Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Car registration
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Car registration  (Read 3712 times)

cheebah

• View Profile
Car registration
« on: October 29, 2011, 10:44:38 AM »

On the last show there was a lot of talk about car registration. Well I have 3 vehicles, only one of which is registered. I had been driving with none of my vehicles registered for over 2 years without a single incident of state intervention. I had finally been pulled over about 2 months ago and the police offer was kind enough to let me go with a warning but put me in the system and said I would be ticketed if I did not register my vehicle. Unfortunately I am in a position (the military) where I have to obey the law so I did register my daily driver. Now this brings me to my point. When the officer pulled me over he needed to find out if I indeed own my vehicle so he had to run my VIN number, which on most vehicles is riveted to the dash. It took him about 2 minutes and of course it came back in my name and he let me go. This made me very angry. If it can be proven with the VIN number that I own the vehicle why do I need to register my vehicle? Why instead of a license plate can I not just display my VIN number? I already have to pay well over $100 for a title transfer and apparently this title is more than enough proof of my ownership of the vehicle. It is simply extortion to force me to "register" my vehicle when titling my vehicle is in fact all the "registration" I need!!!!!!

LTKoblinsky

• View Profile
Re: Car registration
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 12:08:54 AM »

I just moved to NH and my tags are good until April. Can I put off registering until then?

My wife's new site. Covers fashion, motherhood, our journey to NH, and soon activism.

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 01:04:40 AM »

I just moved to NH and my tags are good until April. Can I put off registering until then?

Not legally.  When you move to NH you only have a certain amount of days before you have to register and get inspected in NH.  It is either 30 or 60 days and explained pretty well on the DMV website.
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 12:52:55 PM »

Paragraphs are good.  I like paragraphs.

SeanD

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 02:58:33 PM »

Apples are good.  I like apples.

assawyer

• FTL Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 10:08:53 PM »

Not legally.  When you move to NH you only have a certain amount of days before you have to register and get inspected in NH.  It is either 30 or 60 days and explained pretty well on the DMV website.
You have 60 days once you establish "residency" in NH to change your vehicle registration according to NH RSA 261:45.

Also check out the following quotes for some legal definitions related to residency vs domicile:

Quote from: RSA 259:23 Domicile
RSA 259:23 Domicile. – ""Domicile'' shall mean a natural person taking up residence in a town or city within the state and includes but is not limited to occupying a primary place of habitation, placing children in a public school within the state, accepting gainful employment, or being a registered voter liable for a resident tax, provided, however, that no person shall be considered to be domiciled in this state who simultaneously claims residence in any other state for any of the purposes indicated above. In the case of other than a natural person, domicile shall also apply in the case of vehicles principally garaged or kept on the premises of a firm or corporation with a place of business within the state.

Quote from: 259:88 Resident.
RSA 259:88 Resident. – ""Resident'' shall mean a resident of the state as defined in RSA 21:6, except that no person shall be deemed to be a resident who claims residence in any other state for any purpose.

Quote from: RSA 21:6 Resident; Inhabitant.
RSA 21:6 Resident; Inhabitant. – A resident or inhabitant or both of this state and of any city, town or other political subdivision of this state shall be a person who is domiciled or has a place of abode or both in this state and in any city, town or other political subdivision of this state, and who has, through all of his actions, demonstrated a current intent to designate that place of abode as his principal place of physical presence for the indefinite future to the exclusion of all others.

Quote from: RSA 21:6-a Residence
RSA 21:6-a Residence. – Residence or residency shall mean a person's place of abode or domicile. The place of abode or domicile is that designated by a person as his principal place of physical presence for the indefinite future to the exclusion of all others. Such residence or residency shall not be interrupted or lost by a temporary absence from it, if there is an intent to return to such residence or residency as the principal place of physical presence.

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 10:00:55 AM »

A VIN number doesn't create revenue for the state.  Registration does.

There's your answer.

Pilot_MKN

• Take to the Skies
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 03:11:44 PM »

What does NH require for your vehicle? Here in Mississippi there's a yearly "inspection" that consists of you flashing your lights and honking your horn that gets you a cute $5 sticker for your windshield.
"Two wrongs don't make a right, but two Wrights make the airplane"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Car registration

// ]]>

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 89 queries.