Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Law of Attraction
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Law of Attraction  (Read 90552 times)

FTL_Ian

• Professional Iconoclast
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
Re: Law of Attraction
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2008, 06:24:13 PM »

I'll start off by saying that I love the show, but just like the original creator of this thread, I really start to cringe any time Ian goes off on the "Law of Attraction". Lets define the "Law of Attraction" right at the beginning so there's no confusion as to what I'm talking about.

Sorry if this dragged on, but this law of attraction bullshit really really gets me fired up.

Sorry if we didn't make it clear.  Action is still important.  LoA just lines up circumstances - it's up to you to open the doors to get you where you want to be.
Please support the show by joining the AMP program at http//amp.freetalklive.com

I blog at http://freekeene.com

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2008, 09:31:35 PM »

LoA just lines up circumstances.

No, no it doesn't.

Show me one repeatable effect. One.

One test. Then ten. Then a hundred.

No personal stories.

There isn't one repeatably measured test.

There is no secret.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 09:55:54 PM by John Shaw »
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

Taors

« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2008, 10:03:22 PM »

If it works, do it. That's my philosophy.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2008, 10:28:11 PM »

Which is cool. And if it doesn't work, and you still believe it does anyway, you're wasting time and energy.

Taors

« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2008, 02:29:32 AM »

Which is cool. And if it doesn't work, and you still believe it does anyway, you're wasting time and energy.

The point is is that it works for that particular person.

thomasjack

« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2008, 02:50:12 AM »

From The Secret:
Quantum mechanics confirms it. Quantum cosmology confirms it. That the Universe essentially emerges from thought and all of this matter around us is just precipitated thought. Ultimately we are the source of the Universe, and when we understand that power directly by experience, we can start to exercise our authority and begin to achieve more and more. Create anything. Know anything from within the field of our own consciousness, which ultimately is Universal consciousness that runs the Universe.
:shens:

We are now entering the era of energy medicine. Everything in the Universe has a frequency and all you have to do is change a frequency or create an opposite frequency. That's how easy it is to change anything in the world, whether that's disease or emotional issues or whatever it is. ... Disease is held in the body by thought, by observation of the illness, and by the attention given to the illness. If you are feeling a little unwell, don't talk about it—unless you want more if it. ... Do not listen to society's messages about diseases and aging. Negative messages do not serve you.
This is just plain harmful. There are people out there dumb enough to believe this shit.

Taors

« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2008, 03:42:33 AM »

From The Secret:
Quantum mechanics confirms it. Quantum cosmology confirms it. That the Universe essentially emerges from thought and all of this matter around us is just precipitated thought. Ultimately we are the source of the Universe, and when we understand that power directly by experience, we can start to exercise our authority and begin to achieve more and more. Create anything. Know anything from within the field of our own consciousness, which ultimately is Universal consciousness that runs the Universe.

We are now entering the era of energy medicine. Everything in the Universe has a frequency and all you have to do is change a frequency or create an opposite frequency. That's how easy it is to change anything in the world, whether that's disease or emotional issues or whatever it is. ... Disease is held in the body by thought, by observation of the illness, and by the attention given to the illness. If you are feeling a little unwell, don't talk about it—unless you want more if it. ... Do not listen to society's messages about diseases and aging. Negative messages do not serve you.
This is just plain harmful. There are people out there dumb enough to believe this shit.

I agree with the first quote, since it's true, but I'm not a very big fan of the second. You should couple metaphysical type of healing WITH regular medicine. It's entirely possible to heal someone using unconventional means, true, but sometimes biology and spirit don't mix very well and you end up substituting one for the other. Israel Regardie lays out the practice of metaphysical healing in his book The True Art of Healing pretty damn well. Check it out if you're into that type of stuff.

Now more about my thoughts on The Secret...the Law of Attraction in general is a concept riding on the coattails of many accomplished occultists in the past, especially those of the kabbalistic persuasion. From everything I've heard about the Law of Attraction from it's followers, and stuff I've read from the actual book, the Law of Attraction people are just taking tried and true methods from the occultists and magicians and twisting it into their own positive thinking-esque circle jerk which lacks any real substance.

It's just a watered down version of what people like Aleister Crowley, Robert Anton Wilson, Dion Fortune, and Grant Morrison have been telling us for ages. If you're really big into this Law of Attraction stuff...check out some of the work by the people I just mentioned before doing anything else. Prometheus Rising by Robert Anton Wilson deals with many of the same things that magicians and occultists have been dealing with for centuries, except R.A.W. lays out this stuff in modern day layman's terms. If you're really interested in the LOA and conscious creation, you really need to check out some of this stuff. You won't be disappointed.

