Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  it b called Ebonics!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: it b called Ebonics!  (Read 13479 times)

CaL DaVe

• No hay igual.
  • Que onda guero?
    • View Profile
Re: it b called Ebonics!
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 06:41:19 PM »

I fuckin' can't stand George Lopez.  I think he annoys me more than Mencia, which is theoretically impossible.  

Is there a spanglish word for a latino dude who acts way too latino, or have they not yet realized thats a travesty?

Your question is silly. Too latino? You must not know very many frist generation latinos.

If he can turn it on and off, which he can, its an act.  He is no more admirable than Larry The Cable Guy is to white people.  Guys like him and LarryTCG exaggerate social and racial stereotypes, which serves as role examples to the slow witted of the audience who think its cool or funny to emulate.  

I know four 1st gen Latinos.  The two professional ones hate shit like that.  Just met a fifth one the other day.  Ex-military, smart.  Wanna know what I noticed?  The more intelligent ones don't act all Latin Loco.  Isn't that fascinating?

No one said it wasn't an act, its comedy for crying out loud. All that matters is if it makes you laugh or not. All I'm saying is that you may not get all the jokes because it isn't your culture. And it may be a culture you have never seen before. All the people in the audience are not laughing because they don't know what he is talking about, there is truth in his comedy. Now that you are making me think about it, I don't even know how a white person could even watch his comedy. There seems to be a lot of inside jokes that I wouldn't think a white person would get.

Your description of your acquaintances is likely correct. Just try to understand this, if one is a professional (as I am) you live in two very different worlds. A business world which contains mostly white people, and your close family and friends of the same cultural background. Of course, I'm not 100% positive, but I imagine the Latinos you know put a different face on for you than they do at home. So you get the less "Latin Loco" version as you call it. I think it is only natural. As for me, I have discussions on internet forums differently depending on where I am. If i'm here, I write in my business tone, if i'm in a Chicano forum, I write in Spanglish.  Also, I seriously have two different english accents and manurisms(sp?) I use when talking at work and when I'm at home.  The one I use at home with friends and family you would likely call "Latin Loco" It is the intelligent Latinos like your acquaintances that realize that in order to get ahead and make peace with the dual cultures they live in, they have to be able to turn it on and off.
Pocho

CaL DaVe

• No hay igual.
  • Que onda guero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 06:48:19 PM »

You probably dislike him because you don’t understand a lot of the jokes. He is coming from a completely different cultural background than you. You have to remember that unlike other minorities, there is a fresh influx of immigrants from latin American countries which refresh the latino culture in the U.S. constantly. And that is the world he is coming from, probably something that is really far removed from your everyday life so you think he is being too latino. But, he is actually spot on with a lot of his jokes in regard to Latino culture in the U.S. Sometimes I do act like what he portrays on stage and I always know exactly what he is talking about.  Most of his jokes describe people who are of the first generation born in America who have to synchronize the two cultures. I’m not saying everyone is like that, but he picks up on the idiosyncrasies very well, and they are all funny to watch all at once.  For me at least.

As for calling people white, it is what you would expect from a comedian whose material is culturally/racially based. When the jokes are told so only one culture can understand them, you are going to get an us and them mentality.

LOL.  We white idiots don't understand!  Anton understands, because he likes it well enough.  Or does he sit there laughing at shit he doesn't understand?

Sorry, bro.  But its not all that fuckin' deep.  

Who said anything about idiots? I'm arguing against the fact that you called him too Latino.
Pocho

Changed My Mind

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2009, 08:47:09 PM »

racist comedians who use their race or someone else's to be their entire act seem to play to a niche market.  That works.  I tend to like those comedians that break out of that small demographic.   Sometimes it's hard to tell. . . I test it by turning on the comedian, and if he mentions his race in the first 10 minutes then I realize he's just working his crowd. 

there's just so much funny stuff.  I don't really get why more and more comedians seem to be going for this tactic (besides the obvious $)

AngryHateMusic

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 09:08:03 PM »

Your description of your acquaintances is likely correct. Just try to understand this, if one is a professional (as I am) you live in two very different worlds. A business world which contains mostly white people, and your close family and friends of the same cultural background. Of course, I'm not 100% positive, but I imagine the Latinos you know put a different face on for you than they do at home. So you get the less "Latin Loco" version as you call it. I think it is only natural. As for me, I have discussions on internet forums differently depending on where I am. If i'm here, I write in my business tone, if i'm in a Chicano forum, I write in Spanglish.  Also, I seriously have two different english accents and manurisms(sp?) I use when talking at work and when I'm at home.  The one I use at home with friends and family you would likely call "Latin Loco" It is the intelligent Latinos like your acquaintances that realize that in order to get ahead and make peace with the dual cultures they live in, they have to be able to turn it on and off.

