Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  FTL is becoming anti-science
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: FTL is becoming anti-science  (Read 19546 times)

gibson042

• Non-Aggression Principal since 2006
    • View Profile
    • gibson.mp
Re: FTL is becoming anti-science
« Reply #105 on: January 01, 2010, 10:05:57 PM »

I don't know what gibson thought was nationalistic, but what I thought was nationalistic was that he placed a lot of emphasis on how it should be an American who solves the climate change problem because America is the country of innovation, blah de blah.  If climate change really is a problem to be solved, I don't see why it matters who solves it.  Innovation isn't a soccer game.  People solving problems is a good thing regardless of where they're doing it. 

Exactly.  He called the problem global, and then immediately began cheerleading for America, blessed land of Thomas Jefferson and patents and innovation, to be home country for all people and all work pertaining to the solution.  And brought up the specter of energy-supplying foreigners doing things with "our" money that we might not want them to (as if that isn't also a problem within the United States).  And basically argued for total economic isolation.

He's a much better "Science Guy" than "Politics Guy".
"WOOOOOP  WOOOOOP  WOOOOP EH EH EH EH HHHEEEOOOO HEEEOOOOO" —Rillion

spicynujac

• Fasism Sucks!
    • View Profile
Re: FTL is becoming anti-science
« Reply #106 on: January 04, 2010, 02:16:15 AM »

Well, if he said this on his TV show, it *IS* an American show, so he would be speaking to Americans.  I'm just saying that sometimes people get caught up in using certain language.  It's a little odd though because usually scientists are much more "stateless" people than your average citizen.  IE astronauts (unless they are military) look at their fellow cosmonauts and others from all over the world as fellow space travelers, and don't see any differences.  And people like Darwin could care less if you were born on one or the other side of an imaginary line.  Scientists rarely speak in terms of political entities; they usually speak in fact and logic.

I remember the first thing they teach you in public speaking is know your audience.  If you are speaking to Americans, and you want to get them to solve a problem, you will probably have success if you appeal to certain American features like Thomas Jefferson, etc.  ESPECIALLY if you are talking to the masses and not free thinking libertarians who make decisions based on ideas, not emotions.  It's one thing to appeal to a certain demographic when you are talking to them.  It is another to say that something is the responsibility of one nationality or sex or race or political subdivision alone.  It's not clear to me that Nye was doing the latter.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  FTL is becoming anti-science

// ]]>

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 32 queries.