Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Enough Derek J Already!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Enough Derek J Already!  (Read 19990 times)

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Enough Derek J Already!
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2012, 02:59:47 PM »

Oh, come on.  You've got a "Derek J segment" just about every day.  It's not about "taking calls" and you know it.  

Maybe you don't listen to FTL or maybe you are just being hyperbolic.  I don't remember the last call from Derrick - probably been at least a week.

We'll take calls from anyone about pretty much anything.  We say that every night, multiple times.  Go ahead and give it a try.

You're skirting the issue, pretending what you've been doing is "taking calls."  You're promoting the most scandalous form of activism you can market and we all know it.  It's not like people haven't told you this.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2012, 03:03:11 PM »

Well, what was it?

It?  I've called in probably a dozen times.  I sent a "tax bill" in enclosed in epoxy.  I got myself arrested insisting on not "just shutting up" after being kept in the cold without a jacket on a DUI stop in which I obviously wasn't drunk.  I insisted on not opening my car for a search on another occasion and waited for the fucking drug dog to scratch up my car to find nothing, because there was nothing there.  I've reported from 420 events.  I've called in about my medical use of cannabis.  

You managed to remember me as a "drama queen" when I sent you a two page email about the bullshit going on in Keene and suspended my amp for about 9 months, then resumed it later for more money after you calmed that shit down.  I don't get understand the amnesia act.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 03:07:26 PM by What's the frequency, Kenneth? »

FTL_Ian

• Professional Iconoclast
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2012, 03:16:09 PM »

I remember the epoxy thing.  I know who you are online, but not necessarily when you call.

Also, I report on all exceptional activism happening in my purview.  You just don't like some of it.  And to suggest that we don't take calls from anyone is just paranoid.

I'm promoting Derrick J's activism because he's a doer and he's my friend and co-host.  Maybe if you lived here and were doing activism that would get talked about too.

In the last two weeks we've talked about the Biden event and the Memorial day protest.  Are those offensive to you too?
Please support the show by joining the AMP program at http//amp.freetalklive.com

I blog at http://freekeene.com

FTL_Ian

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2012, 03:25:00 PM »

Obviously when you do as much activism as I and my friends and associates do, you're going to offend someone.  It's just how it goes.  Here's Ridley's opinion:

Annoying Keene crazies probably do more good than harm
Please support the show by joining the AMP program at http//amp.freetalklive.com

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2012, 09:25:49 PM »

I remember the epoxy thing.  I know who you are online, but not necessarily when you call.

Also, I report on all exceptional activism happening in my purview.  You just don't like some of it.  And to suggest that we don't take calls from anyone is just paranoid.

I'm promoting Derrick J's activism because he's a doer and he's my friend and co-host.  Maybe if you lived here and were doing activism that would get talked about too.

In the last two weeks we've talked about the Biden event and the Memorial day protest.  Are those offensive to you too?

I never suggested you "don't take calls form from anyone."  Where did that come from?  You're actively marketing Derek J.  Stop pretending you aren't.  This "victimless crime spree" is cute, and I get it, but the vast majority of people don't, and they're not thinking it's funny.

"Offensive?"  This is your problem.  You project on people what you *think* they are griping about without actually paying fucking attention.  That makes people angry.  As I said before, it's your pushing of "stunts" that's the problem.  I can take them or leave them, in general, but your greater audience is gonna leave them.  I simply ask myself "Why am I supporting this?"
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 09:30:01 PM by What's the frequency, Kenneth? »

FTL_Ian

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2012, 10:38:21 PM »

I'm just asking - are those stunts?  What about walking with peace signs in a parade?

I never know what is going to upset people - I just talk about everything I think is interesting that's happening here. 

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2012, 01:12:10 AM »

Read: the Dance Party and Cannabis arrests that started it all.

The Dance Party was the wrong thing to do.  Hopefully he learned his lesson and doesn't try to pull that stunt again.

Should he have been arrested the way he was?  No.  However, a better question is should he be rewarded for making mistakes?  Or perhaps, is it worth hurting your show to reward him for making mistakes?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 01:13:57 AM by One two three »
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2012, 01:22:42 AM »

I'm just asking - are those stunts?  What about walking with peace signs in a parade?

It would be interesting if people did something like that.  Anyway, I try to help activists understand what potentially could upset people but some activists don't seem to care.

The military, and especially fallen war heros are the most respected members/institution in the US.  This is pretty well known by people that think about such things.  Perhaps I've failed to get this info in front of new folks.  I'm bump the thread.

http://forum.shiresociety.com/general-discussion/trust-in-major-institutions-survey-results/

Activism 101
Have a goal(s) to use a message(s) to reach an audience(s).
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

FTL_Ian

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2012, 11:25:09 AM »

What was wrong with the dance party?  The only people it disturbed was Keene Police.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2012, 08:59:27 AM »

I never know what is going to upset people - I just talk about everything I think is interesting that's happening here. 

I don't know what "those" refers to.  I've got no problem with peace signs AT a parade.  I'd suggest it's counterproductively "in your face" to try to be PART of their parade.  It's not "wrong," it just annoys people you should want to persuade, making persuasion far less likely.  The italicized comment really summarizes the whole issue.

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2012, 01:49:47 PM »

Please fund Derrick J Freeman's self-imposed Year in Exile Tour.  Please give money for Derrick to leave New Hampshire and travel around.  Derrick will be looking to record activism that other people do in every place except New Hampshire.  Hopefully, we can fully fund this trip.  The more you can give, the better.  Please consider stopping drinking and smoking to help raise money for this non-New Hampshire activism tour.  Derrick cannot smoke or drink in jail so this will better help you understand his situation.

https://www.wepay.com/donations/exile-activism-tour

Information

After serving a 75-105 day sentence in jail for his victimless crime spree, DerrickJ will be in self-imposed exile from the Shire and touring the continent in search of exciting activism.

