Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Law of Attraction
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Law of Attraction  (Read 90525 times)

Blackie

Re: Law of Attraction
« Reply #90 on: June 20, 2008, 10:59:53 AM »

I think it's already been made clear that there's no science or testing involved here.
Maybe for you, but Mark seems to think differently about it.

FTL_Ian

• Professional Iconoclast
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2008, 11:50:21 AM »

So it isn't testable, and there is no evidence.

Sounds like you have faith that it works, Ian.

There's evidence in my life all over the place.
Please support the show by joining the AMP program at http//amp.freetalklive.com

I blog at http://freekeene.com

FTL_Ian

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2008, 11:55:21 AM »

I think it's already been made clear that there's no science or testing involved here.
Maybe for you, but Mark seems to think differently about it.

True.  He does call his belief system "science of the mind".
Please support the show by joining the AMP program at http//amp.freetalklive.com

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #93 on: June 20, 2008, 12:34:08 PM »

I don't really care if you believe it or not, and I think it's already been made clear that there's no science or testing involved here.

Which is totally cool. It's just that claiming that it is "Real" drags science into the mix, that's all. It's not science. It's speculation at best, pure opinion backed by faith at worst.

None of which hurts anybody (Usually), so no harm, no foul.

My problem is with people trying to pass off anecdotal evidence as fact. (Something which I have not accused you of.)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 12:35:48 PM by John Shaw »
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

BonerJoe

« Reply #94 on: June 20, 2008, 12:54:55 PM »

So it isn't testable, and there is no evidence.

Sounds like you have faith that it works, Ian.

There's evidence in my life all over the place.

If I choose to go out and make money today...I likey will.

I don't assign some fancy psuedo-religous crap to the method.

Taors

« Reply #95 on: June 20, 2008, 02:14:44 PM »

But toars is right, LoA belongs in the same catagory as occult stuff. You know, the bullshit section of the book store.

I didn't say any such thing.

Blackie

« Reply #96 on: June 20, 2008, 02:18:31 PM »

But toars is right, LoA belongs in the same catagory as occult stuff. You know, the bullshit section of the book store.

my bad

the Law of Attraction in general is a concept riding on the coattails of many accomplished occultists in the past, especially those of the kabbalistic persuasion. From everything I've heard about the Law of Attraction from it's followers, and stuff I've read from the actual book, the Law of Attraction people are just taking tried and true methods from the occultists and magicians and twisting it into their own positive thinking-esque circle jerk which lacks any real substance.

Taors

« Reply #97 on: June 20, 2008, 02:21:19 PM »

my bad

the Law of Attraction in general is a concept riding on the coattails of many accomplished occultists in the past, especially those of the kabbalistic persuasion. From everything I've heard about the Law of Attraction from it's followers, and stuff I've read from the actual book, the Law of Attraction people are just taking tried and true methods from the occultists and magicians and twisting it into their own positive thinking-esque circle jerk which lacks any real substance.

Yeah, I didn't say anything about the occult being bullshit, or the Law of Attraction being put into the same section as the occult and magick. They aren't the same thing.

Blackie

« Reply #98 on: June 20, 2008, 02:23:10 PM »

Like I sad, my bad, asshole.

theodorelogan

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 20, 2008, 02:26:18 PM »

My problem is with people trying to pass off anecdotal evidence as fact. (Something which I have not accused you of.)

The simpler, rational explanation is confirmation bias.
Go figure...

RAD!

Taors

« Reply #100 on: June 20, 2008, 02:59:44 PM »

Like I sad, my bad, asshole.

Sorry. :?

client101

« Reply #101 on: June 20, 2008, 03:12:58 PM »

The simpler, rational explanation is confirmation bias.

Here here. I watched the movie "The Secret" last night (Well, I watched about half of it pausing every 10-20 seconds to keep from smashing my laptop) with my girlfriend and basically used it as a tool for explaining what confirmation bias was. Every 5 minutes or so I would say "That's the perfect example of confirmation bias."

rabidfurby

« Reply #102 on: June 21, 2008, 09:45:50 PM »

I don't claim to know how the universe works.  I imagine it works in ways we can barely begin to fathom.

This attitude is straight out of the 1700s. Nowadays, we have this thing called "science" that allows us to make educated guesses about how the universe works, observe how well they correspond to how it actually works, then refine those guesses.

The "Law of Attraction" has absolutely zero scientific evidence to back it up.

FTL_Ian

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #103 on: June 21, 2008, 11:29:15 PM »

I don't claim to know how the universe works.  I imagine it works in ways we can barely begin to fathom.

This attitude is straight out of the 1700s. Nowadays, we have this thing called "science" that allows us to make educated guesses about how the universe works, observe how well they correspond to how it actually works, then refine those guesses.

The "Law of Attraction" has absolutely zero scientific evidence to back it up.
You're 100% right.

thomasjack

« Reply #104 on: June 22, 2008, 12:14:36 AM »

I think people must have a different idea than I about what "true" means.

If the Law of Attraction is true, it must have a noticeable, repeatable, statistically significant effect on the way reality works. If it does have this effect, why wouldn't scientific methods be able to discover it? This is exactly what scientific methods DO—they let us learn whether some noticeable, repeatable, statistically significant effect is happening.

How could the Law of Attraction be true if it doesn't have a noticeable, repeatable, statistically significant effect?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 32   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Law of Attraction

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 32 queries.