Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  It's Wednesday...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: It's Wednesday...  (Read 4153 times)

Scott in Winnipeg

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
It's Wednesday...
« on: October 14, 2009, 02:47:19 PM »

... and Wayne will be on tonight. I wonder what non-science, anti-science, pseudo-science crap he will spout tonight? I should just stop listening to Wednesday show and save me the headache, becasue my brain hurts when he starts talking about medicine.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
Re: It's Wednesday...
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 03:17:21 PM »

+1
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 03:22:40 PM »

Wayne is an amazing, laid-back, REALLY friendly, awesome dude.
Who unfortunately buys into all the "vaccines are poison" bunkum. :-|
While I agree that exercise and good diet will prevent many afflictions, and even cure some, and home remedies & herbs may help a lot of conditions as well, at the end of the day if you get cancer or a bug-that-will-hurt-you-bad or a broken leg, go the scientific route, ya know?

Scott in Winnipeg

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 03:31:38 PM »

Yes, I should say that I enjoy Wayne's contribution to the show, except in this one area, which has pre-disposed me somewhat to being on edge when I listen to him.

davann

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 04:14:37 PM »

I like Wayne and the alternative ideas he brings up in relation to health.

With the current system of health care submitting oneself to it should be the last resort. Just like any large organization the health care complex has become corrupt.

Scott in Winnipeg

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 04:32:12 PM »

I like alternatives if they are based on science. Wayne has advocated homeopathy on the show, homeopathy is sugar pills, water drops and magic.

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 05:17:17 PM »

homeopathy is sugar pills, water drops and magic. (*)

(*) DISCLAIMER: magic not included

Changed My Mind

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 05:54:45 PM »

in other news, lobotomies are now considered safe, again.

"it's science, how could it possibly be wrong?"

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 06:01:08 PM »

Sorry, but the vaccine fascists lose the argument from practicality.  If vaccines work for them and their families, they don't have to worry about those who decide they don't want them--you know--liberty?

BTW, I'm as neutral on the actual issue as possible.  I don't usually get the flu vaccine, but I'm not particularly against vaccines.  I'm just glad I don't have to deal with the issue on behalf of kids.

fatcat

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 06:11:40 PM »

Sorry, but the vaccine fascists lose the argument from practicality.  If vaccines work for them and their families, they don't have to worry about those who decide they don't want them--you know--liberty?

BTW, I'm as neutral on the actual issue as possible.  I don't usually get the flu vaccine, but I'm not particularly against vaccines.  I'm just glad I don't have to deal with the issue on behalf of kids.

flu vaccine = not very important except for old people

polio, small pox, MMR, vaccines have saved millions of peoples lives,and spared millions more from disability.

Vaccines are also some of the only viable treatments for certain diseases like Tetanus and Rabies (which kill very easily if left untreated)

The reason why so many scientifically minded people are evangelical about vaccines is because the advantages are enormous compared to the risks, and the scare stories made by unscientific anti-vax people are at danger of persuading people who don't have the time or interest to persue the factual basis for these claims to avoid getting vaccinations.

the fraction of people who are harmed and killed by vaccines is a minuscule risk and its entirely dumb to think its a meaningful one. In some cases seat belts and airbags can kill where not wearing them won't, but it doesn't mean wearing a seatbelt is an extremely safe way to protect yourself.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 06:14:58 PM by fatcat »

Changed My Mind

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 06:25:06 PM »

some people will put pure shit in their body if someone in a white coat spouts off some statistics and claims that it can cure you or save you.  No questioning, no reasoning, no logic, no independent thought.

in the end, it shouldn't really matter. . . if the vaccines you believe in like Jesus work so well, then get them.   You deal with the consequences.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 06:38:02 PM »

Sorry, but the vaccine fascists lose the argument from practicality.  If vaccines work for them and their families, they don't have to worry about those who decide they don't want them--you know--liberty?

BTW, I'm as neutral on the actual issue as possible.  I don't usually get the flu vaccine, but I'm not particularly against vaccines.  I'm just glad I don't have to deal with the issue on behalf of kids.

flu vaccine = not very important except for old people

polio, small pox, MMR, vaccines have saved millions of peoples lives,and spared millions more from disability.

Vaccines are also some of the only viable treatments for certain diseases like Tetanus and Rabies (which kill very easily if left untreated)

The reason why so many scientifically minded people are evangelical about vaccines is because the advantages are enormous compared to the risks, and the scare stories made by unscientific anti-vax people are at danger of persuading people who don't have the time or interest to persue the factual basis for these claims to avoid getting vaccinations.

the fraction of people who are harmed and killed by vaccines is a minuscule risk and its entirely dumb to think its a meaningful one. In some cases seat belts and airbags can kill where not wearing them won't, but it doesn't mean wearing a seatbelt is an extremely safe way to protect yourself.

It really bothers me when one side of a politicized issue claims to own the science.  The "there's no debate" people do true science injustice.  Once more, I'm not committed to either opinion, but I'm for people being free to be wrong, as long as it doesn't constitute enslavement of others.  This is not to say you would enslave them, but I tend to back away from support of the side that is inclined toward that.

Changed My Mind

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 07:27:34 PM »

I wouldn't care so much about the 'praise all vaccines' crowd if the majority that I've met haven't been for mandatory vaccinations for me or my kids.

using force on those who are attacking you with a needle is justified.  My body, my fucking choice.

Scott in Winnipeg

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 10:31:10 AM »

I wouldn't care so much about the 'praise all vaccines' crowd if the majority that I've met haven't been for mandatory vaccinations for me or my kids.

using force on those who are attacking you with a needle is justified.  My body, my fucking choice.

Liberty minded people aren't that way generally.

gibson042

• Non-Aggression Principal since 2006
    • View Profile
    • gibson.mp
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 01:33:34 PM »

in other news, lobotomies are now considered safe, again.

"it's science, how could it possibly be wrong?"

The sad reality is that most practical medicine (as opposed to academic research) is not scientific.
"WOOOOOP  WOOOOOP  WOOOOP EH EH EH EH HHHEEEOOOO HEEEOOOOO" —Rillion
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  It's Wednesday...

// ]]>

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 31 queries.