Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Accusations against Hostgator, don't panic, but be aware
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Accusations against Hostgator, don't panic, but be aware  (Read 2087 times)

slayerboy

• Untitled
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
Accusations against Hostgator, don't panic, but be aware
« on: November 01, 2010, 07:02:52 AM »

Found this on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/dz9fg/hostgator_loses_customer_credit_card_details/

I happen to work for a rather large hosting company (read: http://www.hostgator.com) in the capacity as a System Administrator and was recently privy to the knowledge that the entire blade of billing servers were compromised and that all the credit card information stored in the recurring billing database was stolen and is now entirely in the wind; This includes full credit card numbers, expiration dates and CVV2 codes.

This company has chosen to hide this fact instead of report it to the appropriate authorities so I spoke out against them anonymously in a thread they keep stickied in SA-Mart in order to warn others that they should take the proper precautions with their financial data. Unfortunately, due to the amount of money they are paying Lowtax for advertisement, you are entirely unable to speak out against them despite whatever proof you may have; they went ahead and banned me. They even edited my posts and removed all the information I posted as a warning.

They've already provided all my IP and e-mail address information to the company and I've been fired so I couldn't care less what's going to happen from here. A friend of mine recommended I post this information here so that the few people who may read this could get the word out and let people know that it's really not safe to trust SA. The administration isn't about exchange of information or the formation of a strong community, they are about the all-mighty dollar.

So far it seems to be just accusations, but there needs to be investigations into this and what's happening there. The owner of hostgator supposedly went onto the thread linked at reddit to dispute the whole thing.  I see this as nothing but a smear campaign, but I dunno.  Just wanted to give you guys a heads up.

error

• AMP Call-In Line Provider
  • FTL Crew
  • Department of Homeland Stupidity
    • View Profile
    • Department of Homeland Stupidity
Re: Accusations against Hostgator, don't panic, but be aware
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 07:23:04 PM »

Looks like total bullshit.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 07:44:52 PM »

Yeah I've noticed online businesses post anonymous FUD campaigns about each other all the time like this. Even small time businesses like Salvia dealers and dropshipper companies are subject to this. I wouldnt worry about it.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Bizurke

• whitty title goes here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 12:34:02 AM »

Secrecy is the name of the game in the web hosting industry. As someone who works in web hosting I can assure you that you would be amazed at the things that happen with no one ever finding out. Entire databases of customer information (including CC) being stolen, every password on a large bank of servers being compromised, etc. This stuff happens more often than you would like to think, and to pretty much all the major players. Secrecy is so large that if a hack happens that costs the company many many thousands of dollars they will still not report it to the FBI in fear of the information being leaked via FOIA request. In some cases they will hunt down the perpetrator and offer them either free hosting for life to be quiet, or on the rare occasion a job.

Occasionally I meet up with a bunch of other nerds that work mostly in hosting, and we swap horror stories from work. It really is widespread and isn't going to change because if a company releases info about their security shortcomings to the public they will lose their customers and go out of business.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Accusations against Hostgator, don't panic, but be aware

// ]]>

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 32 queries.