Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Law of Attraction
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Law of Attraction  (Read 90526 times)

ReverendRyan

Re: Law of Attraction
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2008, 07:52:29 PM »

No, the message is "Give me your money and I'll teach you magic!"

jimmed

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2008, 07:54:25 PM »

Which is exactly the subject of 99% of popular"non-fiction".

FTL_Ian

• Professional Iconoclast
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2008, 09:04:24 PM »

Except info is available free. 

Are you anti-self help because people pay others to remind them of what they already know?  Are they hucksters, too?
Please support the show by joining the AMP program at http//amp.freetalklive.com

I blog at http://freekeene.com

Harry Tuttle

• Please don't feed the elitists
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2008, 01:43:03 AM »

My take on this is that there is a lot of value in spending a little time focusing on what you are after, whether it is imagining, picturing, writing, listing, or talking about goals and objectives. Some people equate this process with meditation or prayer.

I think "the secret" and other sources often go a little far into mysticism, and that's where I hop off the ride.

If you don't have goals of your own, chances are you are just following someone else's plan and that is more likely to benefit someone else than it benefits you. So: get a plan. 
"If you're giving up your freedom to have freedom you don't have freedom, dummy."              - Mark Edge (10/11/08 show)

bakerbaker

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2008, 04:14:20 PM »

Positive thinking doesn't change or create reality,  (only taking the necessary action to attain your goals does).

wouldn't you say that positve thinking can inspire one to take the necessary actions with which to invoke change, or create a better reality?  and if so, then how could someone make the claim that positive thinking does NOT create or change reality?

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2008, 06:27:32 PM »

Positive thinking doesn't change or create reality,  (only taking the necessary action to attain your goals does).

wouldn't you say that positve thinking can inspire one to take the necessary actions with which to invoke change, or create a better reality?  and if so, then how could someone make the claim that positive thinking does NOT create or change reality?
You're both right, sitting on your butt thinking about what you wish would be won't accomplish anything, but it can inspire you to do something to get what you want.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2008, 09:21:13 PM »

You're both right, sitting on your butt thinking about what you wish would be won't accomplish anything, but it can inspire you to do something to get what you want.

Yes. There are plenty of people sitting on welfare complaining that they never have any "luck."
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

Selfish Gene

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2008, 02:46:58 AM »

How many days does one see a blue feather anyway and never give it a thought?

Dylboz

• What a deal! A few bucks a month makes me an
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • Only Anarcho-Capitalism is consistent with the NAP
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2008, 08:44:09 PM »

The Secret, and the so-called "Law of Attraction" it pitched implies that the thoughts themselves are sufficient to alter the universe around you, bringing into existence that better reality or desired change. See, they are divorcing the thoughts from the actions, and turning good advice  -focus on your goals, take steps to achieve them, think through your decisions thoroughly, etc.- into silly magical hooey, where in if you want something, wish it hard enough, and you shall have it. They have to, because Americans (well, almost everyone else, too) generally want stuff without making the effort necessary to get it. If they just made the uncontroversial statement that you should focus on your goals, visualize them, think about the requisite antecedents, then make plans with concrete steps you can take to accomplish them, and then act on them, they would just be your mom, and not The Secret, a mysterious new revelation that can change your life and make you rich, famous and generously endowed.

And then there's the blue feather test. This is an example of confirmation bias and anecdotal evidence being used to sell the idea. It is an item common enough that if you weren't actually looking for it, you wouldn't even think about it. Once you decide to "create the reality" of a blue feather, you'll take note of it when you see one, and then the confirmation bias kicks in, and you now have your own anecdote to tell others about how "The Law of Attraction" worked for you.

Yes. There are plenty of people sitting on welfare complaining that they never have any "luck."

Yeah, the room mate I'm sick of hearing bitch about how "this could only happen to me," and "I have the worst luck" is a guy who ignores his responsibilities, wont open his mail or return phone calls, cannot be cajoled, shamed, bribed or threatened into arriving less than an hour late for anything, just turns up the radio when his car starts making funny noises, has serious medical problems that could be treated with proper diet, but wont eat anything but McDonald's and chocolate milk, then he yells at and abuses people when he's actually called out on his bad behavior, or outright lies about it. Not surprisingly, he's not wealthy, successful or married to a beautiful wife, no he's a 40 year old loser who still borrows money from his mom (though last time he asked, she told him to get on welfare :D ). That's not bad luck, that's what you get for being a total ass. That's called making your own, very bad, luck.

Meanwhile, I have survived 3 heart surgeries, recent tragic deaths in the family, a bitter divorce due to a cheating spouse, and more. Yet, I am always cheerful and positive, and I haven't lost my job or gone broke, and my bills get paid (mostly) on time. I am well liked at work, just won an award with a cash bonus, have a sweet and loving girlfriend, blah, blah and blah. The point is, it's not too hard to be a decent person and get what you want out of life, but feeling sorry for yourself, making excuses and expecting others to clean up all your messes and bail you out when you fuck up is not the way to do it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 09:00:03 PM by Dylboz »
Religion is metaphysical statism. I will be ruled by no man on earth, nor by any god in heaven.

Please check out my blog!
Dylboznia

Harry Tuttle

• Please don't feed the elitists
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2008, 02:59:17 PM »

I'm announcing a new test. Forget about this whole blue feather nonsense. I'm going to spend time every day thinking about $1,000 bills. I will post on this thread every time I come across a $1,000 bill.

"If you're giving up your freedom to have freedom you don't have freedom, dummy."              - Mark Edge (10/11/08 show)

Dylboz

• What a deal! A few bucks a month makes me an
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • Only Anarcho-Capitalism is consistent with the NAP
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2008, 03:22:20 PM »

I 'm announcing a new test. Forget about this whole blue feather nonsense.  I 'm going to spend time every day thinking about $1,000 bills.  I  will post on this thread every time  I  come across a $1,000 bill.

Excellent. There's a test I can take seriously. Something I'd like to create in my life, if only to trade for durable goods and gold and silver coins.
Religion is metaphysical statism. I will be ruled by no man on earth, nor by any god in heaven.

Please check out my blog!
Dylboznia

Blackie

« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2008, 05:37:47 PM »

The Universe turned off the check engine light in my car after I asked it to.

I also found a copy of "the secret" in my house, and read a few pages. What a bunch of crap.

Blackie

« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2008, 05:40:52 PM »

If you can get past teh channeling stuff, this iz better than "teh Secret":

http://abraham-hicks.com/YouTubeLOA.php
http://abraham-hicks.com/mp3downloads.php
If you can get past the god stuff, you should check out the Bible.

Blackie

« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2008, 05:42:08 PM »

No, teh message iz "Give me ur money and I'll teach you magic!"

Except info iz available free. 
just pay shipping and handling

(delivery & processing only $7 to US addresses)

Bella

« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2008, 01:24:19 AM »

Regardless of whether you think it's bullshit or not, where is the HARM in thinking positive?
I have been an optimist my entire life and I've had a LOT of things happen to me that should have caused me to stray from that path.  But I won't.  I didn't do it then and I won't do it now and I won't do it, no matter what life throws at me.

I find it so much more effective to be positive and continue to think about that, rather than the what ifs.
Negativity spreads so much faster than positivity and that is NOT the ripple effect I'd like to have.

I find it to be interesting that the more I get to know about Libertarians I find a lot of them to be very cynical and pessimistic.  I don't really know why this shocks me so much.  I guess I had just assumed that when I found other people who had similar political beliefs, such as myself, that they would be similar in other respects too.  I would have hopped to find people who reflected as much positivity in themselves, as of the change they wanted to make.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Law of Attraction

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.