Yo u b da multi-culture supahero S'ay. Congratulations on being so diverse, although I just see a fake. You certainly put effort into making it a reality. When I play with different colored legos I don't talk to them differently.

CaL DaVe

• No hay igual.
  • Que onda guero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2009, 09:25:37 PM »

racist comedians who use their race or someone else's to be their entire act seem to play to a niche market.  That works.  I tend to like those comedians that break out of that small demographic.   Sometimes it's hard to tell. . . I test it by turning on the comedian, and if he mentions his race in the first 10 minutes then I realize he's just working his crowd. 

there's just so much funny stuff.  I don't really get why more and more comedians seem to be going for this tactic (besides the obvious $)

You make a good point. The niche market is the key.
Pocho

CaL DaVe

• No hay igual.
  • Que onda guero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2009, 09:36:42 PM »

Yo u b da multi-culture supahero S'ay. Congratulations on being so diverse, although I just see a fake. You certainly put effort into making it a reality. When I play with different colored legos I don't talk to them differently.

Yeah I am a fake, and so is everyone else. You know you don't talk to women the same way you talk to a man, nor do you talk to your boss the same way you talk to your subordinates. You have to know your audiance, and if the audiances are really different from each other, you have to treat them different.

Talk to all your legos the same and you won't see that you are not suppose to talk to legos dummy, you are suppose to see how they are different and use them to build what you want.
Pocho

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2009, 10:21:28 PM »

Just try to understand this, if one is a professional (as I am) you live in two very different worlds. A business world which contains mostly white people, and your close family and friends of the same cultural background. Of course, I'm not 100% positive, but I imagine the Latinos you know put a different face on for you than they do at home. So you get the less "Latin Loco" version as you call it. I think it is only natural. As for me, I have discussions on internet forums differently depending on where I am. If i'm here, I write in my business tone, if i'm in a Chicano forum, I write in Spanglish.  

Here's my question, and it's an honest one:  Why not just speak English in some situations and Spanish in others?  I mean, I can understand slipping from one to another from time to time, but doing it deliberately just seems odd. 

Bill Brasky

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2009, 10:23:23 PM »

You probably dislike him because you don’t understand a lot of the jokes. He is coming from a completely different cultural background than you. You have to remember that unlike other minorities, there is a fresh influx of immigrants from latin American countries which refresh the latino culture in the U.S. constantly. And that is the world he is coming from, probably something that is really far removed from your everyday life so you think he is being too latino. But, he is actually spot on with a lot of his jokes in regard to Latino culture in the U.S. Sometimes I do act like what he portrays on stage and I always know exactly what he is talking about.  Most of his jokes describe people who are of the first generation born in America who have to synchronize the two cultures. I’m not saying everyone is like that, but he picks up on the idiosyncrasies very well, and they are all funny to watch all at once.  For me at least.

As for calling people white, it is what you would expect from a comedian whose material is culturally/racially based. When the jokes are told so only one culture can understand them, you are going to get an us and them mentality.

LOL.  We white idiots don't understand!  Anton understands, because he likes it well enough.  Or does he sit there laughing at shit he doesn't understand?

Sorry, bro.  But its not all that fuckin' deep.  

Who said anything about idiots? I'm arguing against the fact that you called him too Latino.

Him and Mencia, if they didn't have the ethnic thing working, they'd have nothing.  I don't know how many times I sat here and watched Mencia or Lopez, and thought to myself "Thank fucking god I'm not hispanic".  They make a complete fucking mockery out of it, it must totally suck to have someone flash "mencia" through their head when they meet you.  

I like women, but I don't care to hear those activist psychobitches trashing men for an hour.  I like black people, but some of their comedians and other celebs portray them in such an unflattering light, its no wonder they get the shit-end of the stick.  The only one I can think of that really makes an effort to NOT trash the "opposition" is Chappelle.  He's got class.  When he jokes about white people, he makes it positive.  The rest of 'em, they put whitey as the butt of jokes like The Boss, or The Stiff Nerd.  I'm white, doh-de-doh-de-doh.  Dur, white!  Hahaha, funny.  JUst once, I'd like to see a white comedian portray blacks or hispanics as really, unflatteringly stupid or lazy.  You know, the real stereotype they're likely to get pissed at.  (Chappelle to the rescue, he's the only one, again, that shows that unflattering stereotype on his own people and makes it hit the mark - where people wouldn't want to be perceived as that).  

