Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Law of Attraction
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Law of Attraction  (Read 90540 times)

burnthebeautiful

Re: Law of Attraction
« Reply #105 on: July 03, 2008, 11:45:07 PM »

Other people have pretty much summed up what I feel about this. There are real, tangible reasons why positive thinking works. If you think positively, you are more likely to attempt to achieve goals than if you think negatively. And if you think positively, even if you don't achieve the goal you set out you'll be able to find something positive about what you learned rather than go around moping about your failure. Most people enjoy the company of positive people more than the company of negative people. So thinking positively will likely make your social life better. Thinking positively will likely make you a better worker, and make companies more willing to hire you. And so on.

Positive thinking makes your life better because of real, tangible reasons, not because there's a magical positive energy unicorn flying around in the sky with a magic wand granting wishes.

YixilTesiphon

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 03, 2008, 11:52:43 PM »

Right. You don't need to add a bunch of mystical whomperjaggery to "setting goals and following steps to get there will frequently get you to your goals".
And their kids were hippie chicks - all hypocrites.

fatcat

« Reply #107 on: January 09, 2009, 07:32:23 AM »

I think people must have a different idea than I about what "true" means.

If the Law of Attraction is true, it must have a noticeable, repeatable, statistically significant effect on the way reality works. If it does have this effect, why wouldn't scientific methods be able to discover it? This is exactly what scientific methods DO—they let us learn whether some noticeable, repeatable, statistically significant effect is happening.

How could the Law of Attraction be true if it doesn't have a noticeable, repeatable, statistically significant effect?

Its that special kind of true where it doesn't actually work if you try to test or measure it in anyway. Either it exists outside "the realm of science" (which coincidentally makes the claim perform aswell as a placebo or random chance in tests), or "it doesn't always" work (which coincidentally any time it actually comes under testing or analysis, but it works all the time in anecdotal personal experience, honest)

By the way, did I mention I have the power to turn invisible? But only if no one is watching or recording it in anyway, but trust me, it works for me, I really can do it.

sinceredagreat

« Reply #108 on: January 09, 2009, 01:24:12 PM »

Other people have pretty much summed up what I feel about this. There are real, tangible reasons why positive thinking works. If you think positively, you are more likely to attempt to achieve goals than if you think negatively. And if you think positively, even if you don't achieve the goal you set out you'll be able to find something positive about what you learned rather than go around moping about your failure. Most people enjoy the company of positive people more than the company of negative people. So thinking positively will likely make your social life better. Thinking positively will likely make you a better worker, and make companies more willing to hire you. And so on.

Positive thinking makes your life better because of real, tangible reasons, not because there's a magical positive energy unicorn flying around in the sky with a magic wand granting wishes.

They are called self-fulfilling prophecies.

Frost

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 11, 2009, 01:24:27 AM »

Your thoughts affect your behavior. Your behavior affects other people.

It is perfectly reasonable to believe that your thoughts will have effects on the world around you when you are an empathic social animal. Those that claim these effects are supernatural and those that demand that it must be(in order to ridicule it) are both wrong. 

Harry Tuttle

• Please don't feed the elitists
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 11, 2009, 01:37:20 AM »

Your thoughts affect your behavior. Your behavior affects other people.

It is perfectly reasonable to believe that your thoughts will have effects on the world around you when you are an empathic social animal. Those that claim these effects are supernatural and those that demand that it must be(in order to ridicule it) are both wrong. 

Right, exactly. Focusing your thoughts can help to cause a change in your behavior, help you see new opportunities for action, and appear differently in aspect to others.  It is when one thinks that the thought itself that causes the world to change, before action, that one gets into the realm of the ridiculous.
"If you're giving up your freedom to have freedom you don't have freedom, dummy."              - Mark Edge (10/11/08 show)

Frost

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 11, 2009, 01:50:14 AM »

t is when one thinks that the thought itself that causes the world to change, before action, that one gets into the realm of the ridiculous.

