Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  3 hosts 1 caller
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3 hosts 1 caller  (Read 3651 times)

Fred

• View Profile
3 hosts 1 caller
« on: January 24, 2011, 10:54:03 AM »

To me, it seems awkward for the caller when you have like Ian, Mark, and Meg all talking to a caller almost at once.  If I were the caller, sometimes it would make it hard to get my point across.  Because say the conversation starts with Mark exchanging comments with the caller and then in the middle Meg joins in before Mark and the caller have time to make their respective points.  It affects the continuity of the conversation alot to me.

Otherwise, I like the show!  Keep up the good work!

FTL_Mark

• I'm a Moderator now, but I don't want to hear your whining!
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 3 hosts 1 caller
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 04:11:07 PM »

To me, it seems awkward for the caller when you have like Ian, Mark, and Meg all talking to a caller almost at once.  If I were the caller, sometimes it would make it hard to get my point across.  Because say the conversation starts with Mark exchanging comments with the caller and then in the middle Meg joins in before Mark and the caller have time to make their respective points.  It affects the continuity of the conversation alot to me.

Otherwise, I like the show!  Keep up the good work!

I have felt similarly. Ian and I have had conversations about it. Do you have thoughts regarding solutions?
No one has conjectured that I could quite possibly be a Libertarian posing as an Anarchist trying to pretend to still be a Libertarian; or what I like to call an Anarcho-Hustler.

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 05:01:47 PM »

No, not really - other than asking the caller who they might want to discuss their topic with.  But that seems lame!

LTKoblinsky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 09:40:04 PM »

hmm, it doesn't seem lame to me. If you set a precedent of directed questions (maybe fields of expertise e.g. Ian on drug laws and Mark on...advertising), callers would do it naturally. Also, it doesn't necessarily have to exclude the other two hosts from participating...

My wife's new site. Covers fashion, motherhood, our journey to NH, and soon activism.

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • No king but Christ; no law but liberty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 09:55:52 PM »

hmm, it doesn't seem lame to me. If you set a precedent of directed questions (maybe fields of expertise e.g. Ian on drug laws and Mark on...advertising), callers would do it naturally. Also, it doesn't necessarily have to exclude the other two hosts from participating...

Right, it would sort of set who gets precedence in the conversation, with the others interjecting occasionally.

It already works that way if someone calls in and says something like "hey I have a question for [host's name]."
I am an anarchist! HOOGA BOOGA BOOGA!!

MotorBoatingSOB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 03:43:38 AM »

h(maybe fields of expertise e.g. Ian on drug laws and Mark on...advertising), callers would do it naturally.

I gotta stick up for Mark on this. He is also the expert on prison, the bible/religion in general and other specific topics that aren't coming immediately to mind. He also brings a lot of value to the show's content since he tends to be more pragmatic (though this seems to be becoming less true over the last year or so), which counterbalances Ian's ways.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  3 hosts 1 caller

// ]]>

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 31 queries.