The people who are lucky enough to gain media attention and be identified ethnically should be very sensitive to their rendering of the background they have.  They make it look shallow and stupid, and it tarnishes the whole.  Look at Carlos Santana.  He's in touch with his identity.  I would want to know that guy.  Mencia, I wouldn't swerve to avoid with a car.  He's a dickhead.  

I've seen funny hispanic comedians - Cheech and Chong were funny as hell.  And I've laughed at a few things Lopez and Mencia have said.  But overall, they are clownish, and I think a lot more people would be attracted to the act and thus get the message if they didn't ruin it with their histrionics.  They are professional comedians, they must have a billion jokes they can do.  But nope, its the same tired shit over and over and over and over and over.  Us, them, us, them.  Then, they get pissed when they get grouped.  Motherfuckers, you grouped yo'sef.  

Thinking about this stuff, I keep going back to Pryor.  He went to Africa and didn't see one single nigger.  His words, not mine.  Smartest fucking one-liner I ever heard anybody say about race.  

Bill Brasky

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2009, 10:31:47 PM »

Just try to understand this, if one is a professional (as I am) you live in two very different worlds. A business world which contains mostly white people, and your close family and friends of the same cultural background. Of course, I'm not 100% positive, but I imagine the Latinos you know put a different face on for you than they do at home. So you get the less "Latin Loco" version as you call it. I think it is only natural. As for me, I have discussions on internet forums differently depending on where I am. If i'm here, I write in my business tone, if i'm in a Chicano forum, I write in Spanglish.  

Here's my question, and it's an honest one:  Why not just speak English in some situations and Spanish in others?  I mean, I can understand slipping from one to another from time to time, but doing it deliberately just seems odd. 

I'm sure Dave will provide a better answer, but sometimes they like to exclude the gringos.  Tell 'em with a big bright smile you hablo a poco espanol.  They won't chatter around you so much. 

AngryHateMusic

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2009, 10:55:13 PM »

Yeah I am a fake, and so is everyone else. You know you don't talk to women the same way you talk to a man, nor do you talk to your boss the same way you talk to your subordinates. You have to know your audiance, and if the audiances are really different from each other, you have to treat them different.

Talk to all your legos the same and you won't see that you are not suppose to talk to legos dummy, you are suppose to see how they are different and use them to build what you want.

Yes, you are a fake.

CaL DaVe

• No hay igual.
  • Que onda guero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2009, 11:16:36 PM »

Honestly, I don't know. But one can be more efficient using smaller words from each language to get the point across faster. My only way of reasoning it is the fact that some latinos live in two different cultures at the same time, and they syncronise the two lauguages much like they syncronise their lives.(I know that sounds real deep but it what I have experienced.) Of course there are always different experiences, but this is the case for a lot of them. Spanglish is just the way that some people talk, and one just picks it up if you are around each other long enough. Kind of like slang I guess. Or a hand slap and knuckles with a buddy instead of a handshake. Makes you one of the cool kids.
Pocho

CaL DaVe

• No hay igual.
  • Que onda guero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2009, 11:23:16 PM »

I'm sure Dave will provide a better answer, but sometimes they like to exclude the gringos.  Tell 'em with a big bright smile you hablo a poco espanol.  They won't chatter around you so much. 

Brasky is right, sometimes people speak spanish to hide they are talking shit about you. I don't think there is anything new here. Except that they won't usually speak Spanglish, they will speak pure Spanish... if they can.

To make it more convincing tell them "Yo hablo un poco espanol" or "Yo intiendo un poco espanol"
Pocho

CaL DaVe

• No hay igual.
  • Que onda guero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2009, 11:23:45 PM »

Yes, you are a fake.

ok
Pocho

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2009, 11:26:25 PM »

Here's my question, and it's an honest one:  Why not just speak English in some situations and Spanish in others?  I mean, I can understand slipping from one to another from time to time, but doing it deliberately just seems odd.  

I'm sure Dave will provide a better answer, but sometimes they like to exclude the gringos.  Tell 'em with a big bright smile you hablo a poco espanol.  They won't chatter around you so much.  

Estoy una gringa que habla un poco Spanglish, gracias.  No entiendo mucho español, verdad, pero cuando alguien escribes en español, es mas fácil a leer y comprender.  Mi novio es muy mejor, así normalmente el hablas.  

CaL DaVe

• No hay igual.
  • Que onda guero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2009, 11:38:57 PM »

No entiendo mucho español, verdad, pero cuando alguien escribes en español, es mas fácil a leer y comprender.  

Je suis le meme avec le Francais.
Pocho
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  it b called Ebonics!

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 32 queries.