It works just as well if someone believes that though. It is rather hard to convince someone that they are wrong when it is working for them.

sinceredagreat

« Reply #112 on: January 11, 2009, 08:23:02 AM »

Another reason why I hate christians. They believe the world is going to end, and when it does, they are going to heaven. It's their best interest according to their belief to usher in the apocalypse that way Jesus comes back faster. Hence, being a Chirstian means you want the world to be engulfed in pain and misery, and that is the worst self-fufilling prophecy of all.

I mean, as a Christian, why would you care about wars? I mean, the more wars, the better, because that just means you are closer to seeing your god. Fuck that shit.

fatcat

« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2009, 10:24:44 AM »

t is when one thinks that the thought itself that causes the world to change, before action, that one gets into the realm of the ridiculous.

It works just as well if someone believes that though. It is rather hard to convince someone that they are wrong when it is working for them.

Healing magnets "work" well for some people. It doesn't mean sane people shouldn't try to convince them they're putting their time and money in bullshit.

Again, theres nothing wrong with thinking positively about your life, but the reason it works is because it changes how you think and act, not because of magic.

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 11, 2009, 10:26:26 AM »

Law of Attraction seems dumb, sorry, but I prefer just having an internal locus of control.
I hear thunder but there's no rain, this kind of thunder breaks walls and window pane

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #115 on: January 11, 2009, 10:33:29 AM »

Law of Attraction seems dumb, sorry, but I prefer just having an internal locus of control.

Well, they don't even have words for it, but they are total Kantian WE CAN CHANGE REALITY BY CHANGING PERCEPTION nonsense.

These are people who don't agree that reality is an objective absolute. They believe that A can also be non A.

They are wrong, and the best you and I can do is wait until they figure that out with a welcoming smile, I guess.

All anyone needs know about this sort of thinking: IF perception = reality THEN Kennedy should never have been hit by a bullet, because he wasn't aware of it.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

sinceredagreat

« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2009, 10:36:02 AM »

Well, they don't even have words for it, but they are total Kantian WE CAN CHANGE REALITY BY CHANGING PERCEPTION nonsense.

These are people who don't agree that reality is an objective absolute. They believe that A can also be non A.

They are wrong, and the best you and I can do is wait until they figure that out with a welcoming smile, I guess.

All anyone needs know about this sort of thinking: IF perception = reality THEN Kennedy should never have been hit by a bullet, because he wasn't aware of it.

When people say perception equals reality, they mean it in a subjective sense most of the time I cam across people saying it.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2009, 10:42:27 AM »

When people say perception equals reality, they mean it in a subjective sense most of the time I cam across people saying it.

Doesn't change anything. To Kennedy, personally, from his point of view, there was no bullet. He wasn't aware of it, and when it hit him, he wasn't aware of anything, because his awareness was flopping out of his skull.

If an idea can't be put into practice, it is useless.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

sinceredagreat

« Reply #118 on: January 11, 2009, 10:43:57 AM »

Doesn't change anything. To Kennedy, personally, from his point of view, there was no bullet. He wasn't aware of it, and when it hit him, he wasn't aware of anything, because his awareness was flopping out of his skull.

If an idea can't be put into practice, it is useless.

I that is clearly an objective situation, and when people say perception = reality, they mean in terms of opinions, and how they can sometimes affect real-life shit.

Frost

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 11, 2009, 06:37:06 PM »

Healing magnets "work" well for some people. It doesn't mean sane people shouldn't try to convince them they're putting their time and money in bullshit.

That analogy does not work though, even if people were putting a lot of time and money into the law of attraction, and it is not apparent to me that they are, it does actually work so they are not wasting anything. They are just missing a detail on how it works. If someone believed that their television worked on magic would you tell them they wasted their money buying it? Would you spend a lot of time trying to explain how cathode ray tubes work?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 32   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Law of Attraction

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 32 queries.