Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Law of Attraction
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Law of Attraction  (Read 90905 times)

Frost

• View Profile
Re: Law of Attraction
« Reply #135 on: January 12, 2009, 08:16:06 PM »

fatcat

Touché

Just don't reject a good idea because someone else dressed it up in magical thinking.

fatcat

« Reply #136 on: January 13, 2009, 11:52:20 AM »

fatcat

Touché

Just don't reject a good idea because someone else dressed it up in magical thinking.

I don't. I think thinking positively about your life and being focussed on what you want to achieve in life is a good way to go about things.

I just think not only is it unneccessary to inject magic forces into it, but its also disempowering of peoples own abilities, as if the only way things can go right for you is if the universe is somehow "aligning" itself to help you, and not because you actually did things to help your life.

Plus the slippery slope of allowing magical thinking in some areas, leads to vunerability to other, more exploitative cons, like healing magnets, homeopathy etc, and ideas that are politically dangerous, like people trying to ban Wi-Fi because they think it causes them headaches, when in every test thats ever been done reliably with correct methodology it is shown it has absolutely 0 effect on people.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 11:56:18 AM by fatcat »

DanPatrick

« Reply #137 on: January 16, 2009, 12:11:03 AM »

I'm watching the American Idol auditions and this show is proof that LoA is bullshit.  Some of these people are genuinely incredibly positive and SO confident that they can sing well and will be the chosen American Idol...yet they're horrible.  One guy even said he was thinking about and visualizing his success so much that he had a dream the night before that Simon Cowell told him he was the best singer there.  Yet, he couldn't carry a tune if it was in a bucket.  Horrible.

Harry Tuttle

• Please don't feed the elitists
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 16, 2009, 12:37:19 AM »

I'm watching the American Idol auditions and this show is proof that LoA is bullshit.  Some of these people are genuinely incredibly positive and SO confident that they can sing well and will be the chosen American Idol...yet they're horrible.  One guy even said he was thinking about and visualizing his success so much that he had a dream the night before that Simon Cowell told him he was the best singer there.  Yet, he couldn't carry a tune if it was in a bucket.  Horrible.

He should have believed harder. That would have made the universe bend around him.  8)
"If you're giving up your freedom to have freedom you don't have freedom, dummy."              - Mark Edge (10/11/08 show)

Evil Muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 16, 2009, 12:39:52 AM »

Law of Attraction is all bullshit. 

Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 03, 2009, 05:11:03 PM »

Regarding the 2/2 show supplemental.....

Mark and Ian, please don't have somebody on the show (in this case, Toni LaMotta) who makes claims about "vibrations" and "what the universe gives you"  unless they can explain what a "vibration" is, what it means for a vibration to be "higher" or "lower," and why the universe should "want" to give you anything.  Because these things are not just a given.  

I suppose I can understand that you might not want to appear rude to a guest by suggesting that "vibration" is a new age bullshit term for "feeling," but at the very least you could ask her what the terms she's using mean.

Mark: "What I like about this, Toni, is if I focus on gratitude-- suppose it does nothing, like from a skeptical standpoint, suppose it does nothing in my life-- I still got the experience of being grateful for all of the things that I have."

Well, you know what?  If you focus on gratitude without all of the law of attraction bullshit, you still end up with.....gratitude!  Funny how that happens.  Refusing to take a credulous stance and instead taking account of what you have in life means that you can still be grateful!   And what's more, you don't have to try and believe in anything non-existent!  Or buy any books, videos, or CDs, which is what "Dr. Toni" is selling.  

Also, "Dr." Toni's web site says that she "holds a Doctorate in Religious Studies as well as a Doctor of Divinity degree; three Masters Degrees - in Pastoral Ministry, Adult Education, and Mathematics (a true WHOLE Brained individual)" but it doesn't say where any of these degrees are from.  Any word on that?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 05:13:57 PM by Rillion »

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #141 on: February 03, 2009, 05:12:04 PM »

Mark and Ian, please don't have somebody on the show (in this case, Toni LaMotta) who makes claims about "vibrations" and "what the universe gives you"  unless they can explain what a "vibration" is, what it means for a vibration to be "higher" or "lower," and why the universe should "want" to give you anything.  Because these things are not just a given.  

I suppose I can understand that you might not want to appear rude to a guest by suggesting that "vibration" is a new age bullshit term for "feeling," but at the very least you could ask her what the terms she's using mean.

Mark: "What I like about this, Toni, is if I focus on gratitude-- suppose it does nothing, like from a skeptical standpoint, suppose it does nothing in my life-- I still got the experience of being grateful for all of the things that I have."

Well, you know what?  If you focus on gratitude without all of the law of attraction bullshit, you still end up with.....gratitude!  Funny how that happens.  Refusing to take a credulous stance and instead taking account what you have in life means that you can still be grateful!   And what's more, you don't have to try and believe in anything non-existent!  Or buy any books, videos, or CDs, which is what "Dr. Toni" is selling.  

