Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Activism for it's own sake is silly.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Activism for it's own sake is silly.  (Read 7442 times)

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Activism for it's own sake is silly.
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 12:15:12 PM »

Sometimes activism is useful at getting others to step up and join the cause and also at allowing new activists to dip their toes in the water, lose a fear of being active, etc.

Saying "no" to the state can be hard at first, but it gets easier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DulmIBi9C5Y&feature=related

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2011, 03:38:21 PM »

Sometimes activism is useful at getting others to step up and join the cause and also at allowing new activists to dip their toes in the water, lose a fear of being active, etc.

I have never seen the original of that movie, but I know what its about and I've seen some of the other old movies. I cant wait for this new one, it should be an excellent scifi.  I remember watching the original movies as a kid, hiding behind the living room furniture up way past my bedtime :)
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011, 03:56:21 PM »

I have never seen the original of that movie, but I know what its about and I've seen some of the other old movies. I cant wait for this new one, it should be an excellent scifi.  I remember watching the original movies as a kid, hiding behind the living room furniture up way past my bedtime :)

The more anarchistic I get, the more I've sympathized with the apes in the third and fourth (this one) movies of the series.  There were anti-state messages in the whole series, but seemingly no more than in this film.

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2011, 05:47:18 PM »

Of course! Why d'you think Gard uses the snippet in the intro for his show?

Branlin

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 08:22:06 PM »

If people are not angry enough to stand up at this point they never will be. Jailed liberty activist are helping no one. Cops have gotten away with murder many times now, even children getting needlessly shot or arrested. Politicians couldn't be more blatant with their arrogant evil then they are now. The sheeple don't care. The statists are holding all the cards, so we need to change the game or better yet, quite playing.

I agree with everything you said; in fact, I feel like I'm reading my own post!

I'll be 61 in a couple of weeks, and I have seen a gradual increase in state power for as long as I can remember, and a rapid increase since 9/11.

I railed against seat belt laws here in NYS when they passed them sometime in the '80s. I finally got a ticket about 10 years ago, and I told myself that no way in hell will the state get another penny out of me for not wearing a seatbelt, so I wore it except at night when cops couldn't tell. I felt like at least I was resisting to some degree. Then I started wearing it all the time.

Younger people do not feel this infringement on liberty because the seatbelt law was in place before they were born. This is true of many other laws also.

As James Madison said: "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations."

It was true then and is true today. It is human nature to "go along."

I watch Judge Napalitano's show every night. He is the best liberty lover on national media that I'm aware of. But his daily obsession with the Constitution seems a bit silly to me. It's just another irrelevant piece of paper. Pointing out that this or that law is unconstitutional is just a big waste of time, it seems to me.

I don't see any way of turning this ship around. We are rotting from within, similar to the Roman Empire. Endless wars, debasing the currency to pay for them, widespread corruption throughout society, people are obsessed with hedonism, materialism, are rude, inconsiderate to others -- yet are ignorant about liberty and don't even seem to care about it.

Most people think that as long as they can go to the mall, a ball game, car race, concert, have tons of food available, can drive here or there, they are "free."

History is marching on and IMO Western civilization, as we know it, is on its way out. I won't be around in 50 years, but I'd bet my last dollar that it will be a very different world then. The "canaries in the coal mine" are warning about it, and if human history is a lesson then there is nothing anyone -- nor any group -- can do to reverse it.

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • No king but Christ; no law but liberty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2011, 09:04:29 PM »

This is why I'm an agorist. I say quietly circumvent the state until confrontation with it becomes unavoidable, and then decide whether to be civilly disobedient or not. Why go willingly to the government's altar of human sacrifice if it is possible just to ignore the bastards?
I am an anarchist! HOOGA BOOGA BOOGA!!

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2011, 07:13:55 AM »

Well, yeah.  8) To the last two posts.

Peppermint Pig

• Libertarian Adept
  • FTL Creative Team
  • This is where the fish lives.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2011, 12:25:10 PM »

Activism for the sake of activism? I disagree with this characterization. Maybe you disagree with the approach?

Individuals thrive on positive reinforcement and CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. Tearing people down when they believe they are living up to their ideals through activism or civil disobedience does not communicate your issue much less your SOLUTION.
Vigilance towards Liberty, in perpetuity!

Shara

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2011, 05:17:08 AM »

Well, as far as constructive criticism goes... I think that the Keene activists should attempt to behave in a way that tries to draw the community in, rather than making them feel like outsiders. On FreeKeene, someone posted a video of the public talking about what to do about Central Square. They seemed to blame the FSP'ers for the breach in tranquility that is going on in their town. I'm all for civil disobedience if it is over something important, but staged protests every two days might make one feel a bit oogy...
For instance, the video that they posted recently of Derrick and people marching around the square singing "Give Peace a Chance". I'm all for being able to smoke mj, but the marching and the singing seemed just weird, and I was just watching it. What were they marching for? the right to smoke marijuana in public? What if people don't want to be around smoke? Why can't they meet at someone's home? The people watching it likely were just as clueless on the protest. Maybe make some signs or something as to why you're protesting? I know it was well-meaning, and I am sorry that Derrick got arrested... But failure to assimilate to a new culture is a large reason that racism exists. That is likely the reason that many of the natives in Keene are starting to dislike FSP'ers. Try to preach your message 1 on 1 with people, rather than in large groups and protests.
Just think about it... How would you feel if a local church was doing what you're doing? Preaching through megaphones at those on the street, speaking in tongues in central square, and taking communion in public, it would just feel weird, right?!
Not much to say when you're high above the mucky-muck... yeah...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Activism for it's own sake is silly.

// ]]>

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 33 queries.