I'd also like to recommend The Mystical Qabbalah by Dion Fortune. You don't need to know a lot about the Qabbalah/kabbalah to understand most of the concepts in this book, and it's a great beginner's guide.

Happy trails.

thomasjack

« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2008, 05:04:42 AM »

From The Secret:

I agree with the first quote, since it's true, ...

It's true? Seems like utter bullshit to me. I don't even think it deserves to be called pseudo-science; it's worse than that. Why exactly do you think it's true?

Blackie

« Reply #83 on: June 20, 2008, 09:05:54 AM »

From The Secret:

I agree with the first quote, since it's true, ...

It's true? Seems like utter bullshit to me. I don't even think it deserves to be called pseudo-science; it's worse than that. Why exactly do you think it's true?
The problem with the secret lady is that she is stupid and doesn't know what she is talking about.

Quantum cosmology

Despite many attempts, such as the Wheeler-deWitt equation, the field remains a rather speculative branch of quantum gravity.

An important problem in this field is the origin of information in the universe.

But toars is right, LoA belongs in the same catagory as occult stuff. You know, the bullshit section of the book store.

client101

« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2008, 10:09:36 AM »

I'll start off by saying that I love the show, but just like the original creator of this thread, I really start to cringe any time Ian goes off on the "Law of Attraction". Lets define the "Law of Attraction" right at the beginning so there's no confusion as to what I'm talking about.

Sorry if this dragged on, but this law of attraction bullshit really really gets me fired up.

Sorry if we didn't make it clear.  Action is still important.  LoA just lines up circumstances - it's up to you to open the doors to get you where you want to be.

Just one more point of clarification if you will. Do you subscribe to the belief that the "universe" actually physically changes do to your thought and emotions alone ? Or do you believe that focused thought can make you more aware of opportunity, either chance happenings or things you brought about through your own actions.

It seems to me that concentration on a goal will make you more likely to see and seize opportunities that someone without the focus would miss. It also makes you more likely to go to places where opportunity will be found and to associate with people that share your goals and desires. Every step of the way you are making the decision that later on might seem magical but are just the natural result of you actions. There is no god (universe, higher power, other plane of exsistance, great mother, etc) directing things here on our little blue dot. There is only us, our actions, the actions of those around us and the forces of nature. Anything beyond that is so irrelevant to our lives that it should be viewed as nothing more than a distraction (excluding, of course, the complicated human set of emotion and interpersonal relationships).

Anyone telling you that they have the ultimate answer to happiness and wealth should be viewed with a HUGE amount of skepticism. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence and there is no evidence supporting the so-called "law of attraction."

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2008, 10:12:13 AM »

Anyone telling you that they have the ultimate answer to happiness and wealth should be viewed with a HUGE amount of skepticism totally dismissed as a snake oil salesman/woman. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence and there is no evidence supporting the so-called "law of attraction."

FTFY.

LOA is bunk unbacked by any evidence whatsoever.

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #86 on: June 20, 2008, 10:55:30 AM »

Once they pull the quantum bunny from the bag, you know it's pure bunkum.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

FTL_Ian

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #87 on: June 20, 2008, 10:56:00 AM »

LoA just lines up circumstances.

No, no it doesn't.

Show me one repeatable effect. One.

One test. Then ten. Then a hundred.

No personal stories.

There isn't one repeatably measured test.

There is no secret.

I don't really care if you believe it or not, and I think it's already been made clear that there's no science or testing involved here.
Please support the show by joining the AMP program at http//amp.freetalklive.com

FTL_Ian

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #88 on: June 20, 2008, 10:58:02 AM »

Just one more point of clarification if you will. Do you subscribe to the belief that the "universe" actually physically changes do to your thought and emotions alone ? Or do you believe that focused thought can make you more aware of opportunity, either chance happenings or things you brought about through your own actions.

It doesn't matter what my beliefs are.  I don't claim to know how the universe works.  I imagine it works in ways we can barely begin to fathom.

theodorelogan

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 20, 2008, 10:58:50 AM »

So it isn't testable, and there is no evidence.

Sounds like you have faith that it works, Ian.
Go figure...

RAD!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 32   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Law of Attraction

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 32 queries.