Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Hot topic on the show lately: Chris Cantwell
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hot topic on the show lately: Chris Cantwell  (Read 2936 times)

ElGuapo

• View Profile
Hot topic on the show lately: Chris Cantwell
« on: September 06, 2013, 11:12:31 AM »

As I've heard about this situation it keeps reminding me of the legal precedence for the expectation of moderation or censorship once a business has engaged in moderation or censorship - a topic in my Cyberlaw class a few years ago.

It occurs to me that; now that the Free State Project (FSP) Board has removed Chris Cantwell as a participant and declared him "unwelcome to attend FSP-organized events", they may have unwittingly creating a blueprint for the marginalization of the FSP.

By taking action against Chris Cantwell for his written views that the "FSP Board believes [...] exceeds the right of self-defense," they may have opened themselves up to the legal expectation that they have adopted an editorial process for vetting the written brain-droppings of FSP participants.

The risk being that; if the FSP does not now condemn all written rhetoric that the FSP could be reasonably expected to have knowledge of and would deem detrimental to the accomplishment of the Free State Project's goals, failure to take action commensurate to that taken against Cantwell could be legally interpreted as tacit endorsement of said writings.

This method of associating the FSP with written rhetoric of FSP Participants could be an effective attack vector exploitable by anyone wishing to discredit the FSP because anyone can become an FSP Participant and if they want to claim the FSP is an organization of domestic boogeymen (boogeypeople?) - they just have to get one on the inside and then exploit that participant status to then have 'evidence' which supports previous claims such as those made on the bearcat application.

Am I paranoid? Is there something I'm missing that should prevent this from happening?

Quoted stuff from: http://freestateproject.org/blogs/september-2013-board-meeting-minutes

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
Re: Hot topic on the show lately: Chris Cantwell
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 11:17:06 AM »

It's a good point.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 11:36:43 AM »

Ski Killington

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 02:19:40 PM »

Ylisium

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 09:50:21 PM »

At best, it's collectivist thinking and an example of why I'm still on the fence with the FSP.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 09:40:38 PM »

I hadn't put any thought into it before reading this, and I think it's a great take.

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 09:58:24 PM »

I don't think it's going to cause such a problem.  If someone tries to say the FSP endorses view X or Y because some FSP participant said it, then the board could take action to denounce the statements and possibly remove the person as a participant as they did in this case.  It seems that for this to do more harm than good, there would have to be a situation where someone says this kind of crap, it gets picked up by people hostile to the FSP and the news, and the board does nothing about it or somehow doesn't hear about it and allows the story to go unchecked.  As soon as they're aware, they can take action.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Hot topic on the show lately: Chris Cantwell

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 31 queries.