Also, "Dr." Toni's web site says that she "holds a Doctorate in Religious Studies as well as a Doctor of Divinity degree; three Masters Degrees - in Pastoral Ministry, Adult Education, and Mathematics (a true WHOLE Brained individual)" but it doesn't say where any of these degrees are from.  Any word on that?

Continued promotion of that sort of boolsheet is gonna cost listeners in droves.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

dmr235

« Reply #142 on: February 03, 2009, 05:18:13 PM »

Well, you know what?  If you focus on gratitude without all of the law of attraction bullshit, you still end up with.....gratitude!  Funny how that happens.  Refusing to take a credulous stance and instead taking account of what you have in life means that you can still be grateful!   And what's more, you don't have to try and believe in anything non-existent!  Or buy any books, videos, or CDs, which is what "Dr. Toni" is selling.  

+1

blackie

« Reply #143 on: February 03, 2009, 05:36:01 PM »

http://www.godsdirectcontact.com/english/method.html
Inner Sound: This primal vibration or Sound is in its nature transcendental and therefore perceived in silence. Jesus' disciples called it the "Holy Spirit" or the "Word" (which is from the Greek word "Logos," meaning sound). "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." After Shakyamuni Buddha attained enlightenment, He spoke of this Sound too, calling it the "drum of immortality" Krishna equated Himself with the "sound in ether" Mohammed perceived this Sound in the cave at Gare-Hira when He had a vision of the archangel Gabriel, and Lao Tzu described the Tao as the "Great Tone".

Inner Light: Spiritual light also manifests as an aspect of the Divine Presence. Hence, the great Masters impart both transcendental Sound and Light, as The Supreme Master Ching Hai explains. "So, we get in contact with this Spirit, which is a manifestation of divine Light and Vibration, and by doing so, we know God. In fact, it isn't really a method. It is the power of the Master. If you have it, then you can transmit it. The method is a transcendental one that cannot be described by our language. Even if someone describes it to you, you will not receive the Light and the Vibration, the inner peace and wisdom. Everything is transmitted in silence, and you will see your old Masters like Jesus or Buddha. You will receive all that you need to follow their footsteps, and little by little you will become Christ-like, and you will become one with God."

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 03, 2009, 05:37:41 PM »

Inner Sound: This primal vibration or Sound is in its nature transcendental and therefore perceived in silence. Jesus' disciples called it the "Holy Spirit" or the "Word" (which is from the Greek word "Logos," meaning sound). "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." After Shakyamuni Buddha attained enlightenment, He spoke of this Sound too, calling it the "drum of immortality" Krishna equated Himself with the "sound in ether" Mohammed perceived this Sound in the cave at Gare-Hira when He had a vision of the archangel Gabriel, and Lao Tzu described the Tao as the "Great Tone".

Inner Light: Spiritual light also manifests as an aspect of the Divine Presence. Hence, the great Masters impart both transcendental Sound and Light, as The Supreme Master Ching Hai explains. "So, we get in contact with this Spirit, which is a manifestation of divine Light and Vibration, and by doing so, we know God. In fact, it isn't really a method. It is the power of the Master. If you have it, then you can transmit it. The method is a transcendental one that cannot be described by our language. Even if someone describes it to you, you will not receive the Light and the Vibration, the inner peace and wisdom. Everything is transmitted in silence, and you will see your old Masters like Jesus or Buddha. You will receive all that you need to follow their footsteps, and little by little you will become Christ-like, and you will become one with God."

I understand now, and believe.

DanPatrick

« Reply #145 on: February 03, 2009, 05:44:22 PM »

Seriously, guys.  Will you all just stop with this non-sense?  Could you at least have a skeptic on that will use something like, I dunno, science to address this issue?  Penn & Teller would be so disappointed.

blackie

« Reply #146 on: February 03, 2009, 05:51:51 PM »

I understand now, and believe.
You should law of attract yourself a cookie, or a cookiepuss.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 03, 2009, 05:54:02 PM »

Everything anyone ever needs to know about the LOA.

[youtube=425,350]RV-p51fvYLc[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV-p51fvYLc

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 03, 2009, 11:27:25 PM »

I can do that stuff easy.

Keep going Ian and Mark, with these important discussions. I am with you (always) and together perchance we can rid ourselves of these less-than-positive (I shan't say the "N" word) attempts at distracting us from the Light.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

DanPatrick

« Reply #149 on: February 04, 2009, 12:01:12 AM »

I can do that stuff easy.

Keep going Ian and Mark, with these important discussions. I am with you (always) and together perchance we can rid ourselves of these less-than-positive (I shan't say the "N" word) attempts at distracting us from the Light.

I hope this is sarcasm.  Because calling for people to use logic, reason, and science to back up their claims is SOOOOO "less-than-positive", right?  If the guys are going to believe in this shit then they had better start entertaining every single chemtrail, 9/11 truth, trilateral commission, lizard people conspiracy nut job that calls in because all of those things are just as plausible as silly-ass wishing on a star Law of Attraction.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 32   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Law of Attraction

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.