Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Am prepared to reasess my position on Collections Agencies
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Am prepared to reasess my position on Collections Agencies  (Read 2151 times)

ttibby

I have understood that in free market there is room for people to offer a service such as debt collections.  There will always be people who default on loans and/or moneys owed.  Therefore larger businesses who have 1000's of accounts recievable would have a difficult time to manage a high volume of defaulted accounts, ending up costing the majority of honest customers more money.  However, I still do not believe that any company should be able to walk up to a collections agency, present a file folder, claim that certain monies are due and the collection should then just call up the person and say hey give us this money.  There should be due process, if it is deemed true and the money is owed, and the deadbeat has no stance or valid reason for witholding payment, then so be it allow the collections agency to make life difficult for the deadbeat.  However, if the person being collected from asks for a simple thing like a detailed bill for the last month of services it should be in the collections agency mandate  to help acquire this or any other document that would help resolve the matter in a positive fashion.  If the company refuses to provide proof beyond a non detailed invoice, or if the company is being non cooperative in the resolution on the situation and maintain a hard line stance the collections agent should be paid a small retainer fee and not remove themselves from the matter, the company should be made to be held to present it's case before a court, just as it for the consumer whoes only recourse is to go to court in a situation like this. 
Now if it's gone to court and there is still non payment, of course the collections would be free to be used again. 
I just think that corporate america should also be made to hold their end of the deal.  What I am saying is if they don't hold up to their end of the bargain,the contract is already broken so why should I continue to keep my part of the bargain?  Just to be a nice guy?.  An example I can cite is my parents suscribe to a cable company, for 3 weeks the cable grid of like 3 square blocks was cut, I don't knnow for what reason, non the less we had no TV, We didn't care much as we only watched about an hour a day(this is the time when kids actualy played outside) but my parents recieved a bill that month and there was no deduction for the outage.  When they called to see why not the cable company told them that it was not big enough on the grid and the mother company did not recognize the failure of the system, therefore billing was not going to be affected.  I remember being really upset and telling my parents not to pay that bill but they did.  My mom said that when her friends called and said that they wouldn't pay a pro-rated equivalant amount for the 3 weeks without service, they had been told that the collections agent were already waiting and the billing wasn't contestable. Now the outage wasn't big enough to be registered by the mother company but they were expecting a backlash.  I must also mention that there was only one service provider in my township.  Then there was my expample that I cited in a prior post about a bloated cell phone bill and my experience being placed in collections.
I guess that when I wrote about collection agencies in my first note, I took a stance on a very narrow point of view.  I wrote it from one personal experience, that ended up being quite negative with a collections agency and projected this single experience to the lot.  I guess that the problem I had is maybe is not a not common, the exception if you will,  but I fear that it could get out of control.  My writing had a definite bias to it and I apologize if it offended anybody. 
I also am not of the opinion that every processing done by a collection agency should be sent to the credit bureau,  If it is deemed legitimate that the moneys were witheld with reason, that steps have been taken by both parties to rectify the situation in a timely manner and that resttitution in full has been made, I think there is no reason for involving the credit bureau, and also the collections agencies should not use the threat of destroying credit ratings as a means of coersion. 

Cheers,

Eric...

fatcat

Re: Am prepared to reasess my position on Collections Agencies
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 04:39:23 PM »

If this guy keeps going the way he is I'm going to have to challenge him to a duel over who's the most boring poster on this forum...

ttibby

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 05:25:46 PM »

Fat Cat, I am sorry if you don't have the attention span to read two paragraphs of text or so, but if you can't... don't.  I'm not really looking for comments on my gramatical skills, I'm not writing the great american novel here and sometimes my form is a lillte off.  I may be a little long winded, and maybe I have alot to say, there might be typos in my future posts and there might be the ocasional misused word.  Furthurmore, maybe, you find what I need to say boring or of non interest to you but I am new here and I am learning the ettiquette of the freedom movement, I accept all coments that will help me progress in my freedon philosophies.  If you have something interesting to say that will help me understand the movement more, please do, if you want to comment about the quality of my prose go to a writing forum. There is a littl option to ignore a poster, do us bith a favor and click ignore for my user name, you won't hurt my feelings and you'll stop wasting your breath/type time and my time over such petty things that I really don't have the time to care about while posting a comment on a BBS.  Aside from that thank you for you interest.

And as it stand I would be more prepared today if I was sent to collections, but I was young and things were different then. 

thanks to the legitimate commenters

Cheers,

Eric...

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • No king but Christ; no law but liberty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 11:46:25 PM »

A person who would rather be right at the end of an argument than at the beginning is OK in my book.
I am an anarchist! HOOGA BOOGA BOOGA!!

Andy

• Verbose.
  • Ask me later.
    • View Profile
    • My Blawg
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 12:01:23 AM »

If this guy keeps going the way he is I'm going to have to challenge him to a duel over who's the most boring poster on this forum...

:lol:

A person who would rather be right at the end of an argument than at the beginning is OK in my book.

I'd rather be right at both, but point taken.

ttibby

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 06:53:01 AM »

Richard, If you put it that way I will thank you for the advice and use it to better myself.  And I'll also give you a bit in return.  My first post on the sight was just to post my opinion, which I have the right to and don't think that I presented it in a political fasihion.  If you didn't agree with my opinion, politely explain your position and I will gladly listen and compute all the information that I am given, reassess my position and either change my views or keep them.  If you come at a person with a hammer on an anvil every time not many people have the fortitude to continue posting, get put off and you will have just lost a fellow freedom fighter. 

I'd also like to thank the support from the other 2 posters, I do realise that I my thinking pattern was narrow minded and that I can't apply a global rational to an isolated incident.  In my head it was at least 2, My diirect experience with collections and my parents threat there of... but in my parents case, collections was never involved so...  I accept, my opinions were not founded on the whole reality.  I know when I am right, and I can also admit when I am wrong. 

Thanks,

Eric...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Am prepared to reasess my position on Collections Agencies

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.