Are you already getting active for the cause of liberty? Perhaps you're part of a liberty community. I want to travel to you and report on the cool ideas and projects that you're working on. I'll be using agorist cabs whenever possible, but I'll need some money for Greyhound busses, too.

While on the road, I'll be producing one video per day covering the status of my trip. I'll also be producing an episode of Fr33 Agents Radio News, your 5-minute update on the peaceful resistance happening around the globe, 5 days a week. Finally, I will also produce a once-a-week higher quality update highlighting the most exciting activism in my current local area. All of these videos and podcasts will include space for advertisements for your liberty organization.

Specific details about my route and agenda will be listed at LiveFreeOrDance.comand FreeKeene.comas they develop. The trip will be finalized in late July, when I am released from jail. Thank you for supporting liberty activism with your investment today.

PC Harris

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2012, 04:20:52 PM »

I've never posted here before, but I've been a listener of the show for several years and I'd like to throw my two cents in concerning FTL's declining podcast downloads, and FK activism. I don't generally like to criticize for criticism's sake, and I certainly don't want to be mean, or underestimate the value of 'doing', as Ian likes to say. However, I feel that FTL is indeed heading in a really unfortunate direction. I hope the following will be taken as it is meant, that is, as constructive criticism from a non FSP regular listener's perspective.

I currently listen to the show a lot less and turn off the podcast before it is over much more often than I used to. There are two primary reasons for this. First, Ian seems to be becoming quite insular, such that his arguments all orient around a network of catchphrases that only make sense to other libertarians of his particular strain, but leave other listeners befuddled. Saying this like "the state doesn't exist" or "the state is the most successful criminal gang" is not only a) seemingly contradictory, but b) completely inaccessible when it lacks explanation or qualification. Imagine listening to a democrat or republican talk about the nature of politics, and trying to understand them, if you were not already intimately familiar with the structure of assumptions and cultural biases that they were working from. For libertarians, this approach is boring in the same way that hearing a bunch of philosophically ungrounded cliches over and over again would be boring to anyone familiar with them. It is not thought provoking. For non-libertarians, it is boring because it doesn't make any sense within the context of their cultural reality. They are either severely mistranslating what is being said so that they can make sense of it, or they are just registering it as gibberish and moving on. That is a really bad combination of effects, because it puts a shelf life on regular listeners, and bars the attraction of new one's.

The second reason that I have been curtailing my listening is that, in my opinion, the caliber of guest host has declined precipitously. Ian and Mark have a great dynamic together, but it seems as though they have no screening process or standards whatsoever when it comes to choosing the people who will sit in the guest chairs. At this point pretty much all of the regular guests with the wonderful exceptions of Stephanie and Brad come off as bumbling, inarticulate, and imprecise 'thinkers'/speakers. It is hard to listen to someone when it is obvious that they don't even clearly understand what they are trying to say, or when what they are saying is so painfully obvious that it hurts to listen to how difficult it is for them to spit it out. The co-hosts used to be people like Gardner Goldsmith, Dale Everett, and Sam Dodson--thoughtful people who had interesting, unexpected, and unique things to say about issues, even if disagreeable. No more.

The other issue I wanted to touch upon was FK civil disobedience. CD can be an extremely effective means for change, if it is done with a mind for strategy, and if it is backed up by a rigorous intellectual tradition. Ian's point that you can't please everybody is, of course, well taken. However, people who argue that CD must be intelligently employed, such that it is generally persuasive are not suggesting that any activism that doesn't please everyone is inherently bad activism. CD is a form of communication. Its point, as I understand it, is to highlight a meaningful contradiction between two strongly held moral convictions. That is to say, the role of CD, where it concerns the state, is to find an activity that the state either de-facto or de-jure prohibits, but that people believe very strongly should not be prohibited, and then to publicly engage in that activity so that the state will use violence where the people in general believe it has no right to do so. The point is to challenge people's allegiance to the state by appealing to a more strongly held moral conviction, to make them choose one or the other. Of course, CD cuts both ways. This is why just DOING activism without proper forethought and reflection is massively more dangerous and counterproductive to the forward momentum of the ideas of liberty than not doing anything at all, especially when it comes to CD. Since CD is in every instance a pitting of contradictory ideas against one another, it always runs the risk of backfiring, that is, reinforcing people's allegiance to the state, and alienating them from the ideas and issues of liberty. Activism that does not persuade a large enough segment of the population of its righteousness is even ineffectual in promoting liberty to people who would otherwise be quite amenable to it, simply because taking a stand on its behalf is too socially isolating. Also, and this is a side point, it is understandable why FK activism, which seems to value 'doing' over thinking, is so threatening to many other FSP members. Everything you do affects everyone's prospects for achieving liberty positively or negatively, and randomly throwing shit at the wall, hoping that something will stick is extremely disrespectful of that fact.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2012, 04:33:52 PM »

Well said, PCH, and I'm not just saying that because you mentioned me in a relatively positive context.

On my show, I try to speak largely in liberaleze, as that is a significant target audience for FF, and then give the libertarian perspective. I still cringe now and then when my co-hosts start to speak in libertarianeze which I know is going to be misunderstood but I just do my best to explain it when it comes up.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2012, 11:13:09 PM »

Keep posting here with your wisdom Harris!
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2012, 12:26:54 AM »

Harris for President 2016!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Enough Derek J Already!

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.