, you're probably right. One more mark in the "fucking retarded" column it is.

I was thinking more "Wrong headed and stubborn" than retarded.

<<<Likes Ian well enough.

FTL_Ian

• Professional Iconoclast
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #192 on: February 04, 2009, 07:20:15 PM »

What a bunch of crybabies.  I put the interview at the end of the podcast.  No one forced you to listen.  Mark asked if we could do it, and I said yes.  We haven't had a LoA topic in a long time. 

Boo-hoo.
Please support the show by joining the AMP program at http//amp.freetalklive.com

I blog at http://freekeene.com

FTL_Ian

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #193 on: February 04, 2009, 07:30:47 PM »

At least do the libertarian capitalist thing and take a clue from the overwhelmingly negative listener reaction to this stuff. We don't want to hear it on the show, that's not what we tune in or sync up for. The market signals are telling you to drop the mysticism stuff from FTL, unless of course, someone calls in about it (though how you can credibly reject or debunk them while simultaneously subscribing to you own brand of it, I don't know).

Sounds to me like you're engaging in collectivist speak now.  Who elected you to speak for all listeners?
Please support the show by joining the AMP program at http//amp.freetalklive.com

FTL_Ian

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #194 on: February 04, 2009, 07:33:16 PM »

FYI:  I found this concept before I knew Sam.  He's just a like-minded individual.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 32   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Law of Attraction

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 32 queries.