Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Conformity Experiments
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Conformity Experiments  (Read 4227 times)

AngryHateMusic

Conformity Experiments
« on: July 31, 2009, 12:09:25 PM »

Ian mentions in the FTL2009-07-30 broadcast, conformity testing.

I believe he was referring to the ASCH "Conformity" Experiment 1955 in which subjects select the longest line length, this example of majority influence over an individual is simple and telling. 

Another and more interesting case is the Milgram "Obedience" Experiment 1963 in which they led people to beleive they were delivering electric shocks to subjects that answerred incorrectly. See just how much hurt an individual will inflict when "just following orders".

Zappa88

Re: Conformity Experiments
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 01:58:39 PM »

I think Julia mentioned that she didn't think she'd fall for the conformity trick.

Yeah, the vast majority of people say that.

Also: Zimbardo's Prison experiment.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 10:45:10 PM »

Both the shocking and the prison experiments had really wild results.

The people had a much easier time shocking the people, but if they were told a puppy was being hurt? Different results.
Look into the ones where they set three people at a table. Two were planted and one was the mark. The plants would agree to some things that the mark knew were wrong yet the mark went along with it.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 05:40:47 PM »

Still, they need to explain why a few of us simply are "Fuck you" in regards to conformity. And I don't mean the fellas that walk around barefoot talking to themselves along the highway shoulder.
I hear thunder but there's no rain, this kind of thunder breaks walls and window pane

Low-Eight

• The Emancipator
  • Aint no thang but a chicken wing!
    • View Profile
    • Emancipation!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 06:37:31 PM »

Still, they need to explain why a few of us simply are "Fuck you" in regards to conformity. And I don't mean the fellas that walk around barefoot talking to themselves along the highway shoulder.

I would theorize that some of it has to do with the way we were raised.  Many liberty minded people didn't have the most stable childhood, maybe that allows a break from the propaganda?
Feel free to add me to facebook, or contact me on MSN.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 09:50:50 PM »

I would theorize that some of it has to do with the way we were raised.  Many liberty minded people didn't have the most stable childhood, maybe that allows a break from the propaganda?

An unstable childhood seems to be a common theme.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Terror Australis

• Bitcoin Evangelist
  • FTL AMPlifier
  • People cannot be coerced into freedom.
    • View Profile
    • Bitcoin
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 07:44:06 AM »

There was this study into the human herd mentality at leeds university.

http://www.adsavvy.org/understanding-the-human-herd-mentality/
User generated content + bitcoin = http://witcoin.com

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 02:24:46 PM »

I would say my childhood was meh, but nothing to turn into a movie for Lifetime TV special.
I hear thunder but there's no rain, this kind of thunder breaks walls and window pane

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 04:08:22 PM »

An unstable childhood seems to be a common theme.
Not in my case.  It was probably driven (in my case) due to constantly getting smashed over the head by idiot leftist teachers in general ed/English classes.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Evil Muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 11:28:51 PM »

I actually have a book written by the Milgram guy about his experiment. 

If I remember right. 

Most of the people did object, they just went ahead with the experiment anyways. 

A number of them did refuse to go on with the experiments at some point.  I can't remember what the number was but I think it was something like 1/4 or 1/3 refused at some point. 

The rate of compliance was much higher in other countries where similar experiments were conducted.  Germany was something like 80% compliance rates. 

They said that interviews with those people who refused said that they had much stronger moral convictions than those who did not. 
Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

Coconut

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 09:24:20 AM »

My parents were about the most caring I've ever seen. My childhood was fine. Yet I've always been a little "off" the norm as far as actions and thoughts go.

The Champ

• 100% Asshole
  • Giant robots plz.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 11:09:06 AM »

I think Julia mentioned that she didn't think she'd fall for the conformity trick.

Yeah, the vast majority of people say that.

I wish I could say that about myself for sure.  I don't consider myself a conformist, but I  also dislike attracting attention to myself, and I do think that in some cases there is wisdom in avoiding rocking the boat.
EL CHAMPO NUMERO UNO

KDus

• Democracy=fraud
  • Money
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 08:40:03 PM »

From my earliest memories, I recall an aversion to conformity. If it was due to parenting, it happended before about 4 years old.
I was having "problems" within the first couple weeks of Kindergarten. I didn't  feel compelled to ask permission to go to the restroom. I didn't care about the gold stars on the chart and I didn't want to drive the trash-train. Rewards didn't work on me.
I remember taking my own sheet of gold stars. When the teacher offered an "opportunity" to earn a star, I told her I had plenty.
Liberate America!

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 08:47:05 PM »

I think many of us on this board have an aversion to conformity.  I've always argued with my teachers, rabbis, and authority figures if I thought my opinion was better when others would just nod their heads and accept whatever they were told.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 07:03:38 PM »

I think many of us on this board have an aversion to conformity.  I've always argued with my teachers, rabbis, and authority figures if I thought my opinion was better when others would just nod their heads and accept whatever they were told.
Nonconformism is when you have more metal in your face (as piercings) than your car. Arguing with those in positions of power over their stupidity, which you are a direct victim of its results, is simply thinking of yourself. :)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Conformity Experiments

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